Older siblings and bringing baby home - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom will be watching DD at her house while we're at the hospital. When we bring home the baby should we:

A. Have my mom bring DD home and wait for us to get there
B. Pick her up on the way home
C. Have my mom bring DD back after we get home

I was thinking that A would be our best option that way she can welcome him into "her" home, instead of him having already set up shop when she gets there. What has worked out best for those of you that have done this before?

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#2 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 AM

ive not done it before but maybe A is the best plan, bring home a present for her and make a big fuss of her, let her help bring the babies things in from the car, sort of make it a "wow ur a big sister how special are you" kinda event

we've got some presents from the baby and a card for DS to say congratulations on becoming a big brother and we're letting him take a few days off school to hang out in bed with us all and spend the odd hour or two at the golf driving range at the end of our street with DH knocking out some balls if they feel like it.

im probably going overboard as DS actually can't wait to hold and love the baby, but ive got a sneaking suspicion that things may change when the reality of not being an only kicks in hehe

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corban's mum View Post
ive not done it before but maybe A is the best plan, bring home a present for her and make a big fuss of her, let her help bring the babies things in from the car, sort of make it a "wow ur a big sister how special are you" kinda event

we've got some presents from the baby and a card for DS to say congratulations on becoming a big brother and we're letting him take a few days off school to hang out in bed with us all and spend the odd hour or two at the golf driving range at the end of our street with DH knocking out some balls if they feel like it.

im probably going overboard as DS actually can't wait to hold and love the baby, but ive got a sneaking suspicion that things may change when the reality of not being an only kicks in hehe

I would go for option A. If you go home first, she might feel left out, like things happened and she was not included. If she is home first she will be on her "turf" and be able to welcome the new baby into her house and her family. Maybe you could have her be in charge of giving the baby a tour of the place, etc.

Whichever option you choose, I think it is a good idea to make a super-fuss about the older sibling. We are having a homebirth so DS will be here at the house but we plan to have a birthday party AND big brother party once the baby comes.
#4 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 AM

I think last time we picked the kids up at my mom's and then all drove home together. We'll probably end up doing that again this time, it worked fine.
#5 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM

I like the idea of A - but honestly, I think any of those options would be ok.

My Mom is coming to stay with ds at our apartment, so he'll be home when we get there. But I'm also expecting her to bring him to visit at the hosptial ASAP after Gavin comes.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#6 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM

When we brought home Adam (Rachel was 2.5) she came with Ben to the hospital to bring us home. It was kind of chaotic but fun. I'm not sure what we will do this time, it will depend on what time/ day I get discharged (they are both big enough to be in school now).

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#7 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But I'm also expecting her to bring him to visit at the hosptial ASAP after Gavin comes.
Yeah I'm very insistant that she be our first visitor, then she can introduce her baby brother to other people.

I kind of figured A would be the best option, but I thought I'd seek advice from the experienced. Thanks ladies

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page