Mothering Forum banner

Bringing Home Baby (TLC show)

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  southernmommie 
#1 ·
Who else watches this show? I find myself watching this show more and more now the closer I get to my due date. I find it mentally helps me prepare for my own bringing home baby. Lol. On that reasoning, maybe I should start watching Baby Story again.

#3 ·
oh ladies resist!! Go get Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth or Spiritual Midwifery and read up on some inspirational positive birth stories. If you notice those shows always have unnecessary interventions and seem to have a fatalist view of birth for the most part. Definitely not what you want in your mind as you enter into these last few weeks.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirkey View Post
oh ladies resist!! Go get Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth or Spiritual Midwifery and read up on some inspirational positive birth stories. If you notice those shows always have unnecessary interventions and seem to have a fatalist view of birth for the most part. Definitely not what you want in your mind as you enter into these last few weeks.
Ditto! I had to stop watching last time I was pregnant and then caught myself watching it again - and of course it makes my blood pressure rise. So, I'm sticking to postive birth stories.

#6 ·
Bringing Home Baby does not show birth if I'm correct - it's more about following people after they have brought their little ones home. Lots of "didn't make enough milk" and bad breastfeeding advise that could irk you, but I don't remember any bad birth interventions.

I remember seeing one where the Mama had twins and was breastfeeding and cloth diapering!

Anyway, OP, I'm personally trying to stay away from the TLC shows because i'm doing hypnobabies and they recommend it, plus I have lots of fears I'm trying to get over from my traumatic first birth. So I'm really trying to change my birth mindset and those TLC shows are prob not best for me right now.

But it's hard to resist them!!! I'm getting so excited to bring home my own baby!!!!

#7 ·
my problem lately has been watching 'I didn't know I was pregnant' which is just so awful I can usually laugh at it. The things people say and the interventions and such are just terrible. I agree a baby story is pretty horrible for interventions and bringing home baby has lots of bad breastfeeding advice too.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EzzysMom View Post
my problem lately has been watching 'I didn't know I was pregnant' which is just so awful I can usually laugh at it.
Holy cow, those births are so over the top worst. pain. ever! I'm not unduly freaked out by A Baby Story births. I can back seat drive those and clinically determine where things started to break down.

By I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant shows are way worse. I tell myself two things...

1. It seems so horrifically painful because the producers/directors are playing that up for effect. It's acting, not reality.

2. The women probably did have more of the fear/tension/pain cycle because they didn't know what was happening to them. Fair enough.

I've gotten judicious in watching these types of shows. I tape them and then watch the opening scene. If it seems like it's going to be traumatic, I delete without watching.

#10 ·
Oooh. I can't watch I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. I can't watch A Baby Story either. Sometimes I watch it and remember why I don't watch it. I can handle the bad breastfeeding advice on Bringing Home Baby. I've breastfed all of my children. By now I know what works for me and how to problem solve or at least where to look for the answers that I do have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.