Why no gd test? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious as to why some of you are declining the GD test. The fact that I have to drink isn't a good enough reason for me because I drink pop occasionally and while I eat lots of good stuff, I'm no saint. I'm 32 years old and obese, but didn't have GD last pg. I know all the reasons to do the test, but don't really have a good enough reason to not do it.

caffix.gif

#2 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM

I have no need for it at this stage

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#3 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM

I may/may not do the test this time. (I did it last time.) The only reasons I have for not wanting to do the test are that a) the drink tastes worse to me than regular soda and b) it made me pretty nauseous last time. I'm not wholly convinced that the test is necessary for most women, but I probably wouldn't have any issues with it if it just involved drinking a can of Coke instead of that glucola crap. For what it's worth I also tend to have really low blood sugars.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#4 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Something I found very interesting to read: "A Guide to Effectice Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth". It's an overview of results of the best available research about effects of specific maternity practices.

Here is the part about GD and it made me want to decline the test:

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/pdfs/gecpc3ch11.pdf
#5 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 PM

really?!?! it's purposely trying to throw your body into an abnormal state to see if it reacts normally. and then when you 'fail' the one hour OGTT they have you do the three hour which requires eating a high carb diet for a few days (i.e. crap), then starving yourself and then drinking even more abnormal crap and then poking you once/hour for three hours while you get dizzy and naseauous from the sugar rush your body may very well not be used to.

it's crap. hypocratic oath. do no harm. why wouldn't you just have a pg mama test herself fasting (i.e. first thing in the am) and then one hour after a regular meal and have them report the results and then if there appears to be something abnormal, have mama do more regular (4x/day for a week) testing and then react from there if there appears to be a problem/pattern.

no it's so much better to have someone purposely drink crap at an arbitrary time and look for an arbitrary # - whether or not they are at risk or appear to be and without regard to how they may normally eat.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#6 of 20 Old 06-12-2010, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen24 View Post
Something I found very interesting to read: "A Guide to Effectice Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth". It's an overview of results of the best available research about effects of specific maternity practices.

Here is the part about GD and it made me want to decline the test:

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/pdfs/gecpc3ch11.pdf
Thanks for the link. I found it interesting.

caffix.gif

#7 of 20 Old 06-12-2010, 05:16 PM

I do want to test for GD, I have done the research and personally feel it is important for me. But I don't feel it's necessary to do the glucose screening test for it .. so I'm doing an alternative test. Fasting blood sugar, then regular breakfast and test blood sugar after that. Much less invasive with similar results - minus the nasty sugar drink and awful ill feeling that will come with it!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#8 of 20 Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I do want to test for GD, I have done the research and personally feel it is important for me. But I don't feel it's necessary to do the glucose screening test for it .. so I'm doing an alternative test. Fasting blood sugar, then regular breakfast and test blood sugar after that. Much less invasive with similar results - minus the nasty sugar drink and awful ill feeling that will come with it!
Right. I think it's important for me too. I've got risk factors b/c I am overweight and I'm older. BUT the test you're suggesting makes so much more good sense to me than glucola, yk?

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#9 of 20 Old 06-12-2010, 07:04 PM

I have had the test with my past two pregnancies (no gestational diabetes) and then I was diagnosed with it this time at 8 weeks (they found elevated glucose on an unrelated blood test and decided to do the one hour test). I have NO risk factors for it and testing indicates I was not diabetic prior to pregnancy. So I definitely think the test is important (although an alternative test with fasting numbers/regular food instead would be much better than that gross drink).

Nikki
Mom to my boys A (6), J (4), and my baby girl A (10/25/10)
#10 of 20 Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 PM

As for why they have you drink glucola, my guess would be because they want something that has a standard amount of sugar. So they know when you take it you're getting x amount of sugar. The amount you're getting from a regular meal can vary widely depending on what kind of ingredients are in it (ie whole wheat flour instead of white, honey instead of white sugar, etc).
#11 of 20 Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM

I declined it with my first pg bc besides being over 25, I had none of the risk factors for it. DS was an average weight, and even though I gained 45 pounds myself, I went back to my "normal" weight within a year of him being born. So I'm planning on declining it this time, too. I don't eat processed foods, period, and I've been biking 10+ miles a week at this point.

I think it's like a LOT of things with maternity care in this country - it goes overboard by insisting all women test (the rate of GD is actually under 5%, but the way the current test is run, your chance of being diagnosed is somewhere between 3-15%). Not to mention that different providers have different cut-offs of what's considered GD, and that your body processes glucose differently at 24 vs 28 weeks. Until it's standardized enough that the results are consistent accross the board, I don't see what the point of testing for it is (for me, personally, that is).

Henci Goer has really good things to say about GD testing, this is a good article to read: http://www.ivillage.com/gestational-...ach/6-a-129188. And she writes more about it in "Obstetric Myths and Research Realities", though I can't seem to find it online right now, this is an excerpt that was in the book: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

I also find it interesting that other countries don't routinely test for GD the way the US does - I think things would be much, much better if the actual importance of nutrition during pregnancy was taught and tracked than making every pregnant woman drink some glucola (and hyperventilating when some of them turn it down...).
#12 of 20 Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM

I, for one, am glad I did the test b/c I was dx last PG at 28 weeks and this time at 18 weeks with GD. I would rather KNOW and be able to control my blood sugars to keep the baby safe and healthy. That being said, this alternative test sounds SO much better than drinking the orange syrup garbage!

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
#13 of 20 Old 06-13-2010, 10:11 PM

I generally take a low-tech approach to pregnancy and birth and, after reading Henci Goer's dissection of the GD screen, totally lost interest in doing it unless I had a really compelling reason (like actual symptoms of diabetes during pregnancy).

I'm glad other mamas have access to it if they want it, of course, but it's just not right for me.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#14 of 20 Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM

For me, I just dont think it is needed.

Tod and Ang
parents to Justin, Sage, Bailey, Hanna and JonJon Expecting another little one in Oct 2010.
#15 of 20 Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 AM

I think this quote from the Henci Goer article linked above sums it up.

Neither the OGTT nor the screening test are reliable tests in that they give different results when repeated in the same person.

Developing true diabetes during pg is a problem. But the research shows the tests and treatments used during pg don't actually improve outcomes for mothers and babies! It OVERIDENTIFIES at-risk mothers, and the extra interventions that are overdone on mothers diagnosed with GD cause increased harm to mother/baby. In the balance of risks/benefits, I just don't see the benefits. The screenings are no more accurate at identifying GD than a clinical observation of other risk factors. If you have the risk factors, you'd be better off eating nutritiously and exercising rather than being "diagnosed."

It is business as usual in US obstetrics... test, test, test, and treat, treat, treat as many women as possible to attempt (often unsuccessfully) to prevent a few rare outcomes, and then IGNORE the many more negative outcomes that result from treatments themselves. Because, you know, nature screws things up all the time, but if it's a new TECHNOLOGY it can do no harm.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#16 of 20 Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 PM

I haven't decided, but I'm leaning more towards not having it. For two reasons: one, we are paying out of pocket and money is extremely tight right now, we don't need another thing to pay on top of what we already are paying (the gd test is not included in mw charge). Two, I don't really see a need, DH has Type 1 and we are both well informed and have easy access to a glucometer to test myself (which I do every once in a while).

Silvia
Wife of 3 yrs to Jason, mommy to Bundle (6/8/08), expecting Pumkin (10/8/10)
#17 of 20 Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM

I am keeping track of my own numbers since i was gd last time, also no risk factors. But when i wanted the test strips I couldn't get them without a prescription. No pharm would sell them to me. And even if they did insurance wouldn't cover without a prescription and it was 250.99 for the test strips full price. but the insurance was a moot point b.c they wouldn't sell them. You can though buy glucose tablets over the counter which is odd as that can do a hell of a lot more harm then testing you sugar can. Anyone find this disgusting???? If you want to watch your sugars you better know someone with test strips, otherwise you are s.o.l. (the perinatologist did write me a script so I do have them now and yes I hide the stash in case some desperate pre diabetic breaks in looking for them).
#18 of 20 Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think this quote from the Henci Goer article linked above sums it up.

Neither the OGTT nor the screening test are reliable tests in that they give different results when repeated in the same person.

Developing true diabetes during pg is a problem. But the research shows the tests and treatments used during pg don't actually improve outcomes for mothers and babies! It OVERIDENTIFIES at-risk mothers, and the extra interventions that are overdone on mothers diagnosed with GD cause increased harm to mother/baby. In the balance of risks/benefits, I just don't see the benefits. The screenings are no more accurate at identifying GD than a clinical observation of other risk factors. If you have the risk factors, you'd be better off eating nutritiously and exercising rather than being "diagnosed."

It is business as usual in US obstetrics... test, test, test, and treat, treat, treat as many women as possible to attempt (often unsuccessfully) to prevent a few rare outcomes, and then IGNORE the many more negative outcomes that result from treatments themselves. Because, you know, nature screws things up all the time, but if it's a new TECHNOLOGY it can do no harm.
I bolded the middle part of your post. This sums it up for me. I have been going over this in my head and it has been driving me crazy. As in, waking up at 3 am and researching GD for a few hours.
And I am at peace with my choice to not go ahead and take the test. So thank you for all of your thoughtful replies. I appreciate it. The only thing now that pops into my head from time to time is that I need a Dr.s note to fly next month and I worry that she won't write one for me if I don't take the test. See how I am ... My hubby thinks I am nuts to worry about that, because what does not taking the GD test have to do with flying? But apparently I NEED something to stress about at all times.

caffix.gif

#19 of 20 Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Developing true diabetes during pg is a problem. But the research shows the tests and treatments used during pg don't actually improve outcomes for mothers and babies! It OVERIDENTIFIES at-risk mothers, and the extra interventions that are overdone on mothers diagnosed with GD cause increased harm to mother/baby.
I would have to agree with this. Especially based on my post below complaining about all the extra tests they do if you have GD. My OB last time was great and I had no problems getting to 40 weeks with a few minor interventions along the way...a few extra ultrasounds. This time around I am worried about my new OB being overly skewed by my having GD. That being said, I am confident in my own stand on when and where I want to give birth so that makes me feel more confident too. Overall, I am glad that I KNOW I have GD and I will agree to or deny tests as I have to do so along the way but I know not all women are as strong-willed as I am in this respect and often just do what a doctor tells them to do.

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
#20 of 20 Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM

I have done A1C instead, but probably won't repeat it like the OB I was seeing had wanted because I discontinued care with her. The reason they were doing it is because I have Type 2 diabetes that stabilized during my past pregnancies & come this time around I have had my diabetes under control for over 3 years now. I'm now planning to UP/UC so I am just watching what I eat, exercising, & doing UA.

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page