To the previous HB'ers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What did you do to get your house ready for the HB? As far as cleaning goes...what did you use, etc..?

Thanks!
Meredith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 PM

I didn't do a whole lot in order to get the house ready, just the standard cleaning stuff. The week before labor started I went into serious nesting mode and scrubbed the heck out of everything, but I don't think I could recreate that kind of energy - I think it has to generate from pending birth.

I use seventh generation cleaning products and vinegar to clean my home.

The only thing special that I did to prepare was buy new, matching coffee mugs in case the midwives wanted coffee. Totally unnecessary but I was obsessed with it at the time.
#3 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Nothing. Ds3 came about a month earlier than I expected (my first two were nearly 42 weeks, and he came at 38.5)... so my house was a great big mess! Birth went fine, anyways!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#4 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That does help

Meredith
#5 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM

I thought about your question a little bit more last night and wanted to add a few things. A few weeks prior to birth I washed all of my birthing sheets and towels and put them in a garbage bag to keep then clean and dust free.

I put up darkening curtains in my bedroom where I planned to birth, in case I was laboring/birthing during the day and my room was really bright.

And I created a game-plan for my dogs during the birth. I wasn't sure how they would act with me in labor and I didn't want to have to worry about it at the time. We also made sure the baby gate fit the bedroom door so we could keep the dogs out of the room once the baby came. This time around I know they (the dogs) won't be any trouble so I'm not worried about it.
#6 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 PM

We also washed all the old sheets and had the HB kit at the ready
(do you have a list? I can see if I can dig mine out from last time... midwife hasn't given me one yet for this pregnancy). We didn't rent a special birthing tub, but dh scrubbed our bathtub with baking soda since I laboured for a while in there. It was more about him wanting to be useful than any real fear of "microbials." We also use 7th Generation products, vinegar and baking soda as cleaning agents.
#7 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheashea View Post
We also washed all the old sheets and had the HB kit at the ready
(do you have a list? I can see if I can dig mine out from last time... midwife hasn't given me one yet for this pregnancy). We didn't rent a special birthing tub, but dh scrubbed our bathtub with baking soda since I laboured for a while in there. It was more about him wanting to be useful than any real fear of "microbials." We also use 7th Generation products, vinegar and baking soda as cleaning agents.
My midwife hasn't given me a list yet..I hope she does soon! I am ready to start working on it, since I know it will take me a while with a 2 1/2 year old.
#8 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Well I did mager cleaning with DD but I think it was partly because we had just finished/ still finishing remodling our house so to me it need a lot of cleaning. I also remeber cleaning my carpets like 3 times a week before she came the day I went into labor I washed my car( a big suv) inside and out and I washed a load of towles. Just to make sure they were fresh and clean. I am not sure what I will be doing this time just because my DD will be turning 3 about 2 weeks before DS should be arriving. But DD was about a week and a half early.....maybe. They will be sharing b-days : ) but not only that I watch kids at my house so I will have my 3 year old a 15 month old and a 9 month old.......yeah um not sure how I will get everything ready but it will all workout!

Darnell ~ Momma to Lilly (09/07) and expecting #2 ****5***10****15****20****25***30****35****40**
#9 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM

I just did the standard cleaning and barely got that done as well. I made sure bathroom was clean, that was important to me since I knew time would more than likely be spent there.

As far as cleaners go. I don't use any toxic chemicals to clean ever anyway so it was just what I usually cleaned my house with.
#10 of 12 Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM

During the last month I made sure *all* my supplies were purchased and gathered in one area together. Made sure towels/sheets were clean. Blew up the birth tub and got the house cleaned up enough for MIL to come over (in other words, practically perfect).
I just used my regular cleaning products (mostly vinegar/baking soda), nothing special and I didn't go crazy trying to sterilize the house. Just clean was fine.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#11 of 12 Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM

I had all the homebirth supplies my MW told me to have on hand and had the birth tub tested and the hoses somewhere easy to reach. I had a waterproof sheet on my bed and our couch underneath two sets of clean sheets which I was so grateful for (ending up having him on the couch and ended up peeing in my bed )

Other than that I didn't really clean...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#12 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 AM

I just got the old sheets, towels and pillows ready and put them with my birth kit.

I also attempted to make a veggie lasagna and put it in the freezer so my birth crew would have something to eat, but it didn't work out like I planned.

I don't think much cleaning was happening at that point. I also never had that burst of nesting energy everyone keeps talking about.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page