October Homebirthers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am about to deliver at home for the 5th time. I always get scared because birth is intense, but i am excited because i get to meet a new baby. and i am scared because I too will be getting 2 kids to school, 1 dyslexic to homeschool, and a toddler to tend. Its always a roller coaster after the first.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#32 of 60 Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 AM

#33 of 60 Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 PM

I ordered my birth kit last night and DH and I went this morning and got most of the other stuff we need. now all I need is 2 shower curtains, Gatorade and a stomach smoshy in thing. I can't believe I'm full term on Wednesday!

obstruct livery vehicles

#34 of 60 Old 09-04-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

we blew up the pool last night, i still need to get the hose and the sink attachment. it's wild to look at it sitting there, knowing that sooner than later this baby will be earthside!

i also need to grab some gatorade.

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#35 of 60 Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
i also need to grab some gatorade.
I went and got that after I posted. Talking about it made me crave blue Gatorade. That's the only flavor I'll drink since they stopped making fierce melon.

obstruct livery vehicles

#36 of 60 Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

i love the purple, not the grape but the riptide rush. now i really want one

#37 of 60 Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

we had our home visit yesterday and it went great, the anxiety seems to have somewhat subsided.

pool us blown up and airing out.

still need to get the hose, gatorade, install the carseat and pack a just in case of transfer bag.

soon ladies, very soon

how is everyone else doing?

#38 of 60 Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post

how is everyone else doing?
I had my 36 week appt today and was pretty much assured that this kid would not come in the next week! Woo! I want to make it through football Sunday at least lol. I've been having tons of BH's though so they recommended a bath and glass of wine. I love midwives

obstruct livery vehicles

#39 of 60 Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 PM

I'm only 32+3 weeks and measured today at 36 weeks. Hopefully that was just because of baby's position. Midwife isn't concerned. My BP was up a little. It's usually 120/70 and it was 120/80. I'm supposed to lay down twice a day for 1/2 hour and start acupunture so it doesn't keep creeping up. Oh well. I'm not worried about it. We have to buy our birth kit before our next appt in 3 weeks and get the tub bought or rented, like...now. It's all coming so quickly! And you all are closer than me!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#40 of 60 Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 PM

You should try out some plain coconut water instead of gatorade. I'm totally addicted to the stuff! Actually, stick with gatorade -- it's a LOT cheaper!

So the only things left to buy are a crib (we're going to do sidecarring this time so DS can stay in bed with me and the baby will be safe) and a net scoop thingy if I end up deciding to birth in the pool.

And as of Monday I will be officially on for a homebirth!

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#41 of 60 Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm now 35 weeks. This is creeping up on me fast. I had a good mw appointment yesterday. Baby's head down and in my pelvis. Poor kid responded well to the doppler by trying to run away from it... but didn't have any room to go anywhere. I have a massage and chiro appt scheduled for next week, and I think I'm going to do that every week, to have something to look forward to when I'm "still" pregnant from one week to the next. My Blessingway is scheduled for 37 weeks, 3 days. We start weekly mw appointments next week, when I'll be meeting the mw assistant that will be at my birth (if she makes it in time, that is. I go fast, but my mw at least is only about 10 minutes away).

So, now I just have to do a few small things like get homebirth supplies, get out and wash all the baby clothes/diapers, get ahold of the infant carseat we're going to be using (borrowing from a friend), get the birthpool. You know, minor little inconsequential details like that.

And, oh yeah, I need to get rid of this horrible case of yeast/thrush I have. I have an appt with my homeopath tomorrow morning to find a remedy, and I hope it helps quick, because popping acidophilous, cutting out sugar, and using topicals is NOT WORKING and I am getting to the point where I want to scratch my right nipple right off my breast. Ugh.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#42 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Hi ladies!

I'll be an October homebirther too! I came to the decision rather late in the game (at 32 weeks) but it had always been in the back of my mind. I was just feeling a little timid and somehow thinking, "I can't homebirth, as much as I want to. It just won't work for me." My C-Section really shook me up about having a baby. But another intervention-filled hospital birth sounds way riskier and way less cozy than being home with nice midwives!

I've been following the Hypnobabies program like a lot of you, and find it very helpful at relaxing me and empowering me. It's been a rough ride though. I really hope I'll be able to finish the program before little Piglet arrives! Still have a ways to go.

I've still been seeing my OB and actually haven't told him of my plans yet. My midwives happen to know that he is not HB-friendly. I should let him know since I want to be able to go back if I ever need an OB/GYN, since I do like him. But I really dread telling him! I might chicken out and just call his staff and tell them.

I had my GBS test last week and it was positive
Also I have a yeast infection, so I just feel all icky in my gal-regions. Here's hoping the little Piglet stays put until I get more prepared (in many ways!) I've been having a lot of "pressure waves" lately, whenever I get up or do almost any activity. Ugh.

Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest!

Lovin' up my Solstice son b. 12/07 and my HBAC Autumn daughters b. 10/10 and 9/12!

#43 of 60 Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello there! Congratulations on making this decision to be in control of your birth

I'm going a second time through same OB but only for 'backup'. He is fully aware that I plan to home birth and actually supports it! I wouldn't be going to him if he didn't.

My midwife is 3 hours away and I haven't seen her this pregnancy yet (only phone visits ) But with regular pre-natals through this OB I feel more than covered for 'just in cases'.

I was GBS positive for probably all of my births, two for sure. For one of them my whole pregnancy was stressed with 'swabbing/testing' weekly, taking Amoxacillin, Yogurt/garlic/pro-biotics galore/teas... celebrating one week and freaking out the next with the test results. It was a nightmare that my pregnancy was revolving around having this bacteria. So when the time came I was 'planning' to have the antibiotics at home since the midwives were covered to deliver a GBS positive at home with antibiotics but they were on a post-partum visit and didn't get there in time (didn't use them again....) and I ended up having a beautiful un-assisted birth with no complications GBS or otherwise. The birth after that I didn't even test, just figured I had it but didn't stress on it and had another successfully homebirth w/o antibiotics.
I know it can be more risky for pre-term babies, my first was born at 35 weeks and therefore I opted for antibiotics on a tiny baby but I wouldn't for a full termer. Plus there is a window, I think 4 hours before birth... that the antibiotics will actually be able to do any good anyway.
So I would definitely say that GBS can be one scary bacteria, especially if baby's immune system isn't well established yet. But it seems like more often then not it gets blown up into a huge scary problem when most women carry it off and on throughout their life without even knowing it. It's a normal bacteria that lives down there and if you weigh your odds and read up on it you might find that it's not so scary after all (like I did ).

Take care and keep us posted on your progress! Can't wait to meet these little October angels!

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#44 of 60 Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Is anyone else realizing that homebirth is a lot of work? My house is neater now than it ever has been. I feel like I have to keep the house immaculate and the fridge fully stocked just in case. plus between ordering the birth supplies, packing DD's bag, packing a transfer bag for me (just in case) and figuring out what to do with the dog I'm exhausted.

obstruct livery vehicles

#45 of 60 Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post
Is anyone else realizing that homebirth is a lot of work? My house is neater now than it ever has been. I feel like I have to keep the house immaculate and the fridge fully stocked just in case. plus between ordering the birth supplies, packing DD's bag, packing a transfer bag for me (just in case) and figuring out what to do with the dog I'm exhausted.
Way to go! It is alot of work but it's worth it!!!!!!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
#46 of 60 Old 09-24-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm here!!

Our local birth centre has a pool that they lend out for homebirths, so I;ve booked that and we pick it up in a week. It's a self heating one somehow so that sounds way cool! And that's all I've organised.... I need to speak to my midwife to find out what we need to provide.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#47 of 60 Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 PM

This will be my 2nd baby, 2nd homebirth with the same midwife and doula. I am definitely getting excited but also a little stressed...I've felt very laid-back about preparations the whole pregnancy, and now all of a sudden I'm like, "NOTHING IS READY!!!!" I'm suffering from messy/empty kitchen syndrome in particular--trying to just chill out, take it one day at a time, and if I don't get everything done, there's always take out!

I have ordered the birth kit and cleared out some space under my bed to store everything...though the kit hasn't come yet, and calling to check on it is one of those to-do items I just haven't gotten to yet. I have a decent pile of old towels but could use a few more, and some more mattress pads, too. Baby's co-sleeper is currently full of all DD1's old clothes, which I'm gradually bundling up and selling online. (Expecting a boy, not planning on having another.)

One of the reasons I'm not inclined to do a bunch of planning is that last time I wrote a 15-page-long birth plan including all these great things I planned to go when labor started, like put a chicken in the crockpot, and light candles, and put on music, and set up the birth pool, and so on and so forth...and instead I woke up in the middle of the night, puked, and had my baby 3 hours later in bed, the birth pool half-full of cold water, with wires and tubes everywhere. I don't think I would have noticed music or candles if I'd managed to get to them. I guess I'm assuming I'll go just as fast or even faster, and all I really hope is that my daughter doesn't wake up until the mess is cleaned up!
#48 of 60 Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 AM

There IS a lot of prep work involved for a homebirth! My house is a disaster right now and I am majorly in need of a grocery store run. Those things don't matter as much if you're going to the hospital....

I do have my birth kit and the 10 towels and 10 receiving blankets my Midwife said to have. I will wash them tomorrow (laundry day!!). I also have two plastic shower curtains (one for our bed and one for the floor between the pool and bathroom).

I'm so blessed to have found an Eco birth pool on CL for a TOTAL steal. It's brand new, never used and was under $100. It would have been more than that to rent a tub from my MW! I plan on using it for the rest of my babies and then "paying it forward" and giving it away. Then whoever gets it will only have to buy a new liner.

I still need to clear off space on my dresser for all the supplies and I need to wash some baby clothes. I don't know my baby's gender though so I'm not too concerned about getting that all set up until I know what it is.

How many of you have a hospital bag packed or are going to pack one? I'm not sure if I want to do that or not....

I'm so excited!! We're getting so close now!!

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#49 of 60 Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 AM

I'm in here so late, but I'm also having a homebirth. This will be my second one. I agree, it is hard work trying to keep the refrigerator stocked and the house clean all the time like you're trying to sell it, but really it is so worth it in the end to have a clean house and a lot of food to eat.

I actually need to have DH make a run for the store so I can get my casseroles together. I don't even have my casseroles ready!!! Thankfully I have my birth kit, all the wash cloths (though I do need to finish the laundry), and my friend let me borrow her La Bassine birth tub. It's really nice. All I had to do was buy the liner for it. My midwife charges $250 to rent an Aquadoula. Another nice tub, but too rich for us right now. So now I'm just simply waiting for the party to start. I just turned 37 weeks today so technically it's any day now. All the best of luck to all of us that we have wonderful births.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#50 of 60 Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 PM

I just wanted to say a VERY big thank you to all the October homebirthing mamas! I decided at 33 weeks to do a home birth, mostly from reading stories on this site, and with encouragement from my midwife. I had my little one last night in a home/water birth. It was so relaxing not to have to rush off to the hospital and to just let my body do what it needed! Everything went so smoothly, I just feel so empowered that I was able to do it (although it was REALLY tough at the time!) Regardless, thanks again to all of you supportive mamas for being there!
#51 of 60 Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaler_19 View Post
I just wanted to say a VERY big thank you to all the October homebirthing mamas! I decided at 33 weeks to do a home birth, mostly from reading stories on this site, and with encouragement from my midwife. I had my little one last night in a home/water birth. It was so relaxing not to have to rush off to the hospital and to just let my body do what it needed! Everything went so smoothly, I just feel so empowered that I was able to do it (although it was REALLY tough at the time!) Regardless, thanks again to all of you supportive mamas for being there!
Congrats mama!

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#52 of 60 Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM

I have all my supplies ready and my house is ten minutes away from being spotless at all times...which is a first for me! Although I do admit that the crib is currently being used to hold clean baby stuff until I put it in the proper place, but since were using a co-sleeper I'm not too bothered by it!
Actually the only supply I don't have is a debris net and that is actually sort of funny..see I was looking online at a home birth supply place and read that the debris net was an "18 inch debris net" so I go all over the place and the biggest fish net I can find is an 8" one. Of course I don't buy it because it's ten inches too small. So today I go back to the same site and read a bit closer...the net part is only 6inches and the handle is 12inches...doh!

So tomorrow I'm back to the store where I saw the 8inch net and grabbing that.

Oh and I have no food in the house. I live a 4 minute walk to a 24 hour grocery store so depending on the time of day I start labour I might go or (more likely) send DH to go.
#53 of 60 Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 AM

Pineapple Head "Although I do admit that the crib is currently being used to hold clean baby stuff until I put it in the proper place, but since were using a co-sleeper I'm not too bothered by it!"

Isn't that what cribs are supposed to be used for? Storing stuff?
It's just so hard to take your hands off these little angels let alone lay them down

thaler_19 Congrats mama! You totally took control of your birth and made it a joyful memory instead of being treated like an invalid.
Way to go

I love seeing all these posts for home birth plans. It's such an amazing experience and so wonderful to have as a memory later. No forced decisions you regret later, no nasty nurses/doctors to make you feel stupid. Just plain right if you ask me

Here's to all the homebirthers past and future!

"We know lots about birthin' babies!!"

#54 of 60 Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post
My house was a disaster when ds3 was born because I just wasn't expecting him that soon, and you know... it all worked out, and nobody really cared. So, if you need to rest, just go ahead and let a few dishes pile up in the sink. It'll be okay. Really.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#55 of 60 Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Congrats on your amazing homebirth, thaler_19!

I finally got around to ordering my birth supplies Thursday night. They'll be here early this coming week. Just in time, as I'll hit 38 weeks on Wednesday. I don't have any other supplies ready, yet. I did get all the clothes and diapers out to wash... but then we actually had a call for a showing, so I stuffed them back in the totes and put them away so I could quickly get the house cleared out. And we'll probably have a second showing for the same couple this week... so I'm not getting them out until afterwards.

I'm really hoping for a couple more weeks of time before baby arrives.

#56 of 60 Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaler_19 View Post
Awesome!!! Congrats on your successful homebirth. It is really nice to not have to leave your house for anything. The after birth snuggle fest is the best! Enjoy your babymoon!

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#57 of 60 Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Congrats, thaler!!!!

DW just said to me this weekend, "Doesn't it feel like there is SO much extra work that we have to put into having a home birth than just going to the hospital?" It made me think of this thread.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#58 of 60 Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

I just had my home visit (36 weeks). My MW's were impressed with my preparedness. I have the towels and extra sheets out, the bassinet with all the baby stuff in it (diapers, clothes, receiving blankets) next to the bed, the birth kit and I even cleared a special space for the MW's supplies.

I didn't do anything at all until this last weekend and I was freaking out. We still had excess furniture in the bedroom and you couldn't even get to the bed. DH and I got down to business and got it all done in 2 days. Now I'm kind of freaking out because I'm ready and... what's next?

We have a system for keeping the house clean and the fridge stocked. I'm more worried about keeping my head in the game at this point.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#59 of 60 Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM

I've finally got everything done and my house is about 15 minutes from being clean at any given moment. Well, except the basement, but it's just to rough to keep all DD's toys, movies and everyone's laundry away all the time. I still feel freaked out when there's more than 3 dishes in the sink though. DH thinks I'm being neurotic. The poor guy is looking forward to having a home birth, but I know part of him will be glad when I chill on the cleaning and urge to have the pantry and fridge completely fully overstocked lol.

obstruct livery vehicles

#60 of 60 Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Getting so close I feel like I am finally ready too! Especially when this week is over I will be officially on Mat. Leave from work and will have so much more time to keep the house clean and spend some much needed time with DS!

Birth Supplies - check
Birth Tub - Check
Room Ready - Check
Diapers and Clothes Ready - Check
Baby - .......

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page