Does my baby even have legs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know the baby is head down, but I *never* (okay, maybe only one time) feel kicks in the ribs and this is concerning me. The kicks are always basically straight to the right of my belly button, and sometimes even lower. It's like my child is folded completely over! Or maybe it just doesn't have normal-sized legs!
Any thoughts as to why it would be this way? Is your baby positioned as it "should" be? Is there really a way it "should" be positioned??
I'd love to hear your thoughts!
#2 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Mine is head down, but basically has his/her butt tucked under my ribs most of the time, and so is sort of folded over like it sounds like you are talking about. I never feel rib kicks, although when s/he wedges their bottom up in my ribs, it burns. Kicks are all lower down, and I get a lot of what must be punches.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#3 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM

My baby is head down, but keeps rolling. Has been posterior, anterior, and faced both sides all within the last 4 days!

When facing to one side, yeah - the kicks are often kind of low. His or her butt is up under my ribs.

There's still plenty of time for those feet to move into our ribs, though! Remember they put on a CRAZY amount of weight in the last month! Like 1/2 pound per week!

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#4 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM

My baby is the same way. I have almost never had any kicks very far "north" of my navel. This little one is usually oblique, and I just have butt up high, and kicks (and punches!) off to the sides. Frankly, I'm okay with not having my ribs rearranged. Although that booty does give me a bruised feeling from time to time when it gets wedged in. Youch.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#5 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Do you know where your placenta is? Perhaps it is on the top and that is why you aren't feeling much movement up high.

My placenta is in the middle, in the front. I feel movement on my sides but nothing at all across my belly proper.
#6 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 AM

You wont feel kicks to the back of your uterus as much, and the placenta may be up there as well blocking the kicks.

I'm sure your babies legs are just perfect!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#7 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Momasana- I hadn't even considered the placenta position! That could really explain a lot, if it's the topmost part of the whole package. Thanks for that food for thought!
#8 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM

I'm getting what I believe is a knee to the ribs - we think it's a knee because when he twists towards the front he pokes that knee straight out and it sticks out the front middle between my ribs. Then I feel his kicks off to the side.

I think position matters so much and honestly, my guy isn't doing nearly as much kicking lately (that I can feel at least!) and more rolling/shifting movements. It feels like he's already run out of room!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#9 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM

DS never kicked my ribs. But when he was born it was quiet obvious by the shape of his legs he had then crossed the whole time. That was why I would just get knees on the sides of my belly but nothing up top.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page