help for leg cramps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having really bad charlie horses at night when i sleep. so bad that my legs ache for days like i have pulled a muscle. Does anyone have any advice on what I may be lacking dietarily?

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#2 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Potassium and magnesium help. Eat bananas and dark, dark chocolate (upwards of 82%).

But, during pregnancy, they just happen It really sucks. Make sure you're relaxing your leg when you get one. It's really really hard, because your reflex when you're in pain is to tense your muscle, but that makes it so much worse. You have to really, really concentrate on relaxing the muscles in your leg. Someone told me (maybe here? Maybe somewhere else?) to make sure that your feet are flat and pointing towards the ceiling (like you're standing on the ground, even though you're lying down).

Good luck!

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#3 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 PM

I agree with the potassium and magnesium get more of those in.

Also keep tonic water next to your bed and have a drink when it happens and the cramp will go away within seconds.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#4 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 AM

yup, crank your toes as far towards your shins as you can as soon as you feel one coming on and that helps dissipate them.

supplementing w/ liquid cal/mag is often recommended, too.
#5 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 AM

My midwife last pregnancy had me take a Calcium/Magnesium combo. I think it really helped- it's worth a shot!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#6 of 13 Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

i started with the cal/mag. i have had charlie horses for years and always relieved them by flattening my feet, or standing on a cool surface, but nothing is relieving them. I had one that went on for hours the other night and all I could do was cry. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking any thing. I have also been trying to up the pottasium. I started sleeping with dried bananas by my bed.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#7 of 13 Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 PM

If you're a data dork like me you might find this Cochrane Review of leg cramps helpful. It suggests that magnesium may provide some help. I'm started taking mag yesterday b/c i got a pretty bad cramp the night before.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab000121.html

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

#8 of 13 Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 PM

I've been getting them in my ANKLES for the past 2 nights! It's so weird. I've only ever gotten them in my calves before (and these are the first I've had them with this pregnancy).

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#9 of 13 Old 08-28-2010, 01:02 AM

I would try to eat a banana right before bed. And stretch them really good right before climbing into bed too. That's what helped me. So far I haven't had a problem with the cramps, but my last two pg's would wake me up with bad leg cramps in the middle of the night.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#10 of 13 Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 AM

i get heartburn and leg cramps at night, rennie tablets are made for heartburn and are made outta calcium and mag. two birds with one stone baby!

gonna try to tonic water thing - mostly cuz i just kinda like it ^_^

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#11 of 13 Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM

MW put me on cal/mag and then the OB added potassium tabs at night time. So far for the last 2 nights, I haven't had any. stretching helps but it just seems we are doomed to always have them in the middle of the night!

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#12 of 13 Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 AM

mine were so bad last night that i've torn a muscle in my calf and am having trouble walking *sigh*

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#13 of 13 Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Get your calcium in - and take it separate from your iron - they cancel each other out. I got a bad one this morning, and I know its because I've been focusing too much on my iron levels! That's what I get!

I have also heard tonic water helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page