Breech baby - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have a breech baby (or had one before) that can help?

I'm 34 weeks w/ a little boy who won't turn head down. He was head down the entire preg, but about 4 weeks ago he went head up. I have been trying some swimming, bathing, visualizing baby turn, pelvic tilts, etc. as well as gone to chiropractor for the Webster technique (3 times in last couple weeks) but baby is being stubborn.

I'm gonna try accupuncture next week. If he doesn't turn by 37 weeks there is the option to then do "version" where the OB manually tries to turn the baby. You are admitted to the hospital for the procedure in case it induces labor and you are monitored for a couple hours afterward. I guess it's about 60% chance of working. It sounds uncomfortable to have done.

BUT I DO NOT WANT A C-SECTION IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. I have worked so hard on my hypnobabies program and want to see what my birthing time brings. Anyone had success with version?

Does anyone have have suggestions or advice about turning baby or the version technique?

Me: 31 y/o, DH: 32 y/o - Happily Married for 3 1/2 years. Preggo w/ #1, EDD: 10/27/10. Momma to Oliver (pup)
#2 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Banned

I feel for you mama! My DD was breech until the day of her scheduled version. Luckily, she had somehow flipped without me feeling it in the 12 hours between our midwife appt and going to the hospital. Anyways, between 34-37 weeks, I swam, did somersaults in the pool, Webster and moxibustion. I also had a very honest conversation with her in the bath each night while DH had a stern one with her in bed ;0)
While, I'm sure that all of those things helped in their own ways, I think what was also crucial was surrendering to the possibility that she might not turn and trust that we'd still be ok. Now that I'm a parent, I am challenged daily to surrender control...
Best of luck! It is possible!!! Keep me posted.
#3 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM

My baby was transverse at 35 weeks (had been for awhile) and we had a sono at 36 weeks to discuss scheduling a version at 37 weeks if necessary. Thankfully, she was head down so we didn't have to. She flipped sometime in between 35-36 weeks. Just wanted to give you hope that you still have time.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#4 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 AM

When I went through my childbirth education course the instructor talked about the fact that there are chiropractors that work exclusively with pregnant women and do small adjustments that encourage the baby to go into the head down position. I know of one that a lot of mamas in CA have used and have had success. I would check to see if there are a few in your area. Hopefully baby will just decide to flip on his own though.

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#5 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like you're doing everything you can. There's still time for him to turn, here's hoping that he does!
#6 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM

There is a website that might help called spinning babies.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#7 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM

My twin A turned at 33 weeks from breech to vertex. There is still time. It did help (for me) to accept that the babies were in charge of how they are born. It seemed like not to much after that, baby a flipped.

I did do chiropractor, inversions, playing music down low, cat/cows -- tons of them, polar bears, visualization... oh and we did go to busch gardens. I think walking up tons of hills and just being leaned forward all day did something too.

Good luck to you. I know its hard not to worry but I know for me when I kind of stopped worrying about it, is when baby turned.
#8 of 44 Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM

I'm in the same boat. Had an U/S today that revealed that baby is still breech at 34 weeks...i'm a little concerned about it, but i'm doing my best to trust that baby will turn. today i tried a cold pack up top and light and music down low. i also tried some inversions and took a warm bath. i did some puppy stretches while in the tub. soon i'll make an appt with accupuncturist, then a chiropracter. the MW said we'd talk ECV at the next appt if baby hasn't switched by then. my DH talked to a woman at work who had a version. she said it was more painful than labor. let's hope we can both avoid it.

if you find something that works for you, please share and i will do the same.
#9 of 44 Old 09-11-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the tips and advice! i felt much better after reading your ocmments. i think many of you are right....time to let go and let the baby turn when he is ready. my dh thinks all these techniques and tools give me false hope that i can somehow make the baby turn, like i have the control.

i have relinquished the control to the baby and will just to some things here and there - swim, chiro, accupuncture and see what happens.

october mama - yes, i will keep you posted. i have my 4th chiro (webster) on tuesday and then u/s on friday morning to see if he turned. if he didn't turn i do my first accupuncture that afternoon... i am also unsure about that version technique and a bit scared, so let's assume we won't get to that point! yes, please also let me know if anything you do helps and if your little one turns! meanwhile, let's both just relax and know that they will turn when they are ready.

Me: 31 y/o, DH: 32 y/o - Happily Married for 3 1/2 years. Preggo w/ #1, EDD: 10/27/10. Momma to Oliver (pup)
#10 of 44 Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 AM

thanks! i think i'm going to call about accupuncture tomorrow, then start making calls to chiropractors. i've been trying the home stuff all weekend, but i don't really know how much/how often i should bother with it. i figure if i'm just sitting here, i might as well shine a flashlight at the lower portion of my belly and hope the baby is curious enough to check it out. i'm especially nervous because this is my first, and i don't know if i'd find an OB/MW willing to help a FTM deliver a breech baby. it's so annoying that no one does that anymore. my gram had three breech babies and everything was fine. docs just aren't willing to put the training in anymore. blah...sorry, rant over!
#11 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 PM

A friend of a friend just had a successful aversion done - guess there is only one ob in our town who will do it. Emotionally it was much more difficult for her than physically as the baby's hb took a bit to be heard again. She went on to have a great delivery.

Wishing you lots of luck!

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#12 of 44 Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I have not had any issues with my babies being breech but when I asked my Dr last week(34wks) if the baby was head down she said "at this point it really doesn't matter so I don't even check. The baby could be head down and flip tomorrow so I wait till later to check". Just thought that might help!

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#13 of 44 Old 09-16-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm 35 weeks today and just found out today that my little one is breech! Baby was head down for WEEKS but must have gotten bored or sick of head rushes because Baby turned. Grrrrrr. I'm also going to do everything I can to encourage Baby to turn, but also have decided not to fight. My MW said the best thing I can do is relax and let go.... "Woooosaaaa". I'm going to have my husband lay hands on my belly and pray and really the rest is up to God and Baby.

I'll report back after my chiro appt and the moxibustion.

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#14 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 12:02 AM

i had my first chiro appt a couple days ago. i don't know if it will help the babe turn, but i had no back pain that night...so that's something. i go back on monday and i also have an acupuncture appt on monday. i did the breech tilt for a bit this evening. it's impossible to get into without help, thank god for DH.
#15 of 44 Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 AM

Pulsatilla..I think it is 30x 4 times daily, but check with a homeopath and get good quality homeopathics if possible.

Flash light from the fundus to the Pubis in a darkened room... repeat..
This one cracks me up, but I know someone it has worked for.. vibrator at the fundus .. LOL
Diving down or underwater inversions along with the breast stroke with frog kick
Rebozo
#16 of 44 Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Stellamia - welcome to the breech club. it sucks, but we are all trying to get them to turn and staying positive! check out spinningbabies.com too. I agree with your MW, do not stress about it. all we can do is what we can and it's up to them. we are exactly the same - 35 weeks here too.

Happythistel- It was nice to hear that someone had success /w their version!

Here's what happened on Friday at my OB appt: DEVASTATING!!!!

We go into exam room...OB starts feeling on my belly...
OB, "Your baby turned head down!"
Me, "Yea!!!! R u sure? Bc I will stop my chiro and acupunture if he really is head down. So, r u sure?"
OB, "I AM the doctor. Here's his head right down here. "
Me, "Do ultrasound to be sure...."
Walk into u/sound room and puts probe on my belly:
OB, "Oops. I'm wrong. Still breech."
DEVASTATION!!! I guess momma knows best, Doc!

Octobermama- how did your appts go today? i also had an acupuncture and chiro both today. I've had about 5 or 6 chiros so far and today was my 2nd acupunture. I go back to acupuncture tomorrow and Thursday again. it's uncomfortable but am doing it anyway! my next OB appt is Thursday afternoon for the 36 ultrasound and measurement. so i will get to see then if he turned. how many weeks are you now?

My plan will be to continue acupunture and chiro until the version (which would be just under 2 weeks from now at 37 weeks). I'm a bit scared to have it done but also want to know i've tried everything possible to get my vaginal birth....then if that doesn't work the C-section is scheduled for 39 weeks. So, i guess he has 2 weeks to still turn on his own after the version if it's unsuccessful. I believe they do an u/s right before the version to make sure he hasn't turned...

Still swimming like others mentioned (breast stroke, floating on belly), husband talking to him down low. Some inversion positions too. But most of all just trying to "let go" bc it's up to the baby to turn. Even if I don't get the vaginal birth, the most important thing is that he is healthy!

Please let us know if your babe turns and if you know why! Stay positive!

#17 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 AM

I ended up canceling my appt for acu/moxibustion because I found out my ins. will cover it if I have a Dr's referral. I put in a request for the referral but never heard back. However, I *think* Baby may have turned (I did handstands and somersaults in the pool and tons of inversion poses). I'm 36 weeks and have an U/S tomorrow morning. They're doing the version afterwards if Baby is still breech (my baby is big so they want to attempt it sooner and also I have a lot of fluid right now and they said that's a big plus).

I'm REALLY praying that Baby is vertex all on it's own but if not, turn that baby!!! I'll do whatever I safely can to have a vaginal delivery.

If Baby doesn't turn, I'll also be having a c-section. I too keep focusing on the most important aspect of all of this, a healthy baby!! In the end, that totally eclipises how the baby came into the world.

Please do pray for me though... DH can't get out of work tomorrow so I'll be there alone and IF I need the version, my Mom will come be with me but she's a very nervous person and I'm worried she may not handle it well.....

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#18 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 AM

i had my latest OB appt yesterday and baby is still breech. i wasn't feeling the chiro so i cancelled the rest of my appts with him, i love the acupuncture, though, i went back yesterday. if nothing else, i find it relaxing. i have my version scheduled for monday; i'll be 2 days shy of 37 weeks. i wish i could see the acupuncturist beforehand, but the version is scheduled for first thing in the morning. please hope and pray that the version is successful and does not cause fetal distress or early labor. i'll also most likely have a C/S if the baby does not turn, but i don't want to schedule it. i would much prefer to have labor start then go in for the section. i'll feel better about it that way. but like everyone else, i'm trying to focus on the fact that my baby is healthy and in the long run, that's all that matters.
#19 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Good luck, mama! Drink loads of water and rest up.
Hugs!
#20 of 44 Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM

My bub was breech this whole time, she turned head down 4 days before my due date. Anything is possible, any time.
#21 of 44 Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Have you tried a different chiro? It might be worth it to try a different chiro before your version. Good luck!

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#22 of 44 Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 PM

if the version doesn't work, i'll try a new chiro. should i look for one certified in the webster techinique, or just a reputable one?
#23 of 44 Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 PM

well, the version didn't work. i went back to acupuncture today, and i'm going to call a new chiro that my sister's MW recommended and see the acupuncturist again on friday.
#24 of 44 Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

OctoberMama - I so sorry the version did not work. I am sure it was very disappointing, but I was glad to read that you are still staying positive and continuing with your other methods. Did they use any type of anasthesia- was it spinal or epidural? Or other medication to help you relax? How long did they try for? What were your amniotic fluid levels? Please disregard these questions if it's too much for you.

I would also recommend trying a different chiro and definitely make sure they are not only certified in Webster, but have been doing it for at least a year. I agree w/ the MW, keep seeing the acupunturist, especially if you like it. Have you been trying anything else - swimming breast stroke, pelvic tilts, inversions (pillows under butt), music or talking to baby down low, cold pack on baby's head, etc.?

I am making all the suggestions I've heard may help, but nothing has worked for me so far! I went to acupunture today and another chiro yesterday. I see OB on Thursday again to see if he turned (I can tell he has not turned though). He will schedule the version for early next week. My doula will come with me along w/ my husband. I plan to use my hypnosis to relax.

My doula thinks my baby might not be going headdown bc of my fear to give birth!!! She's coming over today to start working on my fear. She may be right bc I am so scared to give birth, but I have also made huge gains to overcome this fear already. I took hypnobabies and am fighting hard for my vaginal birth so I feel like I can't be that scared....

WithoutWax's post that her baby turned at the last minute is positive!

Stellamia- Did your baby turn as shown on u/s at your appt the other day? If not, how was the version? Hoping he turned!!!!

Hoping our babies turn....

#25 of 44 Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingtobemomma View Post
OctoberMama - Did they use any type of anasthesia- was it spinal or epidural? Or other medication to help you relax? How long did they try for? What were your amniotic fluid levels? Please disregard these questions if it's too much for you.

I would also recommend trying a different chiro and definitely make sure they are not only certified in Webster, but have been doing it for at least a year. I agree w/ the MW, keep seeing the acupunturist, especially if you like it. Have you been trying anything else - swimming breast stroke, pelvic tilts, inversions (pillows under butt), music or talking to baby down low, cold pack on baby's head, etc.?

I am making all the suggestions I've heard may help, but nothing has worked for me so far! I went to acupunture today and another chiro yesterday. I see OB on Thursday again to see if he turned (I can tell he has not turned though). He will schedule the version for early next week. My doula will come with me along w/ my husband. I plan to use my hypnosis to relax.
Hoping: my fluid levels were normal. they won't try it if there's not enough. i don't know about if there's too much. no pain meds...they gave me turbutaline (sp?) to relax my uterine muscles. they put an IV in just case they needed to rush me to surgery. they did an NST and ultrasound beforehand to make sure baby was still breech and strong enough to handle the version. they tried for about 10 minutes. they tried to forward roll the baby twice and then stopped to check the heartrate and position. they almost had it, then the LO popped right back up (which makes me think something physical might be keeping him or her in this position). then they tried a backward roll, but it was a no go. my DH was there, but there was no room for him around the bed, the nurse held my hand the whole time. it was pretty uncomfortable. Between that and the disappointment of it not working...I was a sobbing mess the second they said they were done trying.

I'm trying to stay positive and recognize that a C/S isn't the worst thing in the world. In the long run, all that matters is that I have a healthy baby and if that means letting go of my picture of a perfect natural birth, then so be it.

i've tried all the other things you mentioned too, except swimming b/c I don't have easy access to a pool.

I've been trying to think about whether or not I have fear or nervousness or anything emotional that could be inhibiting the baby, but I can't think of anything. I'm going to go back to yoga on saturday, and try to relax as much as i can.
#26 of 44 Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM

I'm sorry you are both are still going through this! Sending turn, baby, turn vibes your way!

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#27 of 44 Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM

How far away are you from Boston? I see a chiro/craniopath who has had HUGE success with Webster technique. In fact, he learned/worked with Webster back in the day.
I just wish I found him before my second one was born breech.

Chiros and craniopaths have different skill levels - a good one can do amazing things.

http://www.healthcare.com/profile/martin-g-rosen/

eta: if he is not plausible, it might be worth it to call the office and get a rec from them. I heard him give recs before. If you do that, let me know, and I will give you my real name, always helps to have a connection.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#28 of 44 Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM

I had a version. It was no where near as uncomfortable as I was told. If you are planning on having an natural childbirth, this is cake. I had a little bruising on the skin on my belly, but other than that it felt like (I hate to say this, but I dont know another way to convey what im trying to say. If someone knows another term, please let me know.) someone was giving me an "indian sunburn". The whole thing only took about 90 seconds. I had 2 OB's doing it together. 4 hands total, so that may have sped it up a bit.

We tried pretty much everything listed on www.spinningbabies.com , with no luck. I drew on the outside of my belly and talked to the baby and hung upside down with clothespins on my toes. I know its stressful mama, but hang in there.

That being said, my baby was born 49 hours after my version was complete. Im pretty sure the version helped to kick off labor. I think she just got in the head down position, and was like "Ok, time to come out". Its great to look at those ultrasound pics from the morning of the version, and the the pics from the day she was born. Most people dont get pics three days apart. (makes you feel better about all the extra ultrasounds you have to get)

Good luck, and feel free to pm me with any questions you may have about the procedure.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#29 of 44 Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 PM

i guess it's different for everyone because i found it pretty uncomfortable and it was much longer than 90 seconds.
#30 of 44 Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 PM

In researching natural induction techniques, I came across a lot of homeopathic suggestions that pulsatilla could help turn babies. Pulstatilla is pretty good stuff (IMO) anyway and I'm not sure how it could hurt...just throwing that out there...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page