Would you travel by ferry at 38 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
FireWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in MA and am blessed to have inlaws who have a house on an island off of MA. It takes about 2-3 hours for me to get there, by car then bus then ferry. I have no concerns about schlepping myself and my boys. Nor do I have concerns about going into labor and having to travel back to my hospital during the day.

My concern is that I go into strong labor during the night and clearly can't make it onto the mainland by morning.

They have a small hospital and quite a few homebirth midwives (it's a rather crunchy place), but I don't know what the hospital is like.

I am a vbac so I have concerns regarding that and what they would "allow" me to do.

The thing is is that my mom has been living with me for 8 weeks and I REALLY NEED A BREAK from her. If I could just get a long weekend away, with my boys, with my inlaws - That would be heavenly. A chance to hang out by the water and do gentle hikes.

So what would you do??

(2nd baby was scheduled section, first baby was 13 postdates)

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
FireWithin is offline  
#2 of 4 Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 PM
 
EzzysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd check out the hospital VBAC policies, some are very strict. I probably wouldn't go other than maybe for a day trip out there and back as feasible. You could stay on the mainland in a hotel for a night or two? But without a backup plan, at 38 weeks that is a big risk of 'sick of your mom' necessitating a csection, which would just make her stick around longer eh? Can you send yiour mom to visit the inlaws? heh

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
EzzysMom is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
 
JessieBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm...I totally understand the need for a break from your mom and the ability to make the trip but that's a really tough call. Sounds like a wonderful place! What does your intuition tell you? Are your midwives familiar with the hospital there? I think that if I knew that the hospital could handle an emergency c-section, then I'd go without a second thought. If not, I'd want to know their back-up plans and decide from there. In the end, I probably wouldn't go.

Another factor to consider - I was present for my friend's birth on an island in BC. She lived on a small island with no medical services. By law, she had to pay a huge deposit to the ferry service as well as the ambulance service in order for them to be "on call" at all times for her after 36 weeks. Unfortunately, her planned homebirth required a transfer so the ambulance was needed as was waking up the ferry operators in the middle of the night in order to get to the hospital on another island. It wasn't urgent enough to require a helicopter but still it was quite an ordeal and it cost her a fortune because she didn't get the deposit back. I'm not sure how anyone would enforce this kind of requirement (perhaps her midwife insisted on compliance in order to care for her) but it makes me think that if the hospital where you're going isn't full service, there could be conditions on late-term preggos being on the island (as with flying, etc).

I really hope everything falls into place and you get the reassurance you need in order to go! Otherwise, that sounds like the sort of place I'd want to spend a babymoon - you could head over to relax soon after the birth.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
JessieBird is online now  
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 AM
 
Melly24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd check out the hospital's VBAC policies. If they are strict in requiring you to do certain things that you don't want, then I wouldn't go. Or get in contact with a homebirth midwife there and let her know you will be there and what her recommendations are.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Melly24 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off