totally freaking need something to clear this fear... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know posterior presentation gets talked about a lot and the usual advice of crawling etc etc but im TOTALLY freaked by this baby's love of hugging her anterior placenta

DS ended up in a cs as he was posterior and went into distress

i'm planning a HBAC and so afraid of another posterior labour (i didnt get back pain with DS's labour - just pain all over my body and i shook loads

i need to hear positive stories of babies turning, easy posterior deliveries and just generally be given some hope that i can do this at home using hypnobirthing and no meds. literally is this possible???

im engulfed with dread that i wont be able to birth her, will be transferred and cut up again. yet on the odd occasion when she rotates to LOA im overjoyed and feel like i could birth her in a second no problems at all.

i know it's all hormonal freaking out and stuff but i would really love to be able to release this... OR JUST HAVE MY BABY ROTATE DARN IT!

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#2 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 AM

I've had an anterior placenta both pregnancies. My delivery with DS was difficult, but not at all because he was in a bad position!

Are you sure baby is always posterior? This is baby is always rolling, though staying head-down.

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#3 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try to stay positive! She's got time to turn. And if she's still OP during labor, the MW should be able to get her to turn. It'll be okay!
#4 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I have an anterior placenta too. I had/have the same fears about posterior positioning as a result. I asked my midwife if posterior positioning was more common when the mother had an anterior placenta and she didn't find that to be true in her experience. I don't know if there is other research to say otherwise.

I hope someone else has some first hand experience they can share to ease your mind a little!
#5 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

im not worried that anterior placenta might cause posterior labour, im worried about posterior labour itself.

i know she's posterior 90% of the time at least and im really worried that this means i wont be able to birth her???? that her birthing will be overdue and she'll get stuck or i'll fail to dialate or something because of her positioning

guess i need to hear from mamas who have birthed pos babies and just be told "it makes no difference just stop moaning and give birth already sheesh" lol

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#6 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 PM

My daughter was posterior and it was "discovered" very late in the labor. She rotated slightly while I was pushing and that got her out. She was early. It was a long labor but I dilated fine.
Back labor was "worse" than non back labor, but there are many things you can do during labor to encourage the wee one to turn. I figure you have been to spinning babies?

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#7 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

yeah i have been on spinnin babies do it all every day lol
*sigh*

i honestly dont care if it hurts like hell (don't remind me of this while im in labour lol) just as long as she comes out! healthy and wriggling into my arms (or DH's) so i can hold her first. not a theatre team

#8 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM

I am on my 6th pregnancy. I had one and only one homebirth. My first son.

He was anterior placenta. Posterior presentation. My biggest baby at 9# even.

I delivered him in my one and only completely natural birth.

All my others were smaller, better presentation, no other anterior placentas that I know of. And I had pitocin and an epidural w/all four of them.

My story/point?

My anterior placenta, posterior presentation, biggest baby was my BEST birth as far as I'm concerned. I'm not gonna say it didn't hurt. I'm not gonna say it was easier. I'm not gonna say it didn't take more recovery. But I did it all my own.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#9 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Here's a positive story:

My second child was posterior until the bitter end. As far as I know, most of latent labor as well. The latent labor (about 11 hrs of infrequent, mild contractions 30 to 60 min. apart) was as easy as the first labor in which baby was in the perfect position (walking and talking through contractions most of the time) and the active labor was under an hour, so half my first active labor. It did hurt, but most of it was a "good hurt" except where I think her elbow was poking my hip (unrelated to posterior-ness) and that ended when my water broke.

So there you go. You can do it. No, it's not ideal, but birth is not the SATs. It's more like an essay thing. Sometimes it gets long and/or confusing and/or there's a little detour but those can be the best ones!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#10 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

#11 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM

My DS turned posterior probably just in the second phase of labor and I didn't even realize it until I was checked (because I had been pushing at that point for 3hrs). He then half turned himself anterior, took a break in the vaginal canal, and then came out closer to posterior with a hand up.
He was 9lbs, 7oz and I had no tearing! BUT, it did take me 6 hours to push him out!! Totally worth it though, totally doable as well.

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#12 of 16 Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
No, it's not ideal, but birth is not the SATs. It's more like an essay thing. Sometimes it gets long and/or confusing and/or there's a little detour but those can be the best ones!
I love this! This was my birth with my dd. No, it wasn't ideal (posterior position, asynclitic head tip, anterior placenta), but in the end I was really happy with all of our decisions and felt empowered. We did transfer to the hospital to get some drugs to help me relax (after 25 hours at home I was feeling scared), and once I managed to relax and sleep a bit she turned and dropped and was born vaginally. And she was 10.5 pounds! So yeah, I'm definitely hoping for non-posterior labor this time, but even if it's not perfect at lest we'll have a more interesting essay to write when it's done.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#13 of 16 Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Find a chiropractor trained in the Webster Technique. It is a huge help for turning babies!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#14 of 16 Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM

My friend had her first posterior, AKA sunny side up, at home, attended by CNMs. The birth was awesome for them, and was the first home birth I was ever aware of in our circle.

Her birth story encouraged several of our friends over the years to also have home births with CNMs. The kid is starting first grade next week!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#15 of 16 Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 PM

My first baby was posterior and NEVER TURNED. Labor was not fun but totally doable. I was in the hospital, with a doula, used no drugs, had a tiny tear that wasn't stitched.

While I wouldn't sign up for another posterior baby, if this one is posterior I know its not the end of the world. I think that HypnoBabies is going to be a huge benefit to you. I used HypnoBabies with my second birth and it was a breeze. I am using HypnoBabies with my current PG as well.

Deep breath, all is well.
#16 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM

I don't have any personal experience (1st turned anterior during early labor), but I was born posterior after an unmedicated vaginal birth in the hospital (in 1985, which is totally amazing right!?).

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page