Baby Positions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that for most of us it's a little early to get too worked up (or at least that's what I keep telling myself), but is anyone else getting a little concerned about their little one's position? I'm 32 1/2 weeks now, and mine is... well, still wiggly, but typically transverse or oblique (shoulder first). I had been suspicious of this for several weeks, and then my midwives confirmed it at my latest prenatal, last Thursday. Fabulous. They were completely unconcerned, and I'm trying to be, but, really, baby, could you maybe get a move on?

Anyone else with a persistently breech/transverse/oblique babe? Are you concerned?

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
really, baby, could you maybe get a move on?

Anyone else with a persistently breech/transverse/oblique babe? Are you concerned?

Yeah....I am 31 weeks and my kiddo is breech right now and I am so trying not to be concerned about it! The head was totally down and in PERFECT position at 26 weeks....so I am sure that it will move downward eventually.....our mantra right now is TURN BABY TURN...TURN BABY TURN

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it is hopeful that I'm pretty sure this one CAN get vertex (no cord issues or the like). On Friday I am certain it was in a full vertical position -- complete with giving me heartburn and everything else. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was vertex.

Come on, little ones!

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM

I'm 31 weeks and I think mine was head down once for like a week, but mostly it likes to hang out obliquely. I have to say I don't mind right now because the week it was head down I think it was practically engaged and it was so uncomfortable for me. Constant headbutts to the cervix and feet in the ribs! I could hardly walk! I guess it has to get down there sooner or later though.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm about 32.5 weeks, too, and my midwife won't even TELL me what position Cadence is in until 36 weeks at the earliest. She's such a brat. I mean, not really. It's for the best, because I'd only worry. But I wish she'd tell me! But not really, I guess?

Ugh. I am WAY too type A. No wonder she won't tell me. Lol.

Anyway, this babe is still moving all over the place. She's stretched out transverse most of the time, and other times she's diagonal. I'm not good enough to tell whether she's head up or head down when she flips vertex though. I'm (obviously!) hoping for the latter!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Lyndzies, I like your midwife! I don't think mine would have even mentioned it but I prefer not to use the Doppler when possible and they were conversing about baby's position between themselves in order to find the heartbeat with the fetascope. I said, "greeeat." To which my midwife said, "You're what, 32 weeks? Yeah. Not even a problem."

But I guess knowing that they know and are not concerned is better than suspecting it and wondering what they might think.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM

I kinda wish mine had not said anything but I had by suspicions because I am getting majorly kicked in the bladder and that big ol' head makes my upper ab muscles so sore to the touch.....

Good thing my midwife is good at flipping babies (or at least thats what she tells me!)
at my next appt. she is going to have me inverted on a board for 20 minutes while we talk I keep trying to picture this in my head!

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
Old 08-11-2010, 08:10 PM

With DS, I could tell exactly what position he was in by about 30 weeks so it didn't even matter whether they told me - I always told the u/s technician and then she confirmed (I had lots of u/s).

He was head-downish but diagonal (is that oblique?) until just before 34 weeks.

All in one motion, then, he turned completely head down and engaged (0 station)! I lost my mucus plug the next day, too!

In hindsight, this totally fits DS's personality - he does everything at once. He gets sick, has a growth spurt, has some developmental spurt, and gets a bajillion teeth. lol

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Oh - and this one has been head down for at least 2 weeks, with body curled to my left (I think facing my right hip).

Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 AM

My little one mostly has his head at my right hip, but when he gets his head down on my cervix I sure do feel it!

I'm not worried. DD was in a similar position right up until 36 weeks or so

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 AM

oh my, i'm TOTALLY freaked about it.

the best position she's been in the entire pregnancy was still posterior-but engaged.

currently i have a sneaky suspicion that she has her butt in my pelvis, her head to one side and her feet up poking out the opposite side, so kinda using my pelvic floor as a hammock iykwim? when she stretches i get a head out the squashy bit on my left side and feet out the squashy bit on my right side.... and she is LONG *sigh*

i was woken up at 3am to my DH stroking my belly and saying "turn downwards baby, put ur head in the babystation sweetie make it easy for mummy"....which in hindsight is REALLLLLLLY cute and lovely... but at the time i just grumpily huffed that he'd woken me up and scooted to the other side of the bed....

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
hyz

Well, I was feeling rather self-satisfied and unconcerned, b/c DD was always in the perfect position every time the OB checked her, and this baby was perfect at 26 weeks, too. When the OB told me that he was in a good position last time, I asked her if that really meant anything, because there was still so much time left for him to turn. But she said no, once they get like this, they usually stay there, because it's more comfortable for them to have their bum up top where there's more room.

Well. I had another OB appointment this morning (I'll be 31 weeks tomorrow), and she informs me that his head is now up in my left ribs, his bum down by my cervix, and his feet up by my right ribs. Oh, and that explains the burning pain I've had in my left ribs for the past couple days, too--it's his hard little head wedged under there. Urgh. So now I'm worried, too. Of course, THIS time my OB said not to worry, and that there was still plenty of room in there for him to move, and plenty of time for him to turn around, but that's not exactly what she said LAST time!! Sigh.

I am comforted by the fact that he's moving around a lot, though. During the exam, while she was poking and prodding and checking his heartbeat, his head moved from my left ribs to over by my right side, but now it's moved back again. The OB advised me to spend some time on my knees with my bum in the air and head down, but otherwise said not to worry.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 PM

My DS was transverse until about 37 weeks. He shifted his head down a few days after and was born at 38w6d. I think you'll be okay. Just keep telling the baby "head down, little one, head down".
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM

This babe is still quite mobile. Babe is always head downish but moves from side to side and to oblique from time to time. I'm really not worried. Babe has a lot of growing and when things get tighter I'm sure will pick a position. I'm generally watching my posture, doing yoga (down dog feels soooo good), walking, and swimming when I can.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 AM

Mine is mainly vertex, but likes to be transverse sometimes...I can mainly tell because of hiccups...LOL

Meredith

Head down babies!!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Just had my 32 week appt. yesterday. My MW didn't tell me the position, but she asked me to make sure I am doing 5 minutes of pelvic tilts 3 times a day to "move" the baby. Yeah, I am a little freaked about that.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 PM

There is an adjustment that Chiropractors can do to turn the baby. If your really concerned you should talk to them about it. Chiropractic in pregnancy is a WONDERFUL thing.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 PM

DDCC -

FWIW... my little girl was still stubbornly transverse (as she had been for about 6 weeks at that point!) at 33 weeks but by 34 went head down and has been so since.

You do still have some time!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Mine is still oblique with the head low and feet up high as far as I can tell but I'm not worried because she has plenty of time to move and the worst case scenario is just a c-section, which doesn't bother me at all since I'm not at all afraid of surgery. Whatever happens, happens.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post
Mine is still oblique with the head low and feet up high as far as I can tell but I'm not worried because she has plenty of time to move and the worst case scenario is just a c-section, which doesn't bother me at all since I'm not at all afraid of surgery. Whatever happens, happens.
I really and truly wish that a c-section didn't scare the crap out of me!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post
Not to go totally off topic here - but I think what scares most people (or at least me!) about a c-section is NOT the actual surgery (although the healing is a little rough) but the loss of the birth experience, the fact that usually you don't get to hold and feed your baby right away, c-section babies can have more problems breathing, feeding, etc ... the list goes on and on and less to do with surgery than it does all the other complications and issues that come from having the surgery, for me and my baby. And I speak from experience - I've had a c-section. The surgery is the least of my worries.

But back on topic - I'm not worried about position yet. But I also think it's never too soon to start doing things to encourage baby to turn. One of my favorites is sitting watching tv in a squatting position, it feels great to the lower back and helps put baby in a good position. Our little guy is head down but he does still flip from side to side.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 PM

I am 33 weeks and my baby is transverse. My midwife said not to worry yet, but of course I look things up on-line and than worry. I have an anterior placenta and from what I have read that may mean a version is not possible. According to the spinning babies site transverse babies can have a harder time turning. Hopefully, I will go to my next appt. and baby will be in the right position.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
Not to go totally off topic here - but I think what scares most people (or at least me!) about a c-section is NOT the actual surgery (although the healing is a little rough) but the loss of the birth experience, the fact that usually you don't get to hold and feed your baby right away, c-section babies can have more problems breathing, feeding, etc ... the list goes on and on and less to do with surgery than it does all the other complications and issues that come from having the surgery, for me and my baby. And I speak from experience - I've had a c-section. The surgery is the least of my worries.
I don't really like the idea of having major surgery while I'm awake.

But my biggest fears are, I guess, what you're getting at. I tend to have the most random side effects from everything. My immune system is also a bit funky. So I would totally be the person to have an allergic reaction to, like, the dressing on my incision. And then get an infection. And have something happen that my doctor hasn't ever seen that is no big deal in the end but sure is stressful and painful/uncomfortable in the process.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:06 PM

I am 32 weeks and have been poking my belly all week trying to figure out how this baby is positioned...with no luck. I'm not feeling any sharp kicks in my ribs or my pelvis, but more in the middle area of my belly. I'm gonna keep feeling around though and hopefully I'll get it one of these days.

caffix.gif

Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM

You would think since this is my 5th baby that I would be a pro at figuring out where baby is positioned, but I haven't got a clue. I feel all my movements down at the bottom of my belly. Every once in a while I'll feel a cool turning movement on my right side of belly. But trying to pinpoint if baby is head up or down.... not a clue. But I'm not worried. All my babies were head down. So I'm kinda assuming this one will be too. I'm just trying not to lean back in my chairs, put pillows behind my back to keep me upright... things like that. I don't sleep on my back anyway, can't breath. I sleep either on my side or more on my belly as about on my belly as you can get with it being so big. Lol.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

My child has turned into a bowling ball. It's curled up so tight I can't even tell where the "ends" are, much less which one is down. Good grief.

Turn, baby, turn!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 AM

I love MDC. Just reading everyone elses' posts has encouraged me. My mw said at my last visit (32 wks) that baby seemed transverse....which didn't freak me out until I went on the spinning babies website and it made me feel like I have to be perfectly in alignment for this baby to get head down. I have some minor scoliosis so that will NEVER happen in my body. But I keep focusing on visualizing this baby head down, and never had a problem with my other 2, so am hoping for the best.

True confession: I think I am scared of the c-section, but I am MOST scared of the loss of the home birth experience as this is our last kid but our first attempt at a home birth. AND we are paying a significant amount of money out of pocket for the midwife, and I'll feel such a loss financially if we have to do a c-section (which will be "free" through our health insurance at the hospital....of course they'll pay for a c-section, but NOT a homebirth!!!). It will seem like money down the drain when I could have used that money to save and have a bit longer maternity leave had I known the home birth couldn't happen. But what can we do but hope for the best?!

Encouraging though- that everyone's midwives seem to say "don't worry right now!" Let's just keep visualizing these little ones with their heads in our pelvises!

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePie View Post
I don't really like the idea of having major surgery while I'm awake.

But my biggest fears are, I guess, what you're getting at. I tend to have the most random side effects from everything. My immune system is also a bit funky. So I would totally be the person to have an allergic reaction to, like, the dressing on my incision. And then get an infection. And have something happen that my doctor hasn't ever seen that is no big deal in the end but sure is stressful and painful/uncomfortable in the process.
Yep, me too. I actually had a very bad reaction to my epidural where my bp dropped scary low, they had to give me some sort of stimulant in my iv to raise it back up, and even then it was so low I was 1/2 asleep until they took the thing out. Then I had the complication of overreacting to the pit they give you after the section to help the uterus contract ... there are just so many what-if's and things that can go downhill when you start the intervention process. I'm telling you, the actual c-section part wasn't bad - but all the problems, not getting to hold my baby right away, etc, now the thought of that happening again scares me. And motivates me to do my hypnobabies and do everything in my power for a natural birth experience!!!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

So... I'm 34wks 3 days, and I think this baby is still oblique (and sometimes transverse maybe? Maybe not. I sometimes think so but then I find something deep in the uterus up in my ribs). I have an appt Friday so they will probably have a better idea. I'm trying not to get too worked up, as from what I can gather oblique babies usually turn into one of the other positions in time for labor (right?). But still.

How about you mamas?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM

33 weeks here but baby is still very much breech, the head is right at the middle top of my belly! My midwife taught me how to check the postition, and now I obsessively check

I am doing down dog as much as possible, resting on all 4's, handstands in the pool, getting massages, trying to relax and be ready for this baby. Any other suggestions??

Its was so cute last night I was putting DS to bed (he's 3.5) he was just about asleep and then sat straight up, lifted my shirt, gave the baby a kiss and whispered "flip baby flip"

**heart melt**

User Tag List