How much weight have you gained so far? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a little freaked out because I have gained so little weight even though my belly is very large. I am measuring more than my weeks (by about 2 cm) and this is my third child. I was carrying extra weight when I got pregnant, so I'm not overly nervous but am just wondering if anyone else has gained so little and what more of an average for October due dates might be. FYI, I've gained 8 lbs and that is with trying very hard this past week to eat constantly, constantly (including ice cream and cake, LOL!). I am never one to diet and I love to eat healthfully so I feel like I eat well and frequently (meals plus snacks) but I just can't eat as much as one sitting as I could before being pregnant (there's just not enough room).

Anyone else feeling like this?

How much weight have you gained so far? Do you feel good about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Is your healthcare provider concerned? Depending on how much extra weight you were carrying pre-pregnancy, your recommended weight gain could be lower than average. If your belly is growing, I would think everything would be okay!

For what it's worth, I've gained 22 pounds, I think, and I'm just past 29 weeks.
#3 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM

I've been worried about my small weight gain too. I've only gained about 9lbs, and I wasn't overweight to start with so I feel like I should have gained much more by now. I try to make myself eat more, but I get full so fast now and I don't like to constantly be eating - I'm more of a 3 meals person. We just got back from a vacation and I was sure I had gained some weight, but it turned out to only be a pound and I lost it in the next two days. Bleah. DH keeps telling me not to worry.

ETA: I'm 28 weeks.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#4 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 PM

I'm 29 weeks on Monday and I've gained 22 pounds. (28 if you count the 6 pounds I lost during the first trimester.) I was neither overweight nor underweight at the start of this pregnancy. As of 28 weeks I was measuring 1 cm (1 week) ahead. At this point in my last pregnancy I had gained less and was measuring 4 weeks ahead.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#5 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM

21 or 22 pounds at 27 weeks. Most of this weight has come on in the last 4-6 weeks. OB says it's normal. Feels like a lot though.

Ask your doc or midwife if you should be concerned. Your body knows how much weight to gain (assuming you are eating healthy).

Me: 31 y/o, DH: 32 y/o - Happily Married for 3 1/2 years. Preggo w/ #1, EDD: 10/27/10. Momma to Oliver (pup)
#6 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 AM

I started this pregnancy 20 lbs or so overweight (and 24 lbs heavier than I started with my first pregnancy) and I have gained 11 lbs so far. I am 28 weeks and a day. My weight fluctuates a lot sometimes showing a loss, sometimes a gain, but the net gain is 11 lbs. I was worried about it but my fundal height is normal, my belly is definitely growing, and my baby girl is doing great.
#7 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 AM

I started out overweight, and I've gained a total of 14 lbs at my 28 week appointment, since November.

I feel great. I'm surprised I've gained so little, but I don't think it's a big deal. Weight is just one number among a bunch of others, and how you feel is more important than weight.

I am really sick of the "if you started out overweight, try not to gain too much wieght" advice, because it's not helpful.

I am more of the opinion that if you feel good, the baby looks good, and your blood pressure, etc, is good, keep on doing what you're doing and if you feel lousy (or something is wrong), try something else.

I was originally told by a nurse at a different practice that I should aim to gain only 15 lbs my entire pregnancy, and I disagree with that advice, because that means that I would actually be losing weight, since baby, placenta, extra uterus, and water retention would account for about 25 lbs in most pregnancies.

Ok, time to get off my soapbox!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#8 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Weight is just one number among a bunch of others, and how you feel is more important than weight.

I am really sick of the "if you started out overweight, try not to gain too much wieght" advice, because it's not helpful.

I am more of the opinion that if you feel good, the baby looks good, and your blood pressure, etc, is good, keep on doing what you're doing and if you feel lousy (or something is wrong), try something else.
Well said!

I started out overweight but I have not weighed myself once.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#9 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm still trying to understand the weight gain parameters. I know most of the weight will come from baby, placenta, fluid, etc. but what about the rest? If I make healthy food choices and keep myself hydrated, does it really matter? I'm asking this in all sincerity. The 25-35 lbs rule seems so arbitrary and I'm wondering how hard I need to try to achieve this over keeping my focus on taking good care of myself.
#10 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillianB View Post
I'm still trying to understand the weight gain parameters. I know most of the weight will come from baby, placenta, fluid, etc. but what about the rest? If I make healthy food choices and keep myself hydrated, does it really matter? I'm asking this in all sincerity. The 25-35 lbs rule seems so arbitrary and I'm wondering how hard I need to try to achieve this over keeping my focus on taking good care of myself.

I'll be 30w along tomorrow and have gained 27lbs. I eat and feel healthy and that's all that matters to me. At my 29w appt this past tuesday i measured in at 28cm. BP is wonderful and no swelling what so ever. MW isn't concerned about my weight gain nor am i. I'll continue to eat healthy and stay as active as feels right and the numbers can eat it, lol!

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#11 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 12:17 PM

i'm 30 weeks and am up 20 lbs. i've noticed the numbers going backwards the past few weeks so i've been losing a little instead of gaining, but i'm not worried. i'm eating good (these kids are on a "lets go get ice cream!" kick) but my appetite definitely isn't anything like it was in the 1st and 2nd trimesters. maybe it's the heat. or lack of room.
#12 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RiverSky, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 26 weeks, and haven't gained more than about 3lbs above my prepregnancy weight. I started out 10-15lbs above my ideal weight, lost all that during the first trimester, and have gained back maybe 10-12 lbs since then, holding pretty steady over the past month and a half or so.

A lot of the time I'm fine with it. I eat when I'm hungry (though my appetite a lot of days isn't particularly high). I don't try to restrict calories at all. My meals are usually healthy, with lots of protein and plants. I eat full fat everything. My diet is probably lower carb due to not eating grains on a regular basis, but I still eat fruit and sugar. I eat dessert most days. My energy is a bit low... but I'm in the third trimester, so that's not exactly pathological! I have enough energy to go for bike rides dragging the trailer and stuff like that. The baby was looking healthy and measuring on track at the ultrasound at 22 weeks.

Sometimes I worry. Mainly that I'll be treated as high risk if I don't gain "enough" (which I kind of doubt I will at this point, unless I gain a bunch of water weight) and that this will impact my delivery options, but also that either my own health or the health of the baby will be impacted - I know women who are very overweight can often safely lose during pregnancy, but I didn't have all that much extra to start with. Plus I've had blood pressure issues with both of my other pregnancies (pre-e with the first, significant blood pressure increase during the last week or so of pregnancy without other symptoms with my second), so I worry a bit extra about nutrition.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#13 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillianB View Post
No, it doesn't.

Forget achieving the arbitrary amount of weight you "should" gain, just focus on eating well, eating the rainbow, and let the rest take care of itself.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#14 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

I was about 25 pounds heavier than I would like to be starting this pregnancy.

I had gained 8.5 pounds at my 26 week appointment.

I'd honestly like to keep my weight gain to 20 pounds - but not by any restriction, I'm just trying to make good choices and eat lots of fresh, local produce instead of crap.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#15 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Started out heavier than I'd like, for sure.

Have gained 10lbs (as of 29 weeks, last week). Will be 30 weeks tomorrow.

Not in the least concerned about how much or little I gain. Feeling good, and everything check out a-okay and healthy as can be at all my appointments.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#16 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm 28 weeks and I've gained about 30 lbs. Does that mean I win? I was average weight pre-pregnancy. The weird thing is that I don't think it really shows, and friends have said the same. I also puked my guts out to the point of being hospitalized in the first tri and my appetite has never been great. I must just be really dense, and I think my metabolism slows way down during pregnancy. I had gained the same by now with DS1 and looked/carried exactly the same way. I expect to gain the same as I did with him in total - about 45 lbs. I eat healthy and feel pretty good, baby looks great so I'm not the least bit concerned and my MWs have never commented. I lost everything in about 6-8 mos without trying after DS was born, which was a fine timeline for me (I was just happy to lose it at all!) - I'm just hoping it's the same this time around.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#17 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Reading this thread just proves that there is no normal or correct way to gain weight during pregnancy. I don't even see a trend; we are all so different.

I started out at average/normal BMI for my height, and I've gained 15 lbs. at 30 weeks. It has all been in my belly. Still, when I turn sideways, I get the, "Wow.. You're about ready to pop!" comments. Hehe...

I'm a professor and a domestic goddess married to my ideal mate. We are living in bliss with our new baby girl, Rowan Graham, born October 8, 2010.
#18 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM

I'll be honest: I try not to pay attention when I weigh in at the midwife's at each apppointment. I eat healthily in general (with some exceptions!) and take good care of myself-- I am trying not to get hung up on the numbers this time, since they have made me anxious in my past pregnancies. She gives me a summary each time ("You've gained back what you lost in the first tri, I'm glad to see that" or "right on track"). I worried a ton both times (actually, the first time I thought I wasn't gaining enough; the second, that I was gaining too much. And... I gained almost the same amount both times, I just lost less at the beginning of the second pregnancy!) I guess my advice would be to not fret about it, especially if your care provider thinks things are going well.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#19 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM

At 29 weeks I'm up 25 lbs. A good deal of that was 1st trimester weight gain after loosing about 35 lbs in the previous 6 months and starting from a "normal" bmi. Yes, it was extra weight gain but I think it was necessary to get both my mind and body out of a caloric restriction mode. Now I feel great, have tons of energy, and no swelling since I eat mostly home-prepared healthy foods. I eat full fat and while I don't actively restrict carbs in general, I don't eat a lot of grains to begin with and sugars & refined carbs make me feel off so I avoid them.

I think it is easily possible to gain too much or little weight such that it compromises mama's or baby's optimum health but I think putting guidelines on weight gain or even to address just weight gain itself is self-defeating. Every mama needs to think about getting good nutrition, not how much weight she is or isn't gaining.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#20 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM

I will be 27 weeks tomorrow and have gained 24-ish pounds I am ok with it, it is less than last time and my friends have all said it doesn't show so its all good! I am not a blob on the couch eating fast food so I figure my body is just doing what it needs to do.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#21 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm 29 weeks and I've gained 15 lbs so far. By this time with my first I was up over 30 lbs. I started out at the same weight both times. With my second, I was up about 10, but I was also about 20 lbs overweight. I weigh about the same now as I did when I got pregnant with my second.

I have a friend who gained 60 lbs with both of her pregnancies and she was able to lose it all fairly quickly. I think as long as eveything looks good, it shouldn't matter!

Mom to two boys, 5 and 3, and pregnant with number 3! EDD 10/8/10
#22 of 37 Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 PM

Yup. I've only gained about 5 pounds at 26 weeks, but my belly is huge. I've been swimming and getting lots of activity in, and started off weighing maybe a little more than I would have liked. And according to the charts and weight trackers, I'm way under range. But I eat lots of veggies, lots of protein, plenty of fat. Baby is active and I feel good, so... its just a number.
#23 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 AM
hyz

I'm 28 weeks and I've gained about 15 lbs so far. That seems like a lot to me since I only gained 20lbs total with my DD by 41 weeks, but I started off 5 lbs lighter this time (5'8", 125lb), so I wouldn't be surprised if my total gain was a bit higher this time, too.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#24 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 AM

Im not sure, but I think I've gained about 20 lbs. I'll be 27 weeks on Tuesday. I gained quite a lot in the first trimester in both pregnancies because eating helped to stave off nausea. I also tend to retain A LOT of water during pregnancy, which adds additional weight. I can feel it in my legs, particularly in a squat. My sister told me earlier this evening that everyone knew I was pregnant right away because my "face was fatter."
#25 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Do I win? I've gained 28 pounds at 29 weeks. My 12-pound gain in one month didn't help.
#26 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM

I've gained 17lbs at 29 weeks - 7lbs of which was in the last month, apparently! It's a pretty reasonable amount overall, I think. I hope to keep my total weight gain under 30lbs, but I'm not going to fall apart if it hits 35lbs. FYI, I started at 130lbs, which is average for my height (5ft6).

Catherine, DH and DS kid.gif Dylan Michael, born 9/23/10 
#27 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 02:06 PM

I'm up about 8 lbs. . . but I was overweight when I got pregnant. I think as long as you eat healthy and eat the right things, you'll be fine and I wouldn't be concerned. Not everyone gains 30 lbs during pregnancy. I did with my first and didn't lose it. . . .

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#28 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM

I started out quite overweight and have gained 10 pounds, at 27 weeks. Weight means nothing to me. However, I really didn't want to gain 60 pounds. My midwife doesn't weigh anyone and has only asked once if I happen to know.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#29 of 37 Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM

I have gained 16 lbs and I am 27 weeks which is very uncommon for me. With both my boys I gained 10 lbs in the first trimester! I had first trimester nausea with both of them but never really get sick. With this pregnancy I have been throwing up the entire time, I still do. So to say it's different is an understatement! I have no idea what weight I'll end up at. I'm not concerned though. The baby is growing and very active and I make what I can eat count.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#30 of 37 Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

So I woke up, read this thread, felt nicely reassured that though my weight gain is on the lowest end, that my baby feels healthy, tons of movement, I feel great and am loving this pregnancy, etc., and so I got up to go weigh myself. I lost 3 lbs since yesterday.

Last night, I had a craving for sugar cookies, so my DH and my DD made a huge batch of them and I admit, I ate 8, last night. How could I lose 3 lbs after eating 8 cookies on top of everything else? I've actually eaten ice cream and/or cake (it was DD's birthday last week) probably every day for the last week, too! In addition, I think I eat a wide variety of food and plenty from the rainbow, don't shy away from things like sour cream and cheese and pasta and well, everything, including meat. Anyway, I still feel like I should be eating more often, so I'm going to focus on that a little, just to make myself feel better.

With my first child, I gained 35 lbs and with my 2nd, I gained 33 lbs, but that came much more slowly than with the first, so much so that I worried then, too (I've also had 2 miscarriages, including one in the 2nd trimester, so perhaps I worry more than most) but even with my 2nd, I had certainly gained more than 5 lbs at 28 1/2 weeks!

Anyway, I'm not overly worried or anything, just a little exasperated. My DH laughed that I lost 3 lbs and says he's going to make me another batch of cookies tonight so he can help fatten me up . LOL! He thinks I and the baby are healthy and that I shouldn't be upset about it, that everything will be fine. I tend to agree <fingers crossed>.

My other two children were both born at 8 lbs 10 1/2 ounces so I don't make tiny babies, either, and I assume/plan that this baby will be similarly sized or bigger. Right?

Off to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page