When are you washing diapers/clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read somewhere to start washing clothes at 38 weeks but DD was born at 38 weeks. I really don't remember when I did this last time around. I'm cleary starting to get antsy .

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#2 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 AM

I washed them as I got them. That way I wasn't behind in laundry trying to do all of whatever I had and get frustrated. I get easily overwhelmed with housework and finally found it works better for me to just wash it as I get it. Like I'm ordering a 12 pack of cloth diapers next week and will wash those as soon as I get them so they will be ready when baby arrives. I've had a baby at 35 weeks and I've had a baby over 40 weeks. The only thing I'm stressing is having my bag ready by 34 weeks. NO LATER than 34 weeks just in case I have another early baby. I can always add my toiletries at the last minute.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#3 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll start as soon as I get a new changing table, which is still a couple weeks away! So probably I'll start washing and getting clothes folded and set up around 37 weeks. I don't think it's a big deal to do it earlier, though. I mean if they're clean, it doesn't reallly matter if they're sitting there for a month.
#4 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 10:38 AM

I already did most of it since I had to dig through DS's stored clothes anyhow. I pulled out all the NB and 0-3 month clothing and threw in the diapers I had lying around when I washed it all. I still need to dig out some of DS's outgrown diapers though they might not fit the baby immediately.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#5 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM

I've already done most of it. I've got a pile of clothes that scream GIRL that I haven't rewashed yet as I don't know the gender that I haven't washed, but I'll add those to the list of todos in the first few days if it is a girl. Things I'm getting now I just keep washing as I go. I'm glad to have the diapers ready, clothes aren't such a big pain, but the diapers were new and so they needed a bunch of washing.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#6 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM

This time I'm washing things as I unpack them (or as they arrive in the case of gifts). Last time I'd do a load whenever I had enough similarly colored clothing for a full load... that isn't a problem this time because we now do laundry 24-7. I wash any new diapers asap (and separate from diapers currently being used) so that they'll be "ready."

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#7 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 02:20 PM

Since my babies are all-natural for the first few weeks of life I'm only sweating getting the diapers and receiving blankets washed ahead of time.

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#8 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katri'smama View Post
Since my babies are all-natural for the first few weeks of life I'm only sweating getting the diapers and receiving blankets washed ahead of time.
What do you mean by all-natural ?

I've got the diapers washed (34 weeks) and only have 5 newborn outfits, 2 of which are washed.

caffix.gif

#9 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Oh It's just that we're very 'home based' family and after baby is born we pretty much don't go anywhere for the first few weeks. Gives us time to really bond with baby and welcome him/her to our family. ( we're not so much into the 'showing off' baby ) So for the most part I sit in my recliner with nakey baby on my chest and nothing but a diap on him/her bum. sorry if TMI Can't wait!!

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#10 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 PM

We are doing it today! I just want to have everything done and ready so I can be huge and miserable the last several weeks without having to do anything. Plus I too had a 35 weeker and that means it this one comes that early i only have 2.5 weeks to get things done. eeeeeeeck!
I am even washing the car seat and gym mat..ect and will put the base for the carseat back in both cars probably this weekend or next mostly so it's out of the way and ds stops playing with them.
#11 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katri'smama View Post
Oh It's just that we're very 'home based' family and after baby is born we pretty much don't go anywhere for the first few weeks. Gives us time to really bond with baby and welcome him/her to our family. ( we're not so much into the 'showing off' baby ) So for the most part I sit in my recliner with nakey baby on my chest and nothing but a diap on him/her bum. sorry if TMI Can't wait!!
Ahhh gotcha. Not TMI at all...in fact we are the same way.

caffix.gif

#12 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 PM

I have a load of dark baby clothes in the dryer right now. I'm 34 weeks.
#13 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 PM

Months ago! I was too excited and couldn't wait. They're all sitting in clean drawers so they won't get dusty.

9/2011 items decluttered
#14 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 08:40 AM

I've been washing baby clothing as I get it - I just throw it in with our regular laundry.

But I've got a ton of cloth diapers/covers to wash and I will do that as soon as I buy whatever detergent I plan to use on them, plus I have a few more final things on the way that should be here next week.

Like a few other people have said, I had a 34 weeker. I don't think this is one is coming early, but I also don't want to be caught unprepared again. It's my plan to have everything ready by the time I'm 34 weeks.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#15 of 22 Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 PM

I washed all of the baby clothes two weeks ago when I was getting the closet organized. I'm 34 weeks now, so I was 32 weeks when I did the closet.

I still have to do diapers. My friend is sharing some of her NB size so I wanted to wait to wash my smalls so I can do them all in the same load.
#16 of 22 Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 AM

I don't want to do it too soon, because then I start getting antsy thinking the baby should be here. And I've gone to almost 42 weeks with my first two. My third surprised me at 38.5 weeks, though. So, I'll probably get the diapers and clothes out around 37 weeks. But first I need to figure out where to put them.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#17 of 22 Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Oh Melissa, I hope this little guy surpriseds me and shows up around 38 weeks! (or even 39 or 40 ) All the others were 41+.

I started washing adorable teeny baby clothes last night I'll just box them up until closer to my edd, but it's nice to be getting stuff ready!
#18 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM

I started washing clothes yesterday and will be doing bedding and carriers today. I love baby clothes! Especially non-pink frilly girly clothes I am so over pink. Luckily DD doesnt actually have a lot of pink. Her favourite colour is blue

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#19 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM

DH does all the laundry in our house. I told him yesterday that the baby has dropped and he got so excited! Am thinking we'll spend the long weekend washing clothes and diapers - really fun prep stuff for us. Guess I should pack bags soon too. I'm 35 weeks.

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#20 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
hyz

Well, as soon as I have a room to put the clothes in, I guess. This week construction started to divide up our too-big master bedroom into two rooms. DD will move into the new room when it is done, and this baby will get her room. So, maybe sometime around 36-38 weeks I'll be washing clothes and dipes? We still have to take care of "small details" like actually buying furniture and a rug and decor and such for the baby's room--I may wash the clothes before we get that done, though.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#21 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 PM

Im actually thinking about starting this week sometime, but frankly im being lazy about it I did wash a few loads of my dipes but I know they still need another wash to quilt completely up (im saving that for closer till the baby comes) it was miserably hot here so the thought of the washer/dryer running was too much for me. Im washing the stuff we need immediately though plus some stuff that is being passed down from the boys that I think is pretty gender neutral that was in storage. I did want to go ahead and washing all the coverings to the new things we bought (rocker, baby swing, bassinet) since they are new and I wanted to line dry them. plus I can feel all the sizing in the fabric and want them to be soft for the baby.
#22 of 22 Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 AM

I did it this past weekend at 33 weeks (twins). I think any time now is a good time to do it. It was nice to get that part over with!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page