Do you plan on having music during birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I am(although not sure how this will work with hypnobabies.) because my husband used to dj and we are both major music freaks.

I plan on making several playlists with various moods so if I am feeling like I want softer relaxing music I can play one list and if I want energetic music I can play another list(yes I know this sounds a bit crazy!lol!)

Whats on your play list?
#2 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 AM

i'll bring my mp3 player to the hospital if i remember it. i'll just listen to the stuff i normally listen to which is mostly alternative metal.
#3 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 AM

Music is a big part of our lives but I am not planning on having music at the birth. When I gave birth to DS I felt really irritated and overstimulated any sound that wasn't my own breathing or moaning. (as well as light, movement, touch, etc)

I guess I'm kind of a cave birther.
#4 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 AM

I love music, but like momasana, I want a lot of quiet during labor. I might play something early on, but once I get going, I want it as quiet as possible!
#5 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 AM

I probably woulda punched anyone that played music during any of my past labors....
#6 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 AM

If you are using hypnobabies, I would think that music in earphones would be more productive than music playing in the whole room. Music (or affirmations or viz scripts) playing in your earphones will help you to stay in your zone and minimize outside distractions. Music playing in the general room area will be frequently interrupted by people talking/whispering, the phone ringing, the dog barking, the door opening, etc. Not as effective, IMO!

: : Candace McCollett, CBE, CLD, student midwife : : : : :
#7 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 01:29 PM

I planned on it for both of my previous births, but never actually listened to it. I might make a playlist this time, just in case the spirit moves. All of my previous playlists involved a lot of music with repetative themes-- lots of Libana, who do acapella chants, and world music.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#8 of 21 Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I plan to have music available, and will probably preselect some things that seem like they'd be good, but I don't know if I'll actually use it.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#9 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post
Music is a big part of our lives but I am not planning on having music at the birth. When I gave birth to DS I felt really irritated and overstimulated any sound that wasn't my own breathing or moaning. (as well as light, movement, touch, etc)

Me too! I had all sorts of music ready, as well as my hypnobabies cds and in the end I couldn't listen to any of it. I was especially disappointed that I couldn't stand the hypnobabies' lady's voice as soon as labour started. I was absolutely in love with her just the day before!

The only exception was one hour earlier in labour when I made DH get my anciend CD & tape collection from university out of the garage and I plowed through it, listening to about 5 minutes of each cd. It was too funny to see those cds spread all over the living room floor when we got home from the birthing centre with DS the next day.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#10 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaWhite View Post
I probably woulda punched anyone that played music during any of my past labors....
I made a whole playlist for my labor and births and when it came down to it I wanted absolutely NO noise. I didn't want to talk or be talked to or touched. Music would have annoyed the crap out of me. I was too focused, it would have been distracting.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#11 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post

Yep, love this! Cave birther. Ds2 was born in the basement so that fits! It was like a little (clean and tidy ) cave.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#12 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM

We did the same thing for DS. My DH made a couple of special cds but I hated hearing words. I sent the MW searching for "beach music". lol Bless her - she looked in every room. Finally found some D'Jango Rhinehart who is all guitar, no words. This time I bought a few cds that are reiki, meditative oriented. We'll see....

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#13 of 21 Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM

I too am a music freak, and I enjoyed lots of music during labor with my daughter. I agree with Thistle - I did not want any words. I needed my mind to be able to wander. I listened to every Thievery Corp. CD we own, which is several. Also, lots of down tempo electronic. She was born to Kruder and Dorfmeister's The K&D sessions. Our midwives loved the music - we gave them copies as a thank you!
#14 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 AM

I made a whole selection of mp3s to listen to in labor-- we forgot to use it (my labor was blessedly fast) but it was nice to listen to afterwards...

I will probably make another playlist this time, mostly because it was fun and reassuring to me last time that I would have something to try to distract me if I needed it.
#15 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM

For DS, I thought that I would want some music but I turned out to be a quiet birther and wanted the room to be silent. I'll still have some CD's with me this time in case I'm feeling in the mood for some Rusted Root.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#16 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM

I used music last time, the midwives and nurses found my random slection pretty funny. I didn't want any touch or other noise, but the music was nicely predictable. Especially pink floyd ala comfortably numb

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#17 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Nope. Love music, but it would drive me nuts during labor/birth. I might listen to something before things get too intense, but nothing intentional or during the "down to business" parts of the process. The sound of my OWN voice annoys me then.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#18 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 AM

I thought about it but I think it might be too hard to concentrate on my breathing.

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#19 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM

We had music last time because DH made a special playlist for us.....but since I was in the bathroom pretty much the whole time, the playlist mostly benefited my guests

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#20 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM

I had music at my second birth. A wonderful instrumental band called This Will Destroy You. I think they are perfect - very epic and moving, just right for the experience. They only have a few CDs and we had to make a playlist from them since some of their songs get a little loud to fit in nicely. I listened to them all through the end of my pregnancy and during most of my labor. They were PERFECT - very easy to flow along with and sort of hypnotic. Plus, as a bonus, I love their music more now b/c of associating it with Lillian's epic birth.
#21 of 21 Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM

I had music with DD and I love it!! I am planning on useing the same CD as I did before I dont know who is on the CD it is a mix CD that was used in my birthing class and I just fell in love with it. I think music helps me focus and kept me clam, so thats my plan again!!

Darnell ~ Momma to Lilly (09/07) and expecting #2 ****5***10****15****20****25***30****35****40**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page