Less movement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 39 weeks, and have started to realize that over the last few days, baby's movement has been different than it has been over the last few months. Fewer huge kicks and punches, more shifting and light jabs. I find myself doing kick counts more now than I did a month ago. Is this true for anyone else? I have a midwife appointment tomorrow so I'll mention it then, but I just wanted to get a feel for what other people are experiencing.

I'm getting tons of BH contractions this week and am generally feeling crampy all day long.

For the record, I have a severely tipped uterus that has remained super tipped throughout the pregnancy (despite doctors insisting that a tipped uterus always rights itself halfway through pregnancy), so I didn't start to feel ANY movement until 20+ weeks...

Anne - Wife to DH, mom to DD (5/08) and DS (10/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm 39 weeks too and have been experiencing the same thing. I talked to both my midwives about it the last two appointments, and they said it's perfectly normal for the movements to feel different. It's due to less space, baby sleeping more and one midwife said their movements also become a little bit more coordinated (had not heard that before as they are still pretty jerky once they come out!).

I panic a few times a day and then concentrate for a bit and realize I can totally feel the baby moving around but it's a much different feeling. Once in a while I get a jab or kick, but mostly it's a foot pushing out on one side almost like the baby is just having a little stretch.

But definitely talk to your midwife about it to ease your concerns!

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Exactly. You'll feel less kicks per se and more rolling around because there is less room for baby to do gymnastics. But you should still be getting your 10 kicks. Just not as strong as they use to be.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm 39w2d and also mostly feeling shifting around and lots of stretching, which hurts when s/he uses my ribs as a push-off point! This baby has never been very kicky anyway. I haven't done any kick counts and just try to make sure s/he keeps having regular active periods every day.

9/2011 items decluttered
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very normal! I'm 38w3d and I feel mostly shifting and hiccups. I don't feel actual kicks or punchs very often.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM

same for me. she doesnt have her really active period anymore either. I chalk part of it up to her saving energy for delivery. at least that is sure what I am hoping for!

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM

I'm 38w5d and have been feeling less movement the last few weeks. My MW said that as the baby shifts into optimal birthing position (head down, back out) a lot of kicks are directed inwards towards your organs so you will feel and see less kicks out of the belly. That along with less room, more coordinated movements, etc.

User Tag List