Baby Positions - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have pretty much banned my husband from speaking to the baby unless his mouth is near my pubic bone, lol. The idea being that baby (who does seem quite responsive to his voice) will get more firmly head-down to listen to him. I'll try anything.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#32 of 58 Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
I have pretty much banned my husband from speaking to the baby unless his mouth is near my pubic bone, lol. The idea being that baby (who does seem quite responsive to his voice) will get more firmly head-down to listen to him. I'll try anything.
I got DH to do this a couple of times.....but I think he feels silly or doesn't know what to say...hmm

What kind of things does yours say?

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#33 of 58 Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

A lot of the typical "I love you, baby. I can't wait to meet you out here" stuff. Sometimes he talks to it about turning, specifically. "You need to bring your head down here, baby. When you do, you can be born! It's the safest way. If you stay the way you are you will still have to come out, but it will be harder for you and Mommy. There will have to be a lot of strangers around (hospital staff). So bring your head down here, baby..."

Sometimes he reads him/her Grimm's fairy tales, too.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#34 of 58 Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
hyz

Well, I don't know if this will be heartening or discouraging, but my little guy finally turned head down on Monday (I am 32wks 5days today)! We got ultrasound confirmation on Tuesday. His head is not down in my pelvis yet--it is floating up around my right hip bone--but his back is on my right side, his bum is by my ribs, and he is facing mostly backwards (which makes him ROA/Right Occiput Anterior, not a bad place to be).

I had been doing inversions multiple times a day for almost 3 weeks. I'd try to spend 5-10 minutes several times a day in the down dog position, and I also did the deeper inversions off the couch (kneeling on the edge of the couch then resting my elbows on the floor), and inversions on my back by putting my bum on the couch and head/shoulders on the floor, with a ramp of pillows/blankets underneath me to support my back. Sometimes while doing inversions, I put a cold pack by my fundus (trying to put it behind the baby's head, not by his forehead) and a heat pack by my pelvis. I can't say that any of these things helped on their own to flip him, but it DID seem to keep him active and rolling around a lot in there, and I think that's what ultimately helped him to flip. When he did flip, I think it was slow--during the course of the day he rolled from breach to transverse to head down--not all at once. I think he had been transverse multiple times in the weeks before that, but always popped head up again instead of completing the flip. For the past two days that he's been head down, he seems to have settled in and there's a lot less bopping around in there (still some regular kicks and such, no worries, but not the frequent big lumpy movements I was feeling before). I'm just hoping he settles in nice and tight down there and doesn't get any ideas in his head about rolling back up!

Good luck mamas! I'm still sending head down vibes your way!!

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#35 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 AM

I'm worried about it. My widwife always says she can't tell but I think the baby is sideways because the kicks are always in my side!
#36 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 AM

Well after my breech scare, posterior presentation should be the least of my worries, but still *worries*

kicks are to the right of the central line of my belly from halfway up, baby is LOP (head down back to the back left side) and being real stubborn, i spend all night "resting smart" never on my back, all day i crawl and crawl and do down dog and cat stretches, i crawl backwards downstairs two steps at a time and sidewalk upstairs, even as i type this im sat on a birth ball back straight belly hanging forwards pelvis tilted forwards and legs spread to widen hips, yet still LOP she stays. previously she was rotation to LOT and LOA but for nearly a week she's been LOP and trying to drop, MAJOR MAJOR braxton hicks constantly, so hard that i shake sometimes. DS was posterior and ended up in a cs. so it's the one thing that bugs me - im not afraid of birthing at all, im afraid of NOT birthing lol can't really think of anything else i can do to rotate her grrrr Im pretty much 35 weeks now *sigh*

may be i should just give up and lay on my back haha if she's like her papa (stubborn and responds best to reverse psychology LOL) it'll work...

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#37 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM

My baby is head down but honestly, I have no idea what the position is because I am feeling hiccups, hands and feet all at the same time in the same place!! (lower left)

On another note, does anyone know if it's counterproductive to do all the positions recommended to get the baby to move head down if it already is head down? (I want to do them for insurance! haha)

edd 101010 at home
#38 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 AM

I am 35 weeks today and as of my appt. yesterday my baby is still transverse. I have an sono next week to check exact position and start to talk about a version if necessary. The thing that worries me is that this baby has been in this position for so long.

On a positive note we we might get to see what we are having. We wanted to know but this baby was stubborn and we couldn't get a shot between the legs at all.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#39 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was just sure baby was shifted into position as of Wednesday night. Now I'm pretty sure it isn't. I guess I would feel better if I knew for certain that it HAD gotten straight on Wednesday, but instead I wonder if I just have really crappy palpation skills.

I so want(ed) for baby to be right for my appointment this afternoon! I guess I'm off to do some inversions!

#40 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great news, hyz! My guy is head down, but I'm pretty sure he's in some kind of posterior position- I can feel his butt and back on my right side :/
#41 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Great news, hyz! My guy is head down, but I'm pretty sure he's in some kind of posterior position- I can feel his butt and back on my right side :/

oh YAY!! Congrats Do those squats!

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#42 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
oh YAY!! Congrats Do those squats!
I try, I promise! By my left knee is shot (basically I have no cartilage left, fun times) and getting up and down is so hard for me!
#43 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingtruth View Post

On another note, does anyone know if it's counterproductive to do all the positions recommended to get the baby to move head down if it already is head down? (I want to do them for insurance! haha)

edd 101010 at home
According to my midwife, yes, you should not do it for insurance purposes. Mine is vertex now and has been for a long time so she said not to do anything with my head below my pelvis, so no downward dog or headstands in the pool. Not that I'm doing those anyway, though. Not sure if this helps, it's just what my midwife says.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#44 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
hyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Thanks, CherryBomb!

And, you've had more kids than I have, so you probably know this and I'm just misunderstanding you, but--
"posterior" refers to which way the occiput is facing, which is the top/back of the head. If the back of his head is facing the back of your body (your posterior, lol), then he's OP. But if you can feel his bum/back, then he's probably facing sideways or backwards or somewhere in between--which means his occiput is probably more towards your front, which is good! That's how my little guy is. I can feel his bum up under my right ribs sometimes, and his back along my right side. We tried to get a look at his face during the ultrasound, but we couldn't, because it was facing backwards, so all we could really see was the back of his head. I was disappointed not to get a sneak preview of his little mug, but glad at least that he wasn't posterior! Anywho, I hope your little guy is in the right position!!

#45 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 PM
hyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
According to my midwife, yes, you should not do it for insurance purposes. Mine is vertex now and has been for a long time so she said not to do anything with my head below my pelvis, so no downward dog or headstands in the pool. Not that I'm doing those anyway, though. Not sure if this helps, it's just what my midwife says.
Seekingtruth, my understanding is the same as this from my internet readings. Part of the idea behind inversions is to dislodge the baby from where it is (possibly with its bum wedged down by your pelvis) and get it moving/rolling around so that it will hopefully land head down at some point. But if it's already head down, you don't want to be trying to dislodge it from there!

dearmama22, I don't think the kicks being in your side mean that the baby is transverse. From my experience and what I read, transverse babies make you feel/look really wide from side to side. When my baby's head was up, I could put my hand on my belly and feel his little round head bobbing around by my ribs. When he was transverse, I could put one hand on either side of my belly and feel something big and hard under each hand--a head on one side and a bum on the other--and if I pressed my hands gently towards each other then, he'd start wiggling or kicking (probably protesting me trying to squish him, lol). Now that his head is down, with his back towards my right side, I feel lots of kicks on my left side and at the top of my belly too, sometimes. Hope that helps!!

corban's mum, good luck getting baby to roll forward. For some reason it seems to me like that should be an easier maneuver for baby than a breech to vertex roll, so I'm very hopeful for you, but I can understand why you're nervous!!

Aimsley, good luck at your appointment!!

APBTlover, any update from today? Hope you're right and baby's flipped already!

#46 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM

I think baby has moved lower and the head is down in my pelvis. And I think the baby is mostly LOA/LOT though it's so hard to tell. This baby seems to have super long legs and enjoys stretching them so I have one lump sticking out my left side and one lump sticking out my right side. I think the lump on the right side is the feet but not sure.

I'm really looking forward to my appointment on Monday when I can get my MWs' opinion.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#47 of 58 Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM

No, you're right hyz I don't think he's actually OP, but bellymapping has four "posterior" positions, and going through their info, he feels like he's either ROT or ROA, but i have a hard time telling for sure! When I get with my doula next I'm going to see if she can help me get a better handle on exactly how he's positioned!
#48 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so, good news tonight -- our baby is head-down and partially engaged! Yay! I was sure it had turned again since I no longer felt it's butt in my ribs, but apparently that's just because he/she was nuzzling in. Go baby!

#49 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 01:58 AM
hyz

ABPTlover, congrats!! Such a relief, isn't it? I went to the OB on Thursday, and had a similar story to yours--at the US on Tuesday, his head was up by my hip bone and I had a bum in my ribs, but by Thursday my OB could feel his head down more engaged in my pelvis, and my ribs are much more comfortable.

CherryBomb, I guess I was right on both counts--you DO know more about this than I do!! I hadn't heard of all those 4 different "posterior positions". Are you saying ROA and ROT are considered posterior? I had no idea. I know LOA is supposed to be best (although my DD *was* LOA and I still had a loooong labor and almost 4 hours pushing with her, so...), but I thought ROA was nearly just as good.

#50 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Mine (33 weeks) has been vertex for a month or so and I have been feeling very happy about it-- then last night, had about a half hour of the craziest movement ever (never had such feelings in the previous pregnancy) and now is clearly not vertex but I have no idea what the position is. But there is no longer a butt near my ribs anymore. In fact, I can't feel a butt anywhere. I can't wait for my midwife appt this week to find out.
#51 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyz View Post

CherryBomb, I guess I was right on both counts--you DO know more about this than I do!! I hadn't heard of all those 4 different "posterior positions". Are you saying ROA and ROT are considered posterior? I had no idea. I know LOA is supposed to be best (although my DD *was* LOA and I still had a loooong labor and almost 4 hours pushing with her, so...), but I thought ROA was nearly just as good.
Well, don't be too impressed with me, I only remembered because I was literally just belly mapping the other night If you check the bellymapping page at spinningbabies, they count 3 anterior starting positions (LOT, LOA, OA) and 4 posterior starting positions (OP, ROP, ROT, and LOP).

Although he must have moved some in the last couple days, because all this morning (and I mean morning- 4am!) he was beating the crap out of my right side
#52 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Congrats APBT!!

I guess yesterday was a lucky day! My midwife was able to turn my baby head down! I was so shocked after 2 minutes of trying she said....ok! sit up...your baby is head down!! And this morning.....still is!! Waaahooo!

I have been so happy bouncing on my ball!!

#53 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM

Yay for head down babies!

AFM, baby has been head down for quite some time and at my 32 week appointment, I was told the baby's head was low, and at the 34 week appointment I was told the baby's head was surprisingly low for 34 weeks. Where my midwife would have expected the head, she found shoulders. I hope that means she's there to stay. And it explains the pressure I've been having.

As for positioning. I'm pretty sure baby is LOA, which is good according to spinning babies. She's been like that for at least 6 weeks, so I'm hoping she stays there for the next 4 weeks or so. I'm starting to obsess about it!
#54 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
hyz

Argh. Ok, so the baby has been feeling weird in there all day (no hard kicks, lots of weird big lumpy movements, pressure in my pelvis, behind my hip bones, side to side), and a few hours ago I almost certainly felt that familiar little head AGAIN up by my ribs!! Now I can't feel the head anymore, and I can't tell WHAT he's doing because every time I start palpating my belly to really feel for him, it triggers BH ctx and the whole thing goes hard!! He was supposed to STAY vertex once he flipped! This baby is clearly just trying to drive me crazy!!

#55 of 58 Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 AM

Mine has been head down, and I think LOA since more or less 26 weeks....until the past couple of days, when she turned, then flipped, then flipped again, and is currently maybe vertex again? I am not impressed with this uncooperative behaviour, we're going to be 35 weeks tomorrow.

But, there's oodles of time for her to flip back around, I'm just realizing that it was much more comfortable the way she's been up 'til now. I would like her to go back now, please.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#56 of 58 Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Okay, I've decided my baby must be an octopus. I feel him all over the place and i just can't get a good handle on what position he's in!
#57 of 58 Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM

I've got really low heart tones (left side w/fetuscope) and back along my middle, butt under my right rib. I get major kicks on my right side. I keep thinking baby is not quite engaged though, feels a little off center sometimes but maybe that's just shoulders??.. After 3 BOYS head down vag deliveries I'm hoping this one will behave as well. My first (dd) was a 35 weeker due to PROM and she came out butt first so I'm just trying to tell myself there's no way that's ever happening again
Vibes to everyone for head down babies, even if it means we'll be peeing ourselves more

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#58 of 58 Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Baby was posterior and breech until a week ago, when finally he/she flipped and turned! I had a midwife visit today and they said baby is definitely head down and anterior. He/she flips from LOA to ROA several times a day, but still has not gone back to posterior I am 33 weeks tomorrow. Head down vibes for all you ladies whose babies haven't turned yet!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page