Mothering Forum banner

Bed rest worries

589 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  APBTlover 
#1 ·
So my bp has been running high in the past week. I normally have white coat syndrome so it does run high then they retake it again and its good. My midwife mentioned to me that if it keeps like this we might have to do bedrest. I had a crazy past week (horrible houseguests, a party that I threw, ridiculously busy) and I'm hoping that is the reason for the bp issues. Would appreciate all the positive healthy prayers/vibes for this to get under control. I'm taking it upon myself to do a self imposed semi bedrest for the rest of this week; staying home, doing hypnobabies, relaxing. Really hoping that this scare is just my body demanding me to slow down.

#4 ·
take it slow Mama...and good job on putting yourself on rest. Were all in the final stretch and deserve some down time anyway..lol...but bedrest....SUCKS..so avoiding it at all cost is a reallllllyy great idea.
Do you have a Bp machine at home? It might be a good idea to get one if you dont and if you already do. Start taking it through the day. I take mine in the morning, lunch and before bed and record it. Then when I go in to my appointments, I show the doc what its been doing through the month/week because I too have some kind of doc problem. My BP goes up at the sight of anything medical, so the doc seeing that its ok when I am at home, helps him to feel better I think too. Also this gives you some idea what your BP is doing anyway KWIM?
Good luck Mama and keep us posted.

#5 ·
I have blood pressure issues - both pregnancies especially, and chronically.

If you have white coat syndrome, I would definitely get a home cuff. Omron makes really good automatic cuffs. You can have it verified with your midwife - and then see if you are getting lower readings at home.

I did 9 weeks of side-lying bedrest with DS. It was horrible. I can't put it any other way. But I was able to make it until I went into labor on my own and I had a healthy baby boy, who is now a perfect 2.5-year-old. If bedrest is what it takes - it is worth it, and you'll have a handful of us here to commiserate with.

This time, I think mainly because I have a toddler and am usually a mostly stay-at-home mom, my doctors opted to put me on medication. I'm able to be up and about a little, but I still can't go to the park with DS or go for walks (I am a runner when not pregnant, was keeping up with walking until bedrest a couple weeks ago).

Anyway, I spent about a week on my side waiting for the medication to take effect and get the dose right. It was even more horrible than last time because I have a child I couldn't even be left alone with. :-(

I would really look at getting a home cuff. And if bedrest happens, get in touch with Green_Ma or myself - we chat on IM a little bit. We've been on very different "levels" of bedrest, so we'd have different been-there-done-that advice to offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.