Anyone else getting the "you must be due any day now!" comments? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously! I have had like 6 strangers say this to me recently! I am very much "all baby" and relatively thin, but I have THREE months left people! It is a good thing I am not sensitive to these things, sheesh!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#2 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Yes! It happens to me every pregnancy (that and people are convinced I'm having twins because I'm "so huge" )
#3 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I got that too- one woman (stranger!) was really inquiring- "like are you 100% sure there isn't two in there?" Ummm yes I have had a few ultrasounds. "Well you know sometimes one can really hide behind the other."

SERIOUSLY!?

Makes me laugh.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#4 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 PM

I've suddenly been getting this a lot from people! It's annoying but I try to ignore it. Sometimes I'm amazed by my growing belly (this is my first) but I'm measuring right on track. I think people just don't know or forget what a full term really looks like. I'm guilty of that too. Last midwife appointment there was a woman there that was due any day and it was an aha moment for me, too.
#5 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Yes

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#6 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM

I'm so annoyed by these comments. I am super healthy/active, love my pregnant body, and wouldn't change anything about this experience, but it just kind of gets under my skin when complete strangers feel like they can take the liberty of commenting on my form. It drives me up the wall. Would they comment on my body otherwise? What is it about pregnancy that makes the female figure open for public discourse?

I'm a professor and a domestic goddess married to my ideal mate. We are living in bliss with our new baby girl, Rowan Graham, born October 8, 2010.
#7 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 PM

I think people honestly don't remember what full term looks like. I get comments too and while my belly is looking very basketballish these days, I really don't look full term.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#8 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think people honestly don't remember what full term looks like.
I think the same thing. Heck, I didn't know what full term really looked like til I started stalking the picture threads in the other DDCs! Yesterday the proprietor of our favorite restaurant asked me if I was due next month and was surprised when I told him October - I'm really not that big either!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#9 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM

so many people at work have said this to me last week. I hate that you go from "oh your barely pregnant" to "you have how long left?!?" Does anyone realize how big a 7lb 20in baby is? Where else would I put it? Of course I'm big that's what happens. The most annoying part is that we just had a woman give birth at 40w 1 day a month ago. Did they all forget how big she was already????? Or is it because she is no longer there they can't compare me to anyone. arrrrrrggggggg. With ds i had a shirt that said due in june. I need one for this baby that says "due in october, measuring right on, yes we are sure it is only one."
#10 of 16 Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM

All the time. I am really sensitive to it this time around. I was diagnosed with celiac disease almost two years ago and lost a lot of leftover baby weight from my first two pregnancies when I went gluten free. I looked and felt great. I've only gained 15 lbs at 29 weeks, which I think it pretty good at this point (I had gained over 55 total with my first), so it's not like I'm completely enormous...it's just that my self esteem is fragile since I lost so much weight and now am gaining it back. I keep telling myself that it's all for a good cause, and that it is good that I can still get my favorite pre pregnancy jeans up, if not buttoned, but I still want to cry when people go on and on about how huge I am.

Mom to two boys, 5 and 3, and pregnant with number 3! EDD 10/8/10
#11 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM

oh mamas i am soo here! i mean jeez how many times would a non pregnant woman wanna be told she is huge/massive/a fatty/a whale etc etc before she started to feel really REALLLLLY rubbish and resentful. i swear i wanted to punch ppl at the school gates, all of whom are mothers obviously so they KNOW what it's like and know what full term looks like yet they feel the need to tell me im fat every single day. argh! i think maybe it's because i was a bit of a gym bunny and had been ill after an ectopic/surgery so i was pretty thin before i fell pg - so when i chubbed up with womanly wobbley bits then got a bump it was weird for them to see me like that rather than a bonebag but sheesh SOMEBODY tell me im gorgeous already lol. my bump is actually measuring 2 weeks behind so i know im not huge, i just have a booty for the first time in years lol

recently though i've started standing buttnakey in all my glory in front of the mirror and just telling myself how adorable i look haha sad i know but it actually helps. screw the meanies who don't *get" the beauty of a womanly expectant mama...my DH loves my body and i think im pretty amazing, growing a whole new human being so STUFF them allll lol

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#12 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM

I sympathize with y'all. This happened to me for the first time last week - I was at the coffee shop and the girl at the register said to me "Ooh, about ready to pop are you?!". "No", I said. "Actually, I'm not due until October". "Oh, wow!" she continued "it looks as if the baby has dropped already!". Naturally, I went straight to work in a mad panic to check myself out in the mirror. Dropped, really?! WTF?! Luckily, the wife of one of my colleague's who just gave birth 10 days ago came into the office later that morning and reassured me that the baby had definitely NOT dropped, and that I looked totally normal. Gah. Stupid coffee shop woman.

Also, my DH is (unbeknownst to him) testing my patience with a size-related comment that he uses whenever he talks with friends/family on the phone. "How's she doing?" they all ask; and his innocent, relentlessly cheerful response is "Oh, she's doing great! Getting bigger every day!" blah blah blah. Bigger every day! For one, that's not physically possible, and for two, even if it was physically possible and was actually happening, it's not something you're supposed to say out loud to everyone who asks. Stupid DH. Bigger every day, my butt

Catherine, DH and DS kid.gif Dylan Michael, born 9/23/10 
#13 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM

P.S - corban's mum, you ARE gorgeous! *mwah*

Catherine, DH and DS kid.gif Dylan Michael, born 9/23/10 
#14 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 AM

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#15 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Yes, I have received a few of those comments. The other day when I said I was due in early October they said "Oh! You poor thing!" Ummm...what does that even mean?

During my last pregnancy I had a hair stylist say "No way! Seven months? You barely have a little pooch!" Bless his heart. I was huge! Why can't everyone take a clue from him and say things like that to every pregnant lady they see?
#16 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM

I really think people need lessons in what to say to pregnant women. With DD1, I really didn't look pregnant until the very, very end (like last 4 weeks or so!), and I wasn't big to begin with -- I'm just tall and carried that way with her. I got the opposite sort of comments -- "are you sure you're due next month?" "Wow, you look so small!" etc etc. Made me soooo nervous that the baby wasn't growing well, even though I was measuring right on track. People should learn never to say anything other than "you look great!" to a pregnant woman :P

This time, I look the same at 25w as I did at, oh, 36 weeks with DD1 I get plenty of the opposite comments now -- "oh wow, you're not due until Halloweenish? You look like you could go any day!" C'mon, people! I just can't win. OTOH, I'm loving actually looking pregnant this time -- I've had some sort of bump since 11w, and it's great to have a real outward indicator of pregnancy :-D

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page