Natural Induction: EPO, Semen, Red Wine, and Tea!!! - Mothering Forums

Natural Induction: EPO, Semen, Red Wine, and Tea!!!

SouthernBette's Avatar SouthernBette (TS)
11:10 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 28
09-21-2010 | Posts: 226
Let's hear your success with natural induction tips, ladies!

I'll be 39 weeks on Friday, and I'm due (starting tomorrow) in NINE DAYS!

It is still hot as hell in the dirty South--heat index at 100--and I am beyond ready to meet this little girl. I'm still (thankfully) having a nice orgasm a few days a week, and I recently started evening primrose oil, but I've only taken it orally thus far. The MW said I was 60% effaced at my last appointment but only 1 cm dilated. I also don't feel as if the baby has really dropped, though she is head down and ready to go. I get regular (and pretty powerful) BH every afternoon/evening, but there has been no change that I can discern in my discharge. Now that things are all tied up and ready at work, I would be pleased to go into labor before I finish typing this message.

I know that this is my first baby, and chances are that I'll go over, but is it ridiculous that I'm crossing my fingers for a full moon birth on Thursday?
sheashea's Avatar sheashea
11:25 PM Liked: 13
#2 of 28
09-21-2010 | Posts: 238
Last time, I tried all of the above, plus spicy food and long walks (more like long waddles). Baby didn't move. Eventually I tried two tablespoons of castor oil with a chaser of orange juice because I was getting uncomfortably close to a hospital induction (9 days past due date.) Worked like a charm and was very *ahem* cleansing before active labour.
11:29 PM Liked: 0
#3 of 28
09-21-2010 | Posts: 226
Yeah, I never stopped eating the super spicy food that I love, and I take the several flights of stairs to my office daily. I try to keep moving in hopes that gravity will win out in the end.

My mother went 42 weeks with me, and I am soooo fearful that this will be the case. That castor oil idea will likely be the method I try if I get to the weekend after my due date. It doesn't sound pleasant but neither does being pregnant for several more weeks!
sheashea's Avatar sheashea
11:32 PM Liked: 13
#4 of 28
09-21-2010 | Posts: 238
I think there's something to that. My mother went to 42 weeks with me as well.
CherryBomb's Avatar CherryBomb
11:49 PM Liked: 83
#5 of 28
09-21-2010 | Posts: 7,885
Ha, well sadly, with my last one I even tried castor oil, and that didn't work! So I'm a natural induction failure I did my RRL and EPO religiously, too, and of course sex which is dh's favorite part Oh, and a few stretch and sweeps at the OB's office. This time i think I've drank, um, two cups of RRL the whole pregnancy. I have been taking EPO when I can remember it...I've pretty much given up on natural induction methods

I was 10 days over last time when she was FINALLY born, btw
12:03 AM Liked: 0
#6 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 226
Ah, Cherry, don't tell me that! Haha... I know I should be more patient, but damn I'm hot and round.
outlier's Avatar outlier
01:29 AM Liked: 117
#7 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 523
I'm worried I'm going to go unacceptably late as well. There was a thread in the general pregnancy forum about fish oil being used to prolong gestation, so I stopped taking my DHA supplement this past weekend. Might be something to consider if you're taking one.
MamaFern's Avatar MamaFern
02:42 AM Liked: 12
#8 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 7,543
my last two were both 16 days over.. i tried most of those things on the list for my first DD, including the labor cocktail (castor & lemon verbena oil) and the first time it didn't do anything, a few days later i did it again and out she came in 4 swift hours. with my 2nd DD i just threatened Castor oil & lemon verbena on the eve of 42 weeks and i went into labor that night naturally. she was born the next day..

im hoping to get this one coming along sooner than my last 2.. but you never know. my first was 39 + 1 and came all on his own
happythistle's Avatar happythistle
03:07 PM Liked: 0
#9 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 309
Castor oil is high on my list to try this time. Last time, we drove over the mountains as I heard change in elevation would bring on labor- not sure if that's what did it with DS but I did go into labor the next day. I'm getting to the point where I will try it all!
03:58 PM Liked: 83
#10 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBette View Post
Ah, Cherry, don't tell me that! Haha... I know I should be more patient, but damn I'm hot and round.
Sorry! Who knows, maybe it will work for you I feel ya, I'll be 38 weeks on Saturday and I already feel DONE! Blah.
gottecat's Avatar gottecat
04:38 PM Liked: 0
#11 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 830
hmm thats good to know about the fish oil! I guess I will stop taking mine!
MaerynPearl's Avatar MaerynPearl
04:41 PM Liked: 52
#12 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 14,501
at just before 41 weeks I did -

Black cohosh
castor oil
wine
bath
sex
epo
RRL tea

and I am now 41w1d.

If your baby isnt ready to come, those things really dont work. Unfortunately. Because now its looking like Ill end up an October mommy.
Ashley_R's Avatar Ashley_R
04:43 PM Liked: 0
#13 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 204
Try a massage. I had one 11 days before DD was due and went into labor the next morning, and that was without the pressure points being touched. I think it just relaxed things enough. One with the pressure points being massaged might do wonders.
hyz's Avatar hyz
04:50 PM Liked: 0
#14 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 680
I tend to be skeptical about any of the induction methods--I mean, nobody stays pregnant forever, and if you do all of that stuff and then the baby is finally born at 41 or 42 or 43 weeks, it doesn't mean that any of those things *caused* you to go into labor, ykwim?

BUT, that said, my DD was born at 41 weeks, and my OB started threatening induction if I went past 40 weeks AT ALL, so I tried most of the things listed above (except EPO and castor oil) starting at 39 weeks. Can't hurt to try, right? And when I get a little closer to my EDD, I'll probably start doing them again, including EPO this time (and castor oil if I get too close to a threatened induction). But I see it more as a comfort measure for myself--doing whatever I can to feel like I have some control over a process that really, honestly, I have very little control over. In that respect, I think the best thing you could possibly do for your peace of mind is to EXPECT to go to 41+ weeks, resign yourself to it and embrace it, and then you'll be pleasantly surprised if baby comes earlier!
seekingtruth's Avatar seekingtruth
05:14 PM Liked: 0
#15 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 313
Though I totally agree with SouthernBette, a good friend of mine's midwife suggests injesting semen orally pretty regularly for a few hours! It worked for her twice, once a week before her edd and for the next child, when she remembered the "trick", a week after. But who knows, maybe it was just her time!
MaerynPearl's Avatar MaerynPearl
05:53 PM Liked: 52
#16 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 14,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingtruth View Post
Though I totally agree with SouthernBette, a good friend of mine's midwife suggests injesting semen orally pretty regularly for a few hours! It worked for her twice, once a week before her edd and for the next child, when she remembered the "trick", a week after. But who knows, maybe it was just her time!
heh... i can just see my hubby trying to bribe my midwife into suggesting that...
oliversmom7213's Avatar oliversmom7213
07:55 PM Liked: 0
#17 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 127
How does ingesting it help? I understand how it works when ejaculated into the vagina, but ingesting it???? Your stomach acid would break it down and the hormones wouldn't even work. Unless the baby just says "screw this, this is sick" and decides to bolt from you just so they don't have to "eat" it as well. I'm not even going to tell DH about this b.c he would be allllllll over it. I can just hear him, "worth a try don't you think". ummm no.
outlier's Avatar outlier
08:12 PM Liked: 117
#18 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmom7213 View Post
How does ingesting it help? I understand how it works when ejaculated into the vagina, but ingesting it???? Your stomach acid would break it down and the hormones wouldn't even work. Unless the baby just says "screw this, this is sick" and decides to bolt from you just so they don't have to "eat" it as well. I'm not even going to tell DH about this b.c he would be allllllll over it. I can just hear him, "worth a try don't you think". ummm no.
Oh man, I'm crying now. This is hysterical!
kallyn's Avatar kallyn
09:53 PM Liked: 14
#19 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 1,508
Omg I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts!
11:12 PM Liked: 0
#20 of 28
09-22-2010 | Posts: 226
HYZ: Great advice about accepting it! I think you are right. I am such a control freak, and I just can't plan/control any of this.

Outlier: I had never heard about the fish oil prolonging gestation, and I've been taking DHA and fish oil supplements since the beginning, so I'm totally screwed if this is true!

Seekingtruth: I have heard that tip about the semen. Shhhh... Don't tell DH! I can handle insemination, but there will be no injesting from this girl.

Then again, ask me in three more weeks!
09:39 AM Liked: 83
#21 of 28
09-23-2010 | Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmom7213 View Post

mojobot2000's Avatar mojobot2000
10:56 PM Liked: 0
#22 of 28
09-23-2010 | Posts: 113
FWIW, with my first I used sex + <ahem> "ingested" semen, red raspberry leaf tea (only started it the last few weeks, and drank some serious strong brews when I decided I was "ready"), and exercise with great results. DD was born the day before her due date--wouldn't necessarily say that I successfully "induced" labor, but it did go amazingly quickly! I started losing mucous plug 8 hours after starting "the regimen," dilated without contractions for the next few days, then woke up in transition in the middle of the night and pushed the baby out 3 hours later. At my midwife's suggestion, I also took a big shot of vodka AND had a glass of wine, but that was to help me sleep after I lost the plug and was too excited to wind down. I think it's possible that without the sex, tea, and walking, my weird pre-labor would have taken a lot longer and I might have given birth a week or so later than I did.

This time around I'm adding EPO and starting both that and RRL tea now. (I'm almost 36 weeks.) I'll start pestering my husband when I hit 37 or 38 weeks. Baby will come when baby is ready, but I'm darn sure going to make it as easy as possible for him to find his way out when he IS ready!
mojobot2000's Avatar mojobot2000
11:07 PM Liked: 0
#23 of 28
09-23-2010 | Posts: 113
Also, I never heard of fish oils delaying labor...I took a TON when PG with my first, and I credit them for her turning out so darn smart, and for me not getting a lick of PPD despite some risk factors. This time around I've actually been kind of worried because I haven't been taking as high a dose. (It does get expensive.)
Dirkey's Avatar Dirkey
11:25 PM Liked: 10
#24 of 28
09-23-2010 | Posts: 236
hee hee I've heard the ingested semen, the hubs knows that just not happening. lol
Well talk to me in a few weeks then I may be singing a different tune!!
Anyone doing nipple stimulation?
hotharmony's Avatar hotharmony
12:12 AM Liked: 0
#25 of 28
09-24-2010 | Posts: 783
Last time I started EPO at 35 weeks orally and vaginally at 37 weeks. I drink RRL tea all the way through pregnancy. When I hit 41 weeks with my son the doctor was talking induction and so I decided to take castor oil two tablespoons with a mcdonalds strawberry milkshake. I had him the next day.
outlier's Avatar outlier
12:19 AM Liked: 117
#26 of 28
09-24-2010 | Posts: 523
Here's the thread where I first read about fish oil and gestation length.

This abstract is from a study published in the Lancet that found taking fish oil in 3rd trimester is associated with longer gestation. I don't have access to the full article at the moment but should be able to get it tomorrow if anyone else wants to see it. I'll also look up this one.

SouthernBette, I've been taking DHA and fermented cod liver oil since well before I got pregnant, so if there is something to this, I'm sure I'm just as screwed as you are.
stellamia's Avatar stellamia
06:08 AM Liked: 11
#27 of 28
09-24-2010 | Posts: 304
My MW told me to stop taking fish oil by 35 weeks....

OK! I am a rare natural induction success story two times over!

Now, I am ALL for waiting for mother nature to do her work, but my fluid was on the "low side of normal" with DS1 and they estimated him at 9lbs so they didn't want me to wait. I was already 5 days past my DD when I did castor oil (he was born the next night). I also had a foley cathader, did shots of balsalmic vinegar, had sex and had a very gentle "semi' stripping of my membranes. I walked a LOT and then went into labor! It was a long labor but my beautiful 9lb 5oz boy was born at home and I wouldn't change a thing!

With DS2 it's a long complicated story but let's just say it was time for him to be born! I had my membranes stripped at 39 weeks and did castor oil. I walked the mall (air conditioning!!) that night with my sister for hours and started having strong contractions. Then I couldn't find my car in the parking lot so I walked around even MORE! Again, it was a LONG labor but my 8lb boy was born just as planned and it was wonderful!

I know more people who took castor oil and didn't go into labor than the other way around, but for me it seems to work. And I know that a lot of women think it's a no-no to strip membranes, but I really think there is a time and a place for it. For me, anything is better than a c-section so I was always all for anything that could encourage my baby to come before it came to that!

This time around my baby is breech (unless it turned which I'm praying for) and if he or she doesn't turn soon, it's a c-section for me (I'm 36 weeks). My MW doesn't deliver babies if she knows they're breech. If baby is vertex I plan on waiting as long as possible before interfering but you just never know.

Goodluck to all!

ETA: Both times I did the castor oil I'd already lost part of my mucous plug so things may have been starting up anyway....
BirthIsAwesome's Avatar BirthIsAwesome
09:18 AM Liked: 22
#28 of 28
09-24-2010 | Posts: 527
I'm definitely not doing it for "induction", just for general birth-prep and toning of my uterus. I've been drinking strong RRL tea (about 1 litre per day) during my whole third trimester and I will begin oral EPO and a homeopathic birth prep at 37 weeks (just a couple days away!). Dh and I have regular sex anyhow...so, that will probably not work with me I do have an appointment for a massage on my due date and hubby and I will be going to my favorite Indian restaurant for some spicy food. However, it's more so I have something to look forward to on my due date, since I probably won't have had the baby yet or be in labor. Plus, I want to be nice and relaxed when the waiting begins. And spicy food is purported not to work if you eat spicy food regularly anyway, which is the case with me. So yeah---doing a lot of stuff, but I'm really not expecting it to put me in labor

ETA: oh, and ladies, alcohol is actually a smooth muscle relaxant and is used to stop preterm labor. I wouldn't recommend red wine as an induction agent! Take it to help you sleep for prodromal labor
Reply Subscribe October 2010