distraught...bye bye HBAC? hello repeat c... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just had my MW appt. she thinks baby is frank breech and BIG. with not a lot of water/anterior placenta which mean ecv is very unlikely. plus ive been ordered in for a trace as her movements have changed recently and there is a chance she's pressing on the cord. im just waiting for my ride to the hospital now. feel bad because DS saw me cry. feel bad because it means so much to me to birth this baby as nature intended, at home and surrounded by her family. not in a theatre weeks early. i feel bad for feeling so selfish - i KNOW i should just be happy with a healthy baby no matter how she gets here. but im just so upset. prayers please, "head down and healthy"...

my section with DS was soooo traumatic and clinical. i didnt get near him for hours and he'd already been washed weighed and dressed. can't go thru that again. i want my baby to hold his baby sister when she is born. not days later when im allowed home (children arent allowed on the wards)

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#2 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Sending good head down vibes your way and hoping for the best ...

I certainly understand how you feel as I had a very clinical c-section with ds and having a more natural experience is very, very important to me. I hope you can get some good news, or at least be able to try to turn her.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#3 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 PM

hugs
I am sorry hun, Your in my thoughts and prayers that everything is alright.
I know how hard it is to not have the birth you want/need. As a mama of 4 sections and a 5th section on the line up I totally understand the sadness and worry....please keep us posted.

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#4 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM

are you seeing a cpm or cnm?

don't throw in the towel just yet. that sounds like alot of very subjective speculation to me. are you heading in to get an u/s? let us know how it goes.
#5 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry I hope she turns or you get some better news.
#6 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM

here is hoping for good news ((hugs))

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#7 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Mama. There's still time for her to turn, and there are things you can do to help. Check out the spinningbabies website, chiro, moxibustion to name a few.

Don't let one midwife's opinion sway you. Seek out someone else if you can.

I hope you hear some good news today at the hosp. xx

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#8 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM

i so hope you make it back home from the hospital and they don't insist on admitting you. melly's right, not only is there still time, but we can affect change/outcome more than the medical establishment will have you believe. bed rest and lots of fluids can build up low amniotic fluid so that potential cord compression and breech presentation can be resolved. tbh, i would be leary of the "establishment" trying to find ways to rope you into another csection since they're automatically trained to believe you're high risk now w/ a previous csection under your belt. i've seen many babies turn this late in the game (even later) by mom being proactive w/ incouraging it thru different positions, lunges, etc. (myself included) once you get back home (thinking positively here), rest rest rest (to minimize fluid loss) and drink LOTS of water!
#9 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

well guys here's the deal......

.......went into hospital.....

....three midwives and a consultant diagnosed direct cephalic (head down) presentation, normal heart rate, normal fluid and a normal sized baby girly.....

....so i've cancelled the c section that the midwife (who was obviously very anti hbac/pro repeat section) had booked for me.

funny how when i questioned her about her diagnosis and told her that i usually find DD's heartrate down low on left hand side slightly and asked her to try listening again, she refused and snubbed me saying "breech babies heat rates are never picked up that low" and refused to check for me - intead saying that she just had a weak heart-rate (she had doppler up in my ribs)....

also when she felt DD move she told me that it wasn't normal/as strong as it should be and that unless im feeling 10 movements an hour that it's not normal. *sigh* i know...individuals don't give a representation of the whole system blah blah *get's moderated* hehe

i was interrigated rather a lot at the hospital about my birth choice and had a few ppl say i was silly etc which has annoyed me, but at least i got the all clear on the health and positioning issue PHEW

very tired out by it all though.

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#10 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM

If you have time, I would really look into finding a chiropractor trained in the Webster technique. It is not a version, it's a different technique that helps turn babies. Good luck.

And please know that even if you have a repeat c-section, I know lots of women have said a planned section can be a completely different experience from a previous unplanned one.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#11 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
hyz

Whoops--I posted the below before seeing your last update!! Well, I'm glad to hear your little girl is cooperating! What a relief!!

----

I'm so sorry you're going through this stress, and I do hope your MW is wrong/surprised and this baby turns for you. I'm a bit behind you, 32.5 weeks, and my baby is still breech, too. I've been doing inversions every day for almost 3 weeks now (sometimes while applying a cold pack near the fundus and/or a heat pack near the pelvis), and still no luck--sometimes he slides around to transverse, but then he always seems to pop head up again. It is so frustrating.

I was lucky enough to have a natural birth with my daughter, but with every day that passes I am still terrified that this little guy is not going to flip around and I will have to have a c-section with him. I got a recommendation for a chiro who does this kind of work from my doula, and I am planning to call her tomorrow to make an appointment. Honestly, I don't have a lot of faith in acupuncture, but I might even try the moxibustion later if I get desperate enough. I'm also going to ask my OB about the ECV option at my appt on Thursday, but I'm a bit scared of that, too, since I read they only work about 50% of the time, and you have to do them under close monitoring and be ready to do a rush c-section in case the version causes a problem and the baby goes into distress. I also read that ECVs are often done with an epidural to relax the uterus and decrease pain, and a BIG part of the reason I wanted a natural birth in the first place was to avoid the epidural (I have a bit of a spine phobia--I don't like anyone touching my spine at all, much less sticking a big old needle in there). Urgh. Let's send good baby turning vibes, all around!!!!!!!

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#12 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Yay, great news!! Sorry you had to go through all that stress, though
#13 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM

This is wonderful. So happy for you!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#14 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM

my goodness, a homebirth midwife trying to "rope" you in, and a hospital unintentionally acting as your advocate. i've seen it all!
#15 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM

I'm so glad you got some good news at the hospital. That midwife sounds like a UAV. She's not the new one you've recently signed up for is she?

#16 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Go to the chiropractor. A good one! Mine was just telling me about his full success rate with the Walker method (or maybe it was another w word). But try that first!! Good luck mama.
#17 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Glad to hear all is well with your little girl!

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#18 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

MELLY no she isn't the same one (the awesome one was acting as this one's stand in when she was on leave)

im going to call the senior midwife at the hospital and arrange a meeting with her to try and set up a plan of action to make sure that only pro-hbac mw's are in attendance. the only worry is that she might not agree with my choices and refuse to send on of "her team" out to me at all which would lave me having to UBAC or agree to IV access CFM and no pool in hospital

#19 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 05:39 AM

I didn't think they could refuse to send someone to you. I thought that legally they have to provide a midwife to attend you wherever you chose to give birth?

#20 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 AM

I think we were posting at about the same time...

I'm so glad everything was great! But, wow... what a rotten thing for your mw to do. Do you think she actually lied to you, or just convinced herself because she didn't want to deal w/ the HBAC?

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#21 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM

What a rollercoaster of events and emotions! No wonder you're exhausted. I'm glad to hear that everything is well with your baby and I hope you have only supportive people around you from hear on out.
#22 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

MELLY... no the can't legally refuse to send someone. BUT they can claim that there isn't anyone available..... or say that there arent any MW's who are happy to attend a HBAC on duty at the time *sigh*

HONEY i think she knew the truth if im honest.

just had a 4D scan to put my mind at rest.... she is head down and weighing 5 1/5 - 6lbs which i think is pretty normal, she'll be a slightly larger baby than "average" but i knew that anyway

she is beautiful and has looooooads of curly hair like her daddy, big kissy lips and was practice breathing and hiccuping. adorable. she yawned and blinked and generally did cute stuff i feel A LOT better

#23 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 02:53 PM

I'm so happy you got better results than what your MW predicted. If I was in your shoes I'd sure be looking for a different care giver. You don't need to be panicked like this for no reason, I think we're all stressed enough without medical scares I hope you can Find someone who is more pro-whatyouwant and less medicalhappy.

For my 3rd baby I went with a partnership of two midwifes and I loved one but the other....ERGH!!!! Freaked me out EVERYTIME I went to her. I was so worried that number 2 would be the one to attend the birth and would try and ship me to the hospital or something.. as it turned out neither got here in time and my DH caught our son

Good luck and I hope you get the home birth you dream of.

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#24 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

i would love to have that happen! DH would spazz out i think but i'd be so happy i dreamed a few times before i was pg that i would fall pg with a little sweet girl and have her flop/fall out while i crouched on my living room floor with me yelling for DH to catch haha

this was back when i was told i'd never be able to have more kiddos and in my mind if i ever was to be able to have more i assumed i'd be in hospital...
so fingers crossed it was a premonition hehe

but yeah im sooo happy with the result of today's scan and the amount of hair she has - OH MY it's wonderful, a proper little fluffy head with a chubby double chin and dimpled hands im in love

just can't get over being told "she's at least 9lbs already, frank breech and has no hope of being turned" when in reality she IS head down (left posterior- but she moves a lot so im not bothered) and all set to be 8 1/2 to 9lbs at birth...IF i go full 40+weeks....not 12 to 13 lbs as the MW predicted...... grr

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page