Something Good - Daily Positivities to Get us Through! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

I have no idea how many of you read my blog, but I thought that my newest "end of pregnancy resolution" might be a positive exercise for a bunch of us to participate in, if you feel so inclined. I'll sum up the idea (cross-posted from my blog!):

I've (just now!) made an end-of-pregnancy resolution, in an attempt to try to force myself to enjoy these last days. Despite chronic pain and being SO OVER working full-time while hugely pregnant, I've decided I'd return to the daily habit that I believe made this whole pregnancy possible: a daily "Something Good."

As some of you may recall, I started reflecting on one good thing a day over at the other blog as a sort of new year's resolution. What many don't know is that we had been trying to conceive for about 10 months at that point... I was negative, miserable, and at the end of my rope, and needed something positive to bring my spirits back up, increase my positive energy, and get my head into a good place for continuing our journey to the conception of little CJ.

I have to say, it seems the positivity and daily affirmations really helped. I got pregnant that very month.

Unfortunately, negativity has begun to creep in again, and you know what? Screw that! I won't let the crappy parts of being 38 weeks pregnant overtake the great parts of being 38 weeks pregnant! It's ironic... back in late December/early January, I was obsessed with how much NOT being pregnant sucked; and lately, I've been overcome with negativity about how much being in the final weeks of pregnancy can suck. This type of internal hypocrisy is entirely unacceptable.

So... feel free to add your own "Something Good" to this thread daily (or whenever the mood strikes you" to help keep your spirits up in these final days and weeks! I'm really hoping it will help me, and I wish the same for all my fellow soon-to-be mamas and papas!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

My first "Something Good:"

Despite my ginormous belly, there is still a waist hiding in there somewhere. As has been true throughout my pregnancy, this can be seen when taking a gander at yours truly from behind.

Being 38 weeks pregnant, but still having a (sort of) figure - even if it's only visible from behind - is Something Good.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:05 PM

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea. I made a personal resolution on Saturday to be positive .. I was simply miserable and in an awful mood on Friday and feeling so sorry for myself. What?! This is my last and final pregnancy, it wasn't even supposed to happen and I should be so thankful that I've got a healthy boy in there - this is a BLESSING and I totally needed an attitude adjustment!!

So I will certainly participate!

My "something good" for the day:

I am healthier than I was pre-pregnancy .. I have been eating so well for months, have only gained 18 pounds and that is off of wholesome, local foods. I've been doing yoga and excercise on a regular basis and it shows. So there is a good chance I will end up in better physical shape after Gavin comes than before. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and proud of myself for the effort I've put into my nutrition during this pregnancy.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I am healthier than I was pre-pregnancy .. I have been eating so well for months, have only gained 18 pounds and that is off of wholesome, local foods. I've been doing yoga and excercise on a regular basis and it shows. So there is a good chance I will end up in better physical shape after Gavin comes than before. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and proud of myself for the effort I've put into my nutrition during this pregnancy.
Great job, mama! That is definitely Something Good, and truly commendable! It's so easy to "let yourself go" during pregnancy. I'm super proud of you!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My something good for the day is that I have ENERGY! I haven't had energy all week but I've already completed 3 irritating tasks for the day! Though the tasks were small I still feel it's an achievement and one more thing I can check off my mental list!

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Great idea!

I was able to lay down for a nap today, I just made a yummy lunch and I think I'm having a "good" foot day.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Pretty green toenails after a nice relaxing pedicure

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Zantac. It's my new higher power.

(I promise to come up with something more profound tomorrow!)

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, dh is FINALLY painting our bedroom (where the baby will be living) which is making me very happy
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM

This is a great idea!

I have always had lopsided breasts. Lefty has always been about a cup size smaller than righty. Even while breastfeeding DD. Well it seems this pregnancy has evened them out!

So my Something Good is both my breasts are the same size.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Only a few more weeks to use the "But I'm pregnant!" card! Milk it while you can!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM

The weather is beautiful, cool and comfortable and sunny. It was great to watch the children on the playground this afternoon while I chatted with another mom.

Great idea! I totally need to do this because lately the "feel like crap all the time/ massive stress from work" thing has gotten to me.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM

I (think) I successfully applied for my maternity benefits today! It feels good to cross something off my list!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 PM

My favorite end of pregnancy positive thought:

It is so very easy to keep the baby happy right now. She's safe and comfy, always fed and always at the right temperature, and doesn't poop her pants yet!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 AM

i'm enjoying my belly being all "cute and round" with people looking at it adoringly.... soon it'll be a giant empty sack which i have to tuck into my jeans

the leaves on all the trees/woodland around my house are starting to turn red gold and orange along with the still-lush green. it's looking beautiful and by the time baby is here it'll be lovely to sit and nurse her while looking out at autumn my favourite season

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Corban's Mom, fall is my favorite time of year too - it's still SO HOT here, but like you, I'm also looking forward to cooler weather and nursing a little one watching the fall leaves change. What a happy thought, thank you.

My positive thought for the day - this baby is full term next week. As uncomfortable as I am, that was one of my major goals this pregnancy - no premature baby. And we are almost there!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM

My positive thought for the day:

I realized yesterday that the baby responds when DD talks to him. Besides being precious, I'm hoping it means they have a strong connection already.
Also this morning he woke up and started kicking when DH got home from work (probably a coinidence, but I thought it was cute).

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 AM

np misty - this time hopefully you'll be having a much easier time nursing too! congrats on making it to the full term club.... and welcome to waiting hehe

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I love reading other people's positive thoughts; even when they're not my own, they're making my nod my head in agreement and fueling me with additional positivity! So, thanks!

Today's installment of Something Good:

Yesterday I finally made a decision about when my absolute last day(s) of work would be. Next (!) Friday will be my last day in the office, and I'll work from home 10/4, 10/5, and 10/6 to finish out the pay period if CJ doesn't come by her due date of 10/4.

Although many people STILL can't believe I'm planning to work 'till/past my due date, it feels good to have finally picked a stop date and to have a plan! Previously I was just saying "I'll work till I go into labor."

Being type-A and trying to have that be my "plan" was not going so well. Lol.

Solution reached. Something Good.

(plus, NEXT FRIDAY is REALLY SOON!!!)

Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Lydzies! You read my mind! I totally had a plan to come here this morning and post a "positivity thread".....so great!

My Good Thing today......my wonderful DH took some beautiful maternity photos of me this weekend, they turned out great.....stay tuned

yay for good positive thoughts and actions!

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Yay for the plan on when to stop work-- I know I felt better when I figured that out.
This is the week I start cutting back my schedule (I do home visits as a social worker and it has not been a good fit with pregnancy). I realized today how much less stressed I already feel.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
It is so very easy to keep the baby happy right now. She's safe and comfy, always fed and always at the right temperature, and doesn't poop her pants yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by corban's mum View Post
i'm enjoying my belly being all "cute and round" with people looking at it adoringly.... soon it'll be a giant empty sack which i have to tuck into my jeans
They stole mine!!!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 PM

I confess I like to whine; I find it kind of therapeutic. But I like to keep a good balance of positive with negative, too.

So on that note:

I can still take the stairs at work. A couple of colleagues have expressed surprise when I say I'm due at the end of October, saying they expected me to say December. Hey, I'll take that.

I still LOVE LOVE LOVE to feel my baby move (even though those kicks can get pretty intense these days). She was vertex for my last appointment after being breech at the one before that.

I also love fall, and the changing colours, crisper weather and the fact that by the time my ankles really swell, at least it will be pants season!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheashea View Post
by the time my ankles really swell, at least it will be pants season!
Love that one!!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM

My positive for the day -

I was able to do a full shopping trip to Costco yesterday and fully stock our pantry and freezer. May not be homemade meals, but I've got healthy snacks and frozen stuff to make due after baby gets here. And I actually made it through the shopping trip without too much complaining to dh!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM

A stocked freezer and pantry sounds great!

It's cool and rainy here today (at least this morning) and I have pumpkin muffins baking in the oven. They smell delicious and I can't wait to devour one.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM

Well, I agree with Jesse Bird about the Zantac. I do not think I could make it without it, and I am so grateful that it exists. And, I am happy to be nearing the end of a very difficult pregnancy - very excited to be almost done! I'm proud of myself for getting through it and still being able to care for my kids and my home (sort of) and myself and the dogs.... anyway, I like this thread. Even though I don't sound super positive, it helps to hear what you all have to say. I just need a little reminder of the good stuff.

Tara
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mine for today:

I had my 38 week midwife appointment, and heard that amazing sound again... the sound of our daughter's heartbeat. I know it won't be long before I won't hear that lovely little "gallop" inside my belly anymore, so I'm going to enjoy these last few opportunities!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM

I hit 37 weeks today! Babe officially made it to full term!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

kallyn - yay for full term babes!

My Something Good for today (x-posted from my blog):

Okay, so watch how I'm going to turn something not-so-good into Something Good.

I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for, oh... three weeks? I think that sounds about right. Besides the normal pregnancy stuff like there not being enough room in the bed for two (three!) people, not being able to breathe, tossing and turning (and therefore keeping Kate up), and having to get up a million times to pee, I mostly can't sleep in the bed because I can't turn over from side to side or get in and out of the bed without being in excruciating pain because of my SPD.

I know you're wondering how this is going to round the bend into positivity. Wait for it.

So, we bought this FANTASTIC glider for the nursery over the summer. Really comfy, and I love that it not only functions as a glider, but also reclines. Which means it doesn't need an ottoman (and doesn't take up as much space).

Well, turns out that it was a REALLY good purchase, because it's where I've been sleeping since I realized a bed just wasn't going to work for me anymore.

Now, before you go saying that sleeping in a recliner doesn't sounds like Something Good in the least, let me tell you - there are nights when I sleep so well in that chair that I DON'T EVEN GET UP TO PEE. Anyone who has ever been nine months pregnant, or partnered to someone who has been nine months pregnant, understands how incredible that is. And, I don't have pelvic pain while I sleep, because rolling over isn't an option. AND, I now know that I can easily sleep in the nursery if I ever need to in the future, whether it be CJ and I taking a nap after a nursing session, or transitioning her into her crib.

Last night, I slept soundly from 11:00 p.m. until 6:20 a.m.

A good night's sleep at 38 weeks and change is Something Good!

User Tag List