Low placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to my 36-week appointment yesterday and my midwife took a long time rereading the notes from my 20-week ultrasound (level 2).
Then she said she'd like to schedule an ultrasound because apparently at 20 weeks, I had a low placenta.

Of course, that was the first I'd ever heard of it! I asked what that could mean, and she said something about bleeding. But she didn't expand and didn't make it seem like that big of a deal. It was only when I got home and started Googling that I started to get worried.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm hoping for a VBAC this time around (and my midwife knows this!), and it sounds like low placentas can sometimes necessitate a C-section. Ugh.

Anne - Wife to DH, mom to DD (5/08) and DS (10/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 01:30 PM

I hope they find the answer they need and let you know. For me, its the not knowing that drives me nutso. I hate when they leave out pertinent information like that! I hope you get your VBAC, but safely.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#3 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM

I had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks, they recheck it at 28-ish and it was nice and high. My doctor said they generally move, so hopefully yours has too!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Placenta previa is pretty rare, so it is most likely that your placenta will have moved by this point, although it can be fairly common to have a low lying placenta at 20 weeks.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page