Diaper Love - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My older daughter has been in cloth diapers since birth. Most of the first year of her life we used bumGenius One Size pockets. I loved them so much and the only complaint that I ever had was that I didn't like the aplix (velcro) fasteners and wished they came in snaps....

Well, last week Cotton Babies released the new bumGenius One Size 4.0s which have the option of either aplix or snaps! I ordered one right away even though my two year old is very close to being potty trained and I technically have "enough" newborn diapers. It came in the mail today and while I haven't gotten a chance to put it on Alice yet it looks really, really nice. Aside from the snaps it appears to be of a higher quality allover.

If you're still on the fence about cloth diapers or which ones to buy, I highly recommend checking this diaper out. Our 3.0s have held up for over 2 years. The only "fix" they've needed is new aplix (which the company sends for free), a problem which is totally removed if you purchase them with snaps. These diapers really do fit from 8-35 lb. (or at least they still fit my 27 lb. toddler) and they are easier to use than disposables.

FuzziBunz also make pretty nice diapers, but their one size isn't as convenient to adjust between sizes as the bG and I've experienced some quality issues with their newer diapers (bought since 2009). I have never had a single issue with the PUL or elastic on any of the bG diapers I've purchased and their inserts work great.

And if you're unsure where to buy diapers, I cannot recommend Abbyslane.com strongly enough. I have bought all of my diapers from their website for 3 years now and have had nothing but great experiences. Their customer service is phenomenal. Shipping is both fast and free. Their newsletter is really educational and if you subscribe to it you get a code for 5% off all purchases. Plus they just introduced a new customer rewards program (if you're buying an entire newborn stash it would be super easy to quickly accumulate points). Stephanie, the owner, is very knowledgeable and has answered all of my miscellaneous diaper-related questions.

(And if you do decide to buy diapers from Abbyslane you can say that henryjames@mac.com referred you )

Diapers are seriously one of the best things about having a newborn!

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#2 of 20 Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can totally relate. I love, love, love everything about cloth diapers and won't ever apologize for my addiction! I agree re. snaps and have never been able to get on board with aplix. I have a few aplix covers that I find handy from time to time but not for full time heavy rotation use. I have a huge stash of all sorts of different covers and inserts and pockets and aios, brand name and home made. The ones we use by far the most and love the best are Coolababies from ebay (the OS AIOs). I took a chance and just bought 6 just because the price is so low and low and behold they turned out to be absolutely fantastic. They are very similar to BG and I've heard that FB are made in the same factory. The materials are all identical. I love them so much I bought 32 more so we have 40 total and I only do laundry once every 5-7 days. Love it! My only frustration now is that I have more than plenty diapers for this new little one that I have no excuse to shop!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#3 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 AM

Very nice! I usually just stick with prefolds and simple covers, but I bookmarked the site and tagged it with your email I've still got 3 doz prefolds but I really need some new covers.
#4 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the review - I cloth diapered ds, but he's going on 8 and so much has changed. I used Fuzzi Bunz, fitteds & wool. So much has changed now with all the one size diapers, etc ...

I'm doing Kissaluvs, Prefolds, wool & thirsties covers for the newborn stage with this one, and I've bought a few of the older style Fuzzi Bunz that I know I like. But I've been super intrigued by the new BGs and would LOVE to build a simple stash of just one type of AIO.

Thanks for the info!!!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#5 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM

I know someone who converts the Bum Genius aplix to snaps.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#6 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Very nice! I usually just stick with prefolds and simple covers, but I bookmarked the site and tagged it with your email I've still got 3 doz prefolds but I really need some new covers.
I'm going to give prefolds and covers (during the newborn stage at least) a second try. I was really awkward with them last time, but I was just diaper clueless in general (i.e. I had trouble getting the hospital disposables on her!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I'm doing Kissaluvs, Prefolds, wool & thirsties covers for the newborn stage with this one, and I've bought a few of the older style Fuzzi Bunz that I know I like. But I've been super intrigued by the new BGs and would LOVE to build a simple stash of just one type of AIO.
The older FuzziBunz are great diapers. My friend told me the issue with the new FuzziBunz is that some of them are manufactured overseas now and that's why the quality has gone down. I had the PUL delaminate and peel on 6 of my new ones. The company is being great about replacing them but it's still a bummer.

Both the bG and FB one size diapers are technically pockets just like the old FB. It was my experience that once my daughter got past 2 months the AOIs weren't really absorbent enough for nighttime use. (Or daytime use even by the time she was a toddler.)

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#7 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I know someone who converts the Bum Genius aplix to snaps.
You have no idea how tempting that is (or maybe you do)...

Do you know her in real life or online? How much does she charge? I was going to just suck it up and have someone local replace the aplix (since I have 24 of the kits), but snaps would make me so much happier.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#8 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Rparker - if honeybee's friend can't help you replace aplix with snaps, I know there are several people on diaperswappers that do it.

Interesting to know about the FBs - I hate to hear that because they really were such an awesome system for us back in the day. Even as a toddler (ds didn't potty train until age 3) I could stuff the hell out of one for overnight and it was bulletproof.

I agree with pockets being necessary once they get bigger - ds was a supersoaker and I liked to be able to customize the absorbency.

I've been intrigued by the Thristies AIOs - they have a sewn in soaker but also a pocket to add more absorbency. Have you had any experience with those?

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#9 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker View Post
You have no idea how tempting that is (or maybe you do)...

Do you know her in real life or online? How much does she charge? I was going to just suck it up and have someone local replace the aplix (since I have 24 of the kits), but snaps would make me so much happier.
I know her IRL, but she has a newborn, so I'm not sure if she's doing replacements right now or not. I can check.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#10 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM

My friend is doing conversions now, so if anyone else wants info, let me know and I'll pm her information.

#11 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM

One of our local natural baby shops actually rents out a snap applicator machine thingy. It costs almost nothing and is really easy to use. Maybe other stores do this? Another option too for those who hate aplix.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#12 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM

So...this is my first baby, I plan on cd'ing from birth, and I would love some input on my planned stash---is there anything superfluous, am I missing something vital, how useful/quality/dependable are the diapers/covers I've chosen, etc. I will be ordering my stash in the next couple weeks and I'm so excited! I plan on using mostly prefolds and covers, with a few tiny fitteds for the first weeks since my family tends to have petite babies.

Diapers:
12 GMD preemie prefolds (already have)
24 GMD newborn prefolds (already have)
36 GMD small prefolds
36 GMD medium prefolds
6 GMD newborn prefold-fitted's (they are just prefold diapers cut and shaped into a fitted, with an added doubler sewn in)

Covers:
5 newborn Prorap covers
4 Thirsties Duo Wrap size one covers
4 Thirsties Duo Wrap size two covers
1 wool soaker, 1 pair wool shorties, 1 pair wool longies (already have---a friend and I upcycled a wool sweater someone gifted me!)

Accessories:
Diaper Pins
Snappi's
Wet bag
Imse Vimse Wool Shampoo and Wool Cure
36 cloth wipes (already have)
Charlie's Soap (already have)

Thanks for your input and opinions ladies!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#13 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I've been intrigued by the Thristies AIOs - they have a sewn in soaker but also a pocket to add more absorbency. Have you had any experience with those?
I haven't tried them. One of my diapers might be similar though? I have one size large bG AOI that has a pocket for extra inserts. It's ok, but it doesn't do anything that a regular FB sized diaper doesn't and it's a little bit more of a pain to dry. My daughter might be a heavy wetter though since an AOI alone hasn't been enough to keep her clothes dry since she got past a size small.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#14 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

BirthIsAwesome: I would have 2 large wet bags so that there's one in the pail while laundry is being done and I'd add a couple of small wet bags to use on outings. I'd probably also either add more cloth wipes or have disposables on hand. I've never exclusively used cloth wipes (although they do work so much better!) but it seemed like we went through a TON of wipes in the early days and I'd be afraid of running out. (Baby wash clothes seem to work just as good as anything else though.)

I've never exclusively used prefolds so hopefully someone else will jump in and critique the sizes and amounts you have. I was doing diaper laundry about twice a day with 18-24 diapers in rotation when my daughter was a newborn if that's any help.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#15 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM

BirthIsAwesome - your stash looks great! I think I would just want to have a few more NB size prefolds. They go through them so fast and who wants to do laundry every day? They cost so little that it wouldn't hurt to have 36.

As for cloth wipes, 36 sounds pretty good to me though more would be even better. I'm proud to say that I have never ever bought disposable wipes! I can attest to the fact that some days you'll go through a LOT of wipes. Breastmilk poop is soooo messy and it gets everywhere.

#16 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Meant to add - For those who don't mind man-made fibres, I've found that the BEST cloth wipes are microfiber towels that you can buy in bulk in either the automotive section of a big hardware store or at Cosco. They're usually blue for some reason. They pick everything up (instead of smearing like flannel does) and are sooooo absorbent. They also make great burp cloths if you have a spitter. I've heard people use them, trifolded, as inserts as well because they are so absorbent. You're not supposed to let them sit against baby's skin for long though because they can dry it out.

#17 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
I'm proud to say that I have never ever bought disposable wipes!
You are my hero.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#18 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this because I just got 6 new FuzziBunz diapers in the mail earlier last week...

These were replacements for 6 defective FB diapers I had bought (the PUL delaminated under normal washing conditions). If anyone's curious, FB's customer service was super easy to deal with so even though it sucks that the original diapers were crappy it was astonishingly easy to get them replaced. (One diaper was even out of warranty.)

The new diapers appear to be better quality than the ones that fell apart but only repeated use will tell. These ones are made in China. The defective ones were made in Mexico. (Old FB diapers were made in the US.)

3 of the replacement diapers were one size so I'm saving them for this October baby since my older daughter doesn't really NEED 3 more diapers right now. (She was almost potty trained, now she's regressed, sigh.) I put the OS on the recommended newborn setting and they are still quite a bit larger than the bumGenius XS AOIs and only a tiny bit smaller than the bG one size on the smallest setting. Adjusting the FB is way less convenient than adjusting the bG which means that I'll probably go with bG 4.0s if I ever have a reason to buy more diapers. I also have a few older FB OS diapers (the few that didn't delaminate) and the elastic in them is so brittle (after less than 6 months of use) that it looks like it's impossible to put them on the smallest setting without replacing the elastic which is kind of a pain. (The new ones come with free replacement elastic.)

I'm actually a little bit disappointed with FB right now because I WANT to like them more than I do. Their diapers are always way nicer/softer out of the package and overall they're more aesthetically pleasing... yet they don't handle wear and tear as well as the bG and they aren't as functional.

I'm also really excited to say that I'm mailing out 18 of my old bG OS (and one size large AOI) tomorrow to be converted by Melissa's friend

I can't wait until I have a tiny cooperative baby to put diapers on!

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#19 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
So...this is my first baby, I plan on cd'ing from birth, and I would love some input on my planned stash---is there anything superfluous, am I missing something vital, how useful/quality/dependable are the diapers/covers I've chosen, etc. I will be ordering my stash in the next couple weeks and I'm so excited! I plan on using mostly prefolds and covers, with a few tiny fitteds for the first weeks since my family tends to have petite babies. <snip>
Looks like you'll need some night time diapers once the kid stops pooping at night and you'll want to not have to change a couple of times a night. I used pocket fuzzi bunz for that, or fitted bamboo worked until very recently when she now soaks through them.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#20 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthIsAwesome View Post
So...this is my first baby, I plan on cd'ing from birth, and I would love some input on my planned stash---is there anything superfluous, am I missing something vital, how useful/quality/dependable are the diapers/covers I've chosen, etc. I will be ordering my stash in the next couple weeks and I'm so excited! I plan on using mostly prefolds and covers, with a few tiny fitteds for the first weeks since my family tends to have petite babies.

Diapers:
12 GMD preemie prefolds (already have)
24 GMD newborn prefolds (already have)
36 GMD small prefolds
36 GMD medium prefolds
6 GMD newborn prefold-fitted's (they are just prefold diapers cut and shaped into a fitted, with an added doubler sewn in)

Covers:
5 newborn Prorap covers
4 Thirsties Duo Wrap size one covers
4 Thirsties Duo Wrap size two covers
1 wool soaker, 1 pair wool shorties, 1 pair wool longies (already have---a friend and I upcycled a wool sweater someone gifted me!)

Accessories:
Diaper Pins
Snappi's
Wet bag
Imse Vimse Wool Shampoo and Wool Cure
36 cloth wipes (already have)
Charlie's Soap (already have)

Thanks for your input and opinions ladies!
I've always just used the infant prefolds and then switched to the premium after a few months. I'm not familiar with all those sizes, but I'm not convinced after reading the promo that it makes that much difference in a prefold. Yes, the premium sizes are too big for a newborn... but two sizes do the job well. I mean, I kind of figure the whole point of prefolds is to save money. You can fold them to size. I think getting in on the Beta for the prefitteds would be great. I know a couple people who are trying them. And if you sew, I'm told it's not too hard to make prefolds into your own prefitteds.

If I were going to do it over again, I would get some more natural fibers (hemp or organic cotton) and make sure they're unbleached. Also, you will not need to buy the large prefold sizes before baby is born. I'd wait and see how you like them first, and see what your preference is for washing. Some people just don't like them sitting around and would rather wash every day... so you don't need that many diapers.

Even with 24 premium prefolds, you will be able to do wash every other day with an older baby (which, from a stink factor, is about right anyways). Plus, with some wiggle worms, while prefolds work well, it can be nice to have a few snap fitteds on hand for easier diaper changes... say while out and about on the restroom changing tables!

If you bought fewer prefolds overall, you'd have some extra money for a few fitted diapers. This is especially important if you have a partner, grandma, or sitter who might be reluctant to try a prefold. Also... you will want to consider an overnight option. Infants are awake frequently and changing a prefold is not that big a deal. When babies get older, you do not want them waking up because they need a diaper change! There's no one perfect night-time system for everyone, but I would recommend keeping some room in the budget for finding a great overnight solution for your particular baby after it gets here. You can make prefolds work... but there is a bit of huge bubble-butt syndrome for overnight!

As for covers, I loved the proraps with my oldest... but the next two babies had really chubby thighs, and the elastic bit into them. They also have a more plastic-y feel, and now that I've gotten used to softer PUL, I'm just not really crazy about them, and have trimmed them from my stash. For a PUL diaper, I like the Mother Ease Airflow covers best (although not sold from GMD, so extra shipping.) I haven't tried the Duo Wraps. They may be great. I do have a couple small Litewraps that I've always liked once the umbilical chord falls off. However, I will caution you that older babies like to take off velcro covers and diapers! I've switched to all snap covers in larger sizes... just something to keep in mind.

I have moved to much more interest in natural fibers, though, and have been switching over completely to wool. I'd suggest looking into wool wraps, or you can't go wrong with the Disana wool soakers. I know they are more pricey... but again, you could save by buying fewer prefolds. Or, as you've already experienced, upcycling wool sweaters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page