For those not finding out the sex of the baby... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think you are having? Are you getting a lot of guesses for a boy or girl? Or is it mixed?

We aren't finding out and unlike last time, I don't have a strong feeling either way. Last time, I knew it was a boy. This time I kind of think it is a boy but I'm not so sure.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM

I strongly feel like it is a girl.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#3 of 27 Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

I still don't have any kind of feeling about it either way. At all. Most of our family members seem to think it's a girl, but I can't tell if that's what they're hoping for (both sides have more grandsons/nephews than granddaughters/nieces) or they really think that's what it is.

This is the first time in my life that I'm bonding with someone without knowing that person's sex. I thought it would be more frustrating, but it's really no big deal for us. It'll be just one more surprise at birth along with who baby looks like.

9/2011 items decluttered
#4 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 AM

We didn't find out with DS, and I was pretty sure he was a boy!

I've thought "boy" for most of this pregnancy - except in the beginning when I was much more emotionally unstable than I recalled being with DS, and then I had a gigantic pimple (which is out of the ordinary for me).

Now I'm thinking girl, mainly because I think this baby is smaller than DS was.

We'll know pretty soon, though!! I'm not stressed about it at all. There are much more meaningful variables (like temperament) that I am much more concerned about (I don't know if I can survive another sleeper like DS. I'm still not sure how I got through the first year or so with him...). Unfortunately, there is no test to prepare me for or warn me of those sort of factors!

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#5 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 AM

Everyone keeps telling me this babe is a boy. DH, however, thinks it's a girl, and I have no clue. I have had only one dream that I remember about this baby, the day after my ultrasound back at 18 weeks. In the dream, we had a beautiful baby boy! I'm not necessarily convinced I'm right, though.

Nonetheless, less than 6 weeks until we put an end to the speculation once and for all!

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#6 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 AM

I feel very strongly that it's a boy. I went to FIL's office barbeque and 3 ladies all told me I'm having a boy.

My sister, who is due a week ahead of me, had a premonition that we are both having girls. This was the same night I had a dream it was a girl.

Who knows?!?
#7 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 08:59 AM

I intuitively knew with both my other kids, but this time around it's more of a guess. I did have a dream early on that it was a boy, who around the age of one had just a bit of blonde hair (funny since both of my other kids had an enormous headful of hair at age one!), and so for most of the pregnancy and I guess even now I still think it's probably a boy, but there was a period of time where I was sure it is a girl... Can't wait for the big moment to find out!!

edd 10-10-10 at home
#8 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM

I never had a strong feeling with my three boys, but this time, I'm really feeling like I'm having a girl. But, part of me wonders if it's just wishful thinking. I mean, I've always told myself we were never "trying" for a girl in the first place, but I know there's a part of me that really wants a girl... and I'm finally willing to admit it. So, I'm a little worried about being disappointed this time around. I know I'd love a little boy and it won't make a difference long term, but as this is probably our last baby... I'm really trying to prepare myself for having a boy, but I still keep inadvertently calling this baby "she."

To add another wrinkle, there is a non-invasive way we could find out baby's gender. I'm rh-, and there is a new, simple blood test (they just draw mom's blood) that finds out baby's rh factor as well as the gender. Since I'm having a homebirth, it would be helpful to know ahead of time whether I'll need to get rhogam or not. It's an out of network lab, though, so we'd have to pay 40%, which is around $100. I'm not sure it's worth it, or if I really want to know baby's sex or not.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#9 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I'm rh-, and there is a new, simple blood test (they just draw mom's blood) that finds out baby's rh factor as well as the gender.
Really? That's neat. I'm rh-, too, and I might consider that next time around.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#10 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Everyone....I mean Everyone tells me I am having a girl....I even have a friend that refuses to acknowledge that it could even possibly be a boy people are funny.

So my feeling has always been girl as well, but I am pretty sure that is just because I am being influenced by all these girl comments...

Even DS who is 3.5 is convinced, he has always, since the beginning, referred to the baby as she and her and told everyone he is having a sister....

Well....either way I am happy with a healthy babe might be quite funny if it turns out to be a boy!

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#11 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM

From the beginning, I thought "Girl. Definitely." Since then almost everyone we know has agreed, even when they didn't know what our hunch was. We mentioned to DH's friend that we relaly thought it was a girl, and he said, "Really? I've had 3 dreams about your baby and it has always been a girl." (Of course, once he dreamed it was a female rabbit, so... lol) DH and I have also dreamed about only girl babies since I got pregnant.

BUT. Just this one time, back when I was about 9 weeks, I dreamed a gave birth, and the midwife/doctor/nurse/shadowy-dream-figure handed it to me and I asked, "What is it?" To which the midwife-person replied, "It's a boy!" To which I then replied, "But... but EVERYBODY said it was a GIRL!!!" So maybe all of this is just a set up for that dream to come true? Either way is fine with me... I am just excited to hold this baby!

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#12 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM

I think this thread invaded my dreams last night. I dreamt I had a baby girl (and I got to try out the name we're considering...I think it's a keeper!). But then I remember being very disappointed by everyone's "Oh, we knew that already" reaction.

9/2011 items decluttered
#13 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM

I had a very strong boy feeling at first and then it turned into a very strong girl feeling and now in the last weeks Ive resigned to admitting that I simply don't know this time around and honestly, for the first time, I am not at all concerned about it. I would be thrilled with either a boy or a girl and I'm actually really excited about having the surprise to wait for.
#14 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

All of these dream talks, remind me of the only one I've had with baby pumpkin. I gave birth to male twin ferrets. talk about crazy!

With DS, I had several dreams that I gave birth to a blond hair blue eyed boy (which did happen).

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#15 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
Really? That's neat. I'm rh-, too, and I might consider that next time around.
That would be nice. Getting Rhogam was such a PITA since my MW can't write orders or prescriptions. I got my family doctor to write an order for the Rhogam work up and I have a prescription for the shot for after the birth. I'm not sure it's worth the rigamarole to get this test right now though unless the confidence is very, very high. Even then not sure if it'd be worth the hassle.

Oh, and my feeling has been that this one is another boy though recently I've been getting more girl vibes. So I'm really not sure.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#16 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Like PP, I have 3 boys and am pregnant with my fourth. With my third I was POSITIVE it was a girl. Didn't have a boy name picked out until a couple of weeks ahead of time but man, I had that girl's name picked out for months. I was SURE it was a girl. When the doctor delivered my DS3, I had one millionth of a second where I was confused because how could I have been that wrong??!! But it passed and immediately I was thrilled with my third boy.

So, all that said, you can see why I won't speculate at all with this one BUT, of every random stranger who has commented on the baby's gender, EVERY ONE of them has said girl- whether they knew I already had boys or not.

We'll meet her or him soon enough I guess- starting to get really excited!!
#17 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM

i've been thinking girl right along. my mother-in-law is sure it's a girl.

i've had three very vivid birth dreams and they have all been boy...

so we'll see!

so far we kind of have some girl names picked out, but none that we are in love with and we are at odds with the boy names. so the longer it stays without a gender the better!

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

#18 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We never find out the gender. My husband says "it would be like knowing what your Christmas present is before opening it" It just makes it all the more special on 'birthday'.

With our first My MIL was positive it was a boy and therefore I was determined to have a girl and I did

With #2 no feeling one way or another.

With #3 I was %100 positive it was a GIRL...like to the point of ONLY washing newborn girl clothes, only having a girl name picked out, girl babyshower and everything. Surprise surprise when my darling SON came out I think I was in major denial thinking "why does my little girl have a scrotum?" It was awfully funny and I was ecstatically happy with either gender it was just ..funny because I 'NEW' it was going to be a girl and well..he wasn't.

So for #4 and this one I've pretty much given up on the guessing game or going with my instincts cause frankly.......I don't think they're working properly

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#19 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM

I think the baby is a boy, but we haven't found out with any pregnancy... and I always guess wrong, so who knows. I mostly hear boy but that is because I carry in front (and did when expecting a girl, too)

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#20 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
Everyone....I mean Everyone tells me I am having a girl....I even have a friend that refuses to acknowledge that it could even possibly be a boy people are funny.
This is the same with me too. My midwife even says she gets strong "girlie" vibes. My 5 yo says it's a girl too.

Me... I felt like my boys were girls and I feel like this one is a boy. Maybe I'm just good like that or I'm just being realistic.
#21 of 27 Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 PM

Everyone I run into keep telling me girl but I think that it is b/c I have two boys and they just say that. There have been some subtle differences this PG but I wonder if it is just wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePie View Post
We'll know pretty soon, though!! I'm not stressed about it at all. There are much more meaningful variables (like temperament) that I am much more concerned about (I don't know if I can survive another sleeper like DS. I'm still not sure how I got through the first year or so with him...). Unfortunately, there is no test to prepare me for or warn me of those sort of factors!
We found out with my first b/c my husband needed to know that I was having a boy, as if the u/s could change the fact to suit his wishes for a son. With #2, it was a total surprise PG and my son was only 6mo when I got PG, so I just prayed for a sleeper the whole time...didn't really care either way. This time I do have a preference but first and foremost I want a sleeper that doesn't talk back...

Quote:
I never had a strong feeling with my three boys, but this time, I'm really feeling like I'm having a girl. But, part of me wonders if it's just wishful thinking. I mean, I've always told myself we were never "trying" for a girl in the first place, but I know there's a part of me that really wants a girl... and I'm finally willing to admit it. So, I'm a little worried about being disappointed this time around. I know I'd love a little boy and it won't make a difference long term, but as this is probably our last baby... I'm really trying to prepare myself for having a boy, but I still keep inadvertently calling this baby "she."
I do desperately want a girl but feel like this is a boy. I didn't want a girl the first time around and didn't really care the 2nd time, but this time I really want a mother daughter relationship...I hate saying that aloud as I feel like it sounds awful. I will love a boy of course but my heart will be a little sad to not have a girl as this is our last baby.

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#22 of 27 Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
That would be nice. Getting Rhogam was such a PITA since my MW can't write orders or prescriptions. I got my family doctor to write an order for the Rhogam work up and I have a prescription for the shot for after the birth. I'm not sure it's worth the rigamarole to get this test right now though unless the confidence is very, very high. Even then not sure if it'd be worth the hassle.

Oh, and my feeling has been that this one is another boy though recently I've been getting more girl vibes. So I'm really not sure.
The lab says it is 98% accurate. If the results come back female with rh-, then they'll want a second blood sample just to make sure they were getting baby's blood type and not mom's. Here's an article about it.

http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.c...enotyping.html

The link to the lab is there somewhere. I've been considering it for a few weeks, since I found out about it. We were trying to figure out insurance issues, since it's out of network. Now I need to find out what the turn-around time is, because I'm 33.5 weeks. But I'm still not sure I want to pay our portion of the lab fee given it's just an added convenience to know ahead of time instead of doing blood typing after the birth. (I choose not to do the pregnancy rhogam regardless of baby's rh-type, and just do the post partum shot if baby's positive.)

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#23 of 27 Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises View Post
[COLOR="blue"]
I do desperately want a girl but feel like this is a boy. I didn't want a girl the first time around and didn't really care the 2nd time, but this time I really want a mother daughter relationship...I hate saying that aloud as I feel like it sounds awful. I will love a boy of course but my heart will be a little sad to not have a girl as this is our last baby.
That's how I feel. There are times when I think it will be really great to have an all-boy family. I love my family of boys right now! But then something will hit me out of the blue about having a daughter... a few months back it was a Mothering article about a "Red" party celebrating a girl's first menstrual cycle and I started crying, thinking I'd never have an opportunity to do something like that or to pass on my "wisdom" about being a girl/woman. I can pass on everything else to my boys if they are interested, regardless of their gender, but not that.

#24 of 27 Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 PM

I feel the same way about a mother/daughter relationship.
#25 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM

Girl vibes here this time around. Last time we knew for sure it was a boy but this time has been hard to guess. Everyone guesses girl for us, even the MW. We'll see in a few weeks....

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#26 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
That's how I feel. There are times when I think it will be really great to have an all-boy family. I love my family of boys right now! But then something will hit me out of the blue about having a daughter... a few months back it was a Mothering article about a "Red" party celebrating a girl's first menstrual cycle and I started crying, thinking I'd never have an opportunity to do something like that or to pass on my "wisdom" about being a girl/woman. I can pass on everything else to my boys if they are interested, regardless of their gender, but not that.
My mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was 10...I want to mother a girl through all those moments I missed out on. Plus I am having a homebirth this time around and I feel the need to bring a female into the world that celebrates labor/birthing in a healthy way! I am really looking to have someone in my life to celebrate how awesome it is to be a woman.

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#27 of 27 Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises View Post
My mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was 10...I want to mother a girl through all those moments I missed out on. Plus I am having a homebirth this time around and I feel the need to bring a female into the world that celebrates labor/birthing in a healthy way! I am really looking to have someone in my life to celebrate how awesome it is to be a woman.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page