meals - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we start a freezer/crockpot recipe thread for postpartum meals? So far the only thing I've frozen is chocolate chip pan cookies and brownies. Tasty, but not the healthy food I'm thinking I'll need to get through the day with a newborn and a toddler.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 02:33 AM

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about starting a thread like this!

I haven't started freezer cooking yet (well other than the leftover lentil soup I froze the other day) but I've been thinking about it. I think I'll do 5 or 6 pans of sausage meatballs, everyone loves them and they're versatile and freeze well. I think I'm also going to fry up 10 pounds of hamburger and freeze in one pound portions. I might dice and freeze some small poritions of onions and green peppers, I use those in a lot of dishes. Maybe put together a few lasgnas, too? That's all I've thought of so far.
#3 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 AM

We only have a very small freezer so won't be able to freeze much, if anything, ahead of time. DH and I are trying to brainstorm staples to have on hand for quick throw together meals. We tend to make fairly quick meals, anyway, but I feel like I'm going to want some hearty meals.
#4 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM

My goal from here on out is to double at least 2 meals a week and freeze one. Things I plan to do:
chicken soup, tomato soup, lasagne, eggplant parm, pasta sauce with garden veggies, mac and cheese, enchiladas

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#5 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 AM

We have a freezer full of chicken stock, bean broth, tomato sauce, and pesto.

I'm hoping to make some tomato basil soup this week - we have a ton of tomatoes and basil from our garden to use!

Other than having those staples (plus quinoa, dry beans, rice, dried fruit, peanuts, and some fresh veggies and some frozen) on hand, we'll be hoping for friends to help us out, plus visitors for about a month around the time the baby is born (though one of them doesn't cook...)

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#6 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM

We also have a very small freezer so I can't go crazy with a bunch of casserole sized stuff. I've beent thinking myself about what to have on hand or to make/freeze ahead of time and I'm just so unmotivated to cook right now, it's hard! Usually I enjoy preparing a nice dinner each night, but for the last month or so, it's been a struggle to get much of anything to the table.

Crockpot meals sound pretty good to me postpartum, something I can just throw in there and leave. BBQ chicken on ww buns, chicken mushrooms & wild rice, soups & stews, etc would be very easy to throw in the night before when dh is home to entertain the kiddos & then I could just plug it in the am. I think I'll go that route vs. freezing.

Also having things on hand like ww tortillas, cheese & black beans for quick burritos, tuna & cheese for quick tuna melts, that sort of thing that I can throw together quickly.

Hoping I can get some inspiration from other people's ideas...

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#7 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post

Crockpot meals sound pretty good to me postpartum, something I can just throw in there and leave. BBQ chicken on ww buns, chicken mushrooms & wild rice, soups & stews, etc would be very easy to throw in the night before when dh is home to entertain the kiddos & then I could just plug it in the am. I think I'll go that route vs. freezing.
This is the sort of thing we're planning on. We'll have dry beans in the house (lower sodium than canned, and I'm on a low sodium diet), so we can throw those in the crockpot and voila - burritos, plus beans to turn into other meals. And DS will even snack on beans.

DH is planning to make and freeze a salsa that we can use in a crockpot recipe with chicken that I have.

#8 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Like a lot of you, our freezer just isn't big enough to hold much more than a casserole or two, so finding some good and hearty crock pot recipes is my goal...so will be watching this thread closely!

I'm just stupid when it comes to cooking and really need directions! Does anyone here have a favorite crock pot recipe book? I prefer recipes without canned ingredients like cream of whatever soups and canned beans and such. Those dinners you mention, mistymama, sound great - do you have recipes?
#9 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitikatuka View Post

I'm just stupid when it comes to cooking and really need directions! Does anyone here have a favorite crock pot recipe book? I prefer recipes without canned ingredients like cream of whatever soups and canned beans and such. Those dinners you mention, mistymama, sound great - do you have recipes?
I've used www.crockpot365.blogspot.com. Anything that's canned/packaged I just make myself or substitute something else.

#10 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitikatuka View Post

I can't cook without a recipe either. Mistymama please post your yummy sounding meals!

Does anyone have a good muffin recipe that can be cooked, frozen and then just microwaved or defrosted?

I used this recipe http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread...sFantastic.htm for freezer cinnamon rolls (I made a different icing) and they turned out great!

obstruct livery vehicles

#11 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 AM

So far in the freezer I have a Shepherd's Pie, pre-cooked pinto beans, chicken broth, cherries for smoothies, a loaf of zucchini bread, and 12 Kitchen Sink Muffins. By the middle of Oct. I plan to have 2-3 loaves of homemade whole-wheat bread, several more casseroles, a batch or two of my Creamy Leek Soup, pre-cooked black beans, kidney beans, and lentils, pre-cooked ground beef, pre-cooked rice, and pre-chopped onions, green peppers, and carrots. Oh and probably some chocolate chip, peanut butter, and oatmeal-raisin cookies. Yum I cannot wait to be snuggling my baby and letting DH do all the cooking/reheating!

Honey693---I have an awesome healthy muffin recipe that I freeze and defrost easily all the time. I usually just pop them frozen into the toaster oven for a couple minutes and then they are nice and hot and ready for the breakfast table I don't have a microwave, but I imagine it would work just fine too. These are the only muffins I've been able to find that stay really moist even after freezing---I hate dry, crumbly muffins.

Kitchen Sink Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 T. vanilla
1/4-1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 apple, grated (I use granny smith---if you use a sweet apple you can reduce the honey by a T. or so if you like)
3 carrots, grated
1 banana, mashed (optional) (if you use the banana, use the lower amount of honey)
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup flaked coconut (if sweetened, reduce brown sugar by a T.)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 T. baking powder

Directions:
Combine flour, oats, yogurt, and milk thoroughly in a non-metal bowl; cover with a dishcloth and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. Add eggs, vanilla, honey, butter, apple, carrots, banana, raisins, coconut, and nuts. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a seperate bowl and then add to the wet mixture. Fill each muffin cup nearly to the top with batter and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes approximately 20 muffins.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#12 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 AM

I just bought a chest freezer and I've been having fun filling it up! So far I've got

-spinach and gnocchi with cheese sauce (4)
-vegetarian chili (4)
-black bean soup (5)
-brown rice (4)
-2 batches waffles
-2 batches chocolate waffles
-a random assortment of stuff that I got at my baby shower

I have a long plan otherwise, but this summer heat has been kicking my behind, maybe today while it's cooler I can make some more. I also plan on BBQ (sloppy joes), black beans, curried split peas, lasagne, and a few other kinds of soup.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#13 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Here is what I have so far (made in the last 4 weeks):
Meat loaf X2
Taco meat
Okra Stew
Vegetable soup
zucchini bread (already baked)
squash muffin batter
pasta fagioli (soup with tomatoes, pasta, beans, beef, italian spices)
spaghetti sauce

I still plan on making:
salsa chicken (frozen that goes in crock pot)
chili
curry chicken
3 beans & sausage (frozen that goes in crockpot)
peach chicken curry (frozen that goes in crockpot)
lentil soup
sloppy joe meat
pot pie
Salmon pasta sauce

I usually make a double batch of something once a week and freeze half. It's worked well so far.

The reason I am freezing so many is because DS has allergies and I don't trust people to cook the food. I'm sure we'll get a few meals from good friends but when I had my last baby, the allergen-free stuff wasn't even close. I had requested milk- and soy-free stuff. We got cheesy foccacia, soy-sauce noodles, etc. And this was the stuff that I could tell was actually not safe for us. I'm sure plenty of people used unsafe broth, margarine, etc.

We just have a normal sized freezer on top of our fridge so I'm not sure this will all fit. I should be able to make about 10 things and possibly as much as 14. ALl of the meals will be fairly simple, involving me to cook nothing but pasta, potatoes, bread, or rice to go with it.
#14 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM

this thread is way too exhausting for me! i see a big Sam's Club trip in my future.
#15 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

What kind of containers do you freeze things in? I've been using Tupperware, but I noticed that it gets freezer burned fairly fast.

obstruct livery vehicles

#16 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM

I usually freeze my casseroles in disposable aluminum pans covered with a layer of wax paper and then heavy-duty aluminum foil. Muffins are wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil and then placed in a freezer ziploc. Soups, pre-cooked meat/beans, and pre-chopped veggies go in freezer ziplocs. Whole-wheat bread is wrapped in saran wrap, then heavy-duty aluminum foil, then placed in a ziploc (it gets dry so easily).

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#17 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#18 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post
Does anyone have a good muffin recipe that can be cooked, frozen and then just microwaved or defrosted?
Almost any muffin will freeze well, just undercook them a tiny bit. Banana and applesauce muffins (because of the extra moisture) seem to freeze the best.

I like to freeze quick breads two slices at a time--individually wrapped and inside a gallon freezer bag--this is just enough for a mom and toddler snack.

Google "OAMC" for great freezer recipes of all kinds. the Good and Cheap Eats blog also has wonderful recipes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page