Things better left unsaid.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Wow, you look more uncomfortable every time I see you!"

"Still getting bigger, huh?"

Add to the list, bonus points for snappy comebacks.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#2 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM

"you don't have to eat that dessert, you can just throw it out." Said to me last pg by my grandma.

caffix.gif

#3 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM

#4 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I actually got "you must be overdue" from a stranger at the library the other day! No snappy comeback, I just had to laugh.

I didn't mind that much because I've been worried that I'm too small. I'm measuring right on track but once again I'm all belly sticking straight out like a bullet and I feel like it looks too small to be full term. I must be delusional, but in a very good way!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM

What they SHOULD say:

"You're glowing!"

"Pregnancy is so beautiful!"

"You look great!"

"How are you feeling? May I help you with that?"

What they DO say:

"You're about to pop! That baby must be ready to crawl out of there by now!"

"Another month? I sure hope you make it!" *disbelieving stare*

"You're aaaallllllllllllllll belly! Are you sure you can drive with that thing?"

"What did you gain, 100 pounds?"

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#6 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 PM

I agree. There are definitely nicer things that COULD be said instead of what is said.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#7 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM

What I come back with:

"No, I'm not expecting - I think its just all the beer I've been drinking..." lol and then I wink so they know I'm kidding.

Actually I get "You are sure packing on the pounds. Maybe you should lay off some of that" in the cafeteria every day now because I played a mean trick on one of the workers there. He and I had a friendly, flirty rapport going on and I wanted to see how long I could go without telling him I was pregnant before he would finally break the cardinal rule and ask. lol He would usually tell me I look good, and then gradually it was a little harder and harder to sound sincere... I can see him looking at me trying to figure out "Is she...???" and I'm dying laughing at him behind his back because he's trying so hard not to be rude and ask... FINALLY at about 6 months he breaks down and asks, and I laugh and I'm like "yes, I'm pregnant, about 6 months" and he's like "Damn! When were you going to tell me???" "Never! Was having too much fun watching you wonder" lol

OMG pregnant ladies can be mean! So now every day he tells me I'm fat. And I deserve it. lol
#8 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM

have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....have you had the baby yet...are you in labour yet....

NO I HAVENT SO LEAVE ME ALONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE argh

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#9 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM

From my boss (who I'm good friends with):

"You look like a Sumo wrestler"

"MY GOD!!! You're HUGE!!!!"

DW calls my feet muffins and says she wants to eat them. They're not even that swollen.

From a cashier:

"Well, don't you look comfortable. HAHAHAHA!"

Oh I have a sorta nice one too (from my mom- today actually):

"You look a lot slimmer from the back than before you were pregnant". I guess that could be taken good OR bad.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#10 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM

I gained 52 lbs when I was pregnant. People asked me all the time if I was sure it wasn't twins. My DS was 10 lbs 5 oz.

It got to the point where I would tell people, "Watch out, I'm hungry. I might eat you next."

I was not a pleasant pregnant woman.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#11 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM

i have no problem seeing myself objectively and poking fun, but come on, where are the nice comments to balance it out?

i've heard all of the above plus, "wow, your feet are fat", "you sure that chair can hold you?" "you look like you're gonna burst".

and my husband--whatta gem this was: "so-and-so has gotten so big--no really, he's bigger than you." thx dear.

our culture sux and is so clueless w/ how it percieves pregnancy and this sacred time in a woman's life. i've always told women how beautiful and glowing they are...
#12 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

my preceptor told me last pregnancy (a midwife of all people) when i went in to have her do a gender scan, "wow, your face really filled out, but you've always needed to put on a little weight anyway". um, thx?

funny how pregnancy automatically qualifies a woman to be subject to people's observations.
#13 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
my preceptor told me last pregnancy (a midwife of all people) when i went in to have her do a gender scan, "wow, your face really filled out, but you've always needed to put on a little weight anyway". um, thx?

funny how pregnancy automatically qualifies a woman to be subject to people's observations.
When I was pregnant the first time, my MIL (whom I adore, but who can be a little tactless at times) made one too many fat jokes. They'd been going on for months and by the third trimester I was sick of it. Before I could stop myself I asked her how menopause was treating her these days. She didn't make any fat jokes after that.

During that pregnancy I also rudely retorted, "I'm pregnant--what's your excuse, Chubs?" but I only did that once and it was to a (fat) drunk guy at a party who was really mean and totally, completely deserved it.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#14 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ha!
'This is probably the last time you are going to be able to wear that shirt."
And this one, when I was only like 20-some weeks-- "Wow, your feet are already starting to swell, and you have months to go!" that was helpful.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#15 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Just yesterday, I went to get my nails done. A person in there told me how big I was. I told them that no, I was not big and the correct thing to say to a pregnant woman was how great they looked. They were kind of shocked.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#16 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today someone told me "you reallly look ready to have that baby!" I'm not sure if they meant I was huge or looked like i was in pain or what

I got the twins comments all the time with my other pregnancies, but not this time for some reason. With dd3 I was about 5 months and some lady at a LLL conference was all "Are you having twins?" I said no and she got snotty with me and said "Well I've had twins and I'm pretty sure you are." I was like well I've had two ultrasounds and they both showed ONE baby! Geeze.

With dd1 someone asked me when I was 40+ weeks if I was having twins and I burst into tears.
#17 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Yesterday, I was asked "Are you fat?" but it was by a 5-year-old, so I wasn't too offended.

Earlier in my pg, my MIL kept going on about how I must be having a girl because "girls make you ugly" and why did I think my face was so broken out? When I got home, I looked in a mirror and saw I had a few little pimples on my nose, but that was it. I thought I looked fine.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#18 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Yesterday, I was asked "Are you fat?" but it was by a 5-year-old, so I wasn't too offended.
One of the little girls in our preK class at our homeschool co-op kept staring and my belly. Finally she said "are you having a baby?" It was so cute lol!
#19 of 28 Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Add to that

"Wow, you really have a ways to go being that big!"

Yeah, if I wasn't already counting down the last 30 days incessently
wondering if can make it through.

"No wonder preganant women don't like their hair short during this time,
the face just plumps out."
#20 of 28 Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 PM

"I never gained more than 15 pounds with any of my pregnancies. So how much have you gained?"
#21 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM

I went to a Mabon festival last weekend and I got the "about ready to pop" comment around a dozen times. I stopped smiling back around time number 6. That is one of the phrases I HATE, HATE, HATE.

This weekend we went to a pumpkin farm and everybody had to commiserate with me about how miserable I must feel because of the heat. I honestly don't know what to say to that since I'm miserable in the heat when I'm NOT pregnant. :

Mostly I just have no interest in talking about my pregnancy/body/baby with complete strangers. If they're nice, though, I try to be nice even if I've had the exact same conversation half a dozen times already that day.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#22 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM

I get sort of the opposite comments, but they make me feel bad!

"You don't look uncomfortable yet - you must not be ready to have that baby, because you don't look like you're ready to crawl in a hole." -- so we're expected to look like crap before we can go into labor???

"Oh, you probably haven't had x, y, or z issue because you've gained so little weight!" Um...I've gained 42lbs! I'm not worried about it, but I always feel like I somehow make my pregnant friends (there are several of us all expecting right now) feel bad - I just carry weight "well" because I have a crazy long torso!

And I've had SPD/PGP and been on restricted activity/bedrest for the last 7 or so weeks. I've had my "fair" share of misery, but I'm in so much less pain and my activity is restricted SO MUCH less than with my first pregnancy that I'm finding it difficult to be miserable or super anxious for labor.

Plus this is my last pregnancy - I'm grateful that it wasn't as miserable as the first, and I know how much I missed the kicked and rolls after DS was born!

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#23 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Random individual....."Wow, you're not going to go into labor here are you?"

Me, look down at my belly then back at said individual. "If I do will you catch her for me?"

They think it's a funny joke but not so much if I reply with that one

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#24 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 09:50 PM

I just got the "You look like you're about to pop!" comment yesterday. Really not funny.

Earlier in the week, a mom who just had a baby a few weeks back told me, "you look great" which was sooooo nice to hear.
#25 of 28 Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 AM

#26 of 28 Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM

The cutest thing I've been asked was by one of my kindergarteners. . . "why'd you eat the baby?"

I hate the "you're about to pop" comment. "Just looking at you makes me uncomfortable", "are you having twins". Seriously. People just need to STFU.

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#27 of 28 Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

70+ year old lady at work gave me the best one ever last pregnancy...said in her best southern drawl:

"oh honey, you're just as fat as you can be, aren't ya?"

Seriously if she weren't pushing 80 and didn't have that sweet southern drawl, there'd have been an offer to go out to the parking lot after work...LOL

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#28 of 28 Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM

"I may be fat but I can always lose the weight. You're not getting any younger though, eh?"

(Sorry.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page