Future Tandem Nursers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um, so raise your hand if you're still breastfeeding? We are hanging on at 33+ weeks with 1-3 sessions and leaking colostrum... I know I can't be the only one?

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 PM

We're not nursing anymore. DD weaned in early June, but she talks about having nums again when the baby comes and brings lots of milk. So hope to be tandem nursing. We'll see

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM

The jury's still out for me. DS1 is still interested occasionally, but there's nothing there. I have a feeling he will want to start back up once the baby's here. I'm not opposed to it, but I do want to make sure that DS2 gets everything that he needs, so I'm a little concerned about nursing them both.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#4 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM

27 weeks and she still nurses several times a day though I am not sure if she gets anything. I could not squeeze out a drop when she was complaining about her ear yesterday. She says yes there is milk but usually goes for a drink of water when she is done so I am not sure. She shows no decrease in interest though and I am worried that when the supply comes back she will never stop!
#5 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Almost 35 weeks and DS has increased his frequency since colostrum has appeared. So we'll be tandem nursing for sure!

Thankfully, I have 2 local friends who are currently tandem nursing and a 3rd friend who has tandem nursed with two different sets of nurslings (she has three kids).

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#6 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 PM

Almost 32 weeks and still nursing here. My milk stopped at week 25 and was quickly replaced with colostrum. DS is only nursing before/after nap/sleep and only when he is really upset/hurt. He has really slowed down these past few months and he doesn't seem to be so keen on the colostrum flavor.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#7 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM

34 weeks here, DD has picked up with the colostrum and things have gotten more comfortable which is great. Still can't wait to get actual milk though rather than the sometimes discomfort I've still got. She'll do a LONG session in the morning when I actually feel like my boobs are full.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#8 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 AM

34 weeks and still nursing 1-3 times a day. I am curious to see how things go when my milk comes in - I can see it swinging either way.
#9 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 AM

34 weeks and still nursing 3-4 times a day. I thought he would wean at the beginning of my pregnancy because I had no more milk, but he is LOVING the colostrum now so we will be tandem nursing for sure. I'm just a little scared he will want to nurse every time he sees the baby nurse
#10 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen24 View Post
34 weeks and still nursing 3-4 times a day. I thought he would wean at the beginning of my pregnancy because I had no more milk, but he is LOVING the colostrum now so we will be tandem nursing for sure. I'm just a little scared he will want to nurse every time he sees the baby nurse
Oh...we'll be in that boat, too! I'm hoping I can quickly learn to nurse this baby in a sling so DS doesn't ALWAYS know/see when I'm nursing.

I have a friend who says her toddler sometimes nurses MORE often than the baby.

I just hope my need for space from the active and reckless toddler diminishes after the birth...

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#11 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Well, I'm currently sort of tandem nursing, and plan/hope to continue after baby is born.

My 4 yo actually hasn't asked to nurse the last couple of nights. I'm kind of hoping I didn't inadvertently miss his last nursing session. I'd like to get one last bf picture.

My 2 yo is nursing a LOT less than his brothers did at this age (and I was pg for each of them at this time, too). Sometimes he'll nurse 1 or 2 times in a day, but he'll go a whole day without nursing, too. I was really upset about it, but I think I've come to terms with the possibility that he'll wean. However, I think he'll pick up to nurse more once the baby is here. For awhile, if he saw me nursing his older brother, that is when he would want to nurse the most.

With each new baby, I have experienced the toddler wanting to nurse a lot more often. But, they've also been pretty good about waiting their turn to nurse, and realize baby gets to nurse first because they can eat big food and the baby can't. I try to have books on hand to read to the toddler while nursing the baby. If I absolutely have to, I'll nurse both at once, but I don't like it in general. Sometimes, though, it is an invaluable parenting tool and the only way I can get them both to sleep at the same time. Nursing the toddler is a way to reassure him that he's still my baby, too, and I think it has really cut down on jealousy issues.

Overall, the positives of tandem nursing have outweighed the negatives. My boys are all SOOO close. I am amazed at how well they play together and how much they show their love for one another. Of course, they fight and can be mean to one another, too... but I grew up with two fighting brothers close in age, and the difference in degree is pretty significant.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#12 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM

we are in that boat. Ds is still nursing and it is probably 4-5 times a day. enough colostrum now at 35 weeks that he swallows occasionally he is very excited for there to be milk.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page