Anyone else's DH having a stressful time right now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately this birth and my DH's work projects are coming together right now at a bad time and he has way too much work to do. I'm 38 weeks on Friday and he has been repeatedly over the last weeks burning the midnight oil staying up till 1 or even 3am and getting up at 6:30 with DD. I'm petrified he's going to be exhausted when this baby comes, but thankful we have hired a doula this time so at least I will be sure to have one rested support person. I know he feels terrible too and is so worried about everything, just trying to get the work done, but I need some help at home cause duh I'm 9 months pregnant and have a two year old. I've been holding down the fort pretty well so far (dinner and clean clothes are available, and all big baby prep was done by the beginning of this month as I planned) but I'm thinking of putting my foot down on the late nights once I hit 38 weeks on Friday.

DD1 came at 41w on the dot, but I've been having such strong nightly contractions that I keep thinking each night as I go to sleep I'll be waking up in 'real' labor. I try not to freak him out during the day at work with my symptoms but like last evening I had contractions for 2 hours, 10 minutes apart, radiating pain from my back to my front and lasting over a minute. Definitely different from previous ones (shorter, responsive to position, no pain), but I'm still not in labor as they fizzled overnight.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
hyz

Hmm, my DH *and* I are both having stressful times like that right now. I am more often the one staying up until 1 or 2 am with work and then getting back up at 5:30 or 6:30 with our 2yo DD, or to work some more. I'm trying to do baby prep on the weekends, but I have to work on the weekends, too. DH just finished a hugely stressful test about 2 weeks ago that caused him to be out of the house working or studying about 16 hours a day for over a month straight, leaving me largely as a "single" 8 month pregnant mom of a 2yo with a 60+ hour a week job. So, his worst time is now over, but he's been rather sick and run down since then, and still feels pressure to work 12+ hours a day. We have gotten very little baby prep done, and we are both exhausted.

It's stressful, and it kinda sucks, but it's life. We have a doula for the birth, too, but nobody postpartum. Our family will want to come up and visit after the baby is born, but honestly I expect them to be more of an added responsibility than real help, so we're going to try to make them wait to come until at least a few days after the birth. Love and adrenaline will pull us through, and it will be fine.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Sounds like my husband, working all kinds of freakin' hours, getting no sleep, having work overload constantly. Thankfully I'm not counting on him to be any support during my birth. I'm just hoping he's in town so he can care for our 2 and 5 yos (well they'll be 3 and 6 then). I'm 38 weeks today.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM

I've been on bedrest for 3 weeks now so DH has been pretty much a single parent to DS. He has been cleaning, shopping, cooking, washing, giving baths, taking and picking up ds at daycare and then cooking dinner as soon as he walks in. He has been awesome with not being resentful at me but I feel horrible. DS is waaaaay attached to daddy and so when everything is done DH can't even rest b.c ds wants to play. I try to do puzzles and read but that only lasts 10 mins with a two year old. I'm hoping they clear me friday although they have hinted at waiting until 37 weeks to release me so we will see. I just hope dh lasts that long and doesnt pass out from exhaustion.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingtruth View Post
I'm just hoping he's in town so he can care for our 2 and 5 yos (well they'll be 3 and 6 then). I'm 38 weeks today.
If I'm reading this right, you have two kids' birthdays coming up in the next two weeks, too?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Yep, DH's job is stressful and he is gone a lot. The good news is that he won't be flying 2 weeks before my due date. I was really worried that he would be out on a SAR case and that I'd have the baby without him.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheashea View Post
If I'm reading this right, you have two kids' birthdays coming up in the next two weeks, too?

Yup! Ds will be 6 on 9/26 and dd will be 3 on 10/12. I'm due 10/10.
You?

User Tag List