Risking out of the birth center (low iron)?!? *Update post 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well today was a frustratiung mw appt. Everything was going great until the end when the birth assistant came and checked my iron level (first time they have checked in months). It was 9.0 and it has to be a 10 in order to give birth at the birth center. This was news to me.

My mw was very non-chalant about telling me that if we don't get my iron levels up, I'll be risked out. WTF?!? I'm 36 weeks pregnant. I do NOT want a hospital birth.

Right now, she is going to put me on a prescription iron supplment. I'm already taking a flurdoix. I'm going to up my spinach/red meat consumption.

I'm stressed out and frustrated. I'm going to have more blood work done (via a lab) on Friday. I'm going to call my mw tomrorow and see if we can talk more in depth about the options.

All I can think about is what if I am risked out...then what? Would a CPM even take me this late for a home birth? The thought of having a hospital birth in this area (SW FL) makes me want to start drinking.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#2 of 22 Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 PM

I don't have any advice I just wanted to offer

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#3 of 22 Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 PM

A CPM should not take you this late, especially if you risk out of the birth center. I would be suspicious of anyone who would do that.

Just get your iron up, mama!!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 22 Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 PM

how frustrating they didn't check sooner to give you more time.

i think it's highly possible a cpm would take you this late in the game.
#5 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 AM

seriously, it's getting to the point where EVERYTHING seems to be about CYA. I was risked out of an ABC last pg b/c of ONE arbitrary BP reading.

Seriously, there should be a distinction between midwife and medwife so people know what they are really getting into.

Here's hoping your iron goes up...way up!!!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#6 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM

I don't know your area but I know two women who transferred to CPMs at 36 and 34 weeks in Northern VA -- different midwives too. The first was literally when CPMs first became legal in the state 4 yrs ago and the other is due in a couple of weeks.

On your iron levels, try posting in a couple of the other forums like the Birth & Beyond or the Nutrition forum. I know Floradix is supposed to be great for you but maybe there are other things you can start now to get your iron levels up. Good luck, Mama

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#7 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 PM

I went to my midwife appointment the day before I had my baby and my midwives were not liking my iron level. It had dropped below 10 also. My midwives were so not happy about it. I was petrified of being dropped.

They had me double up on the Floridix, and take liquid chlorophyll. The Chlorophyll tastes awful, but it all worked. They also said take take dandelion root. I choose to take the tea because your body tends to absorb liquid more easily. Taking Vitamin C also really helps with iron absorption. It does work.

I was at 8.9 at the midwife appointment Monday afternoon. Went into labor Monday night. They had me start taking all that every hour while in labor. I would up transferring to the hospital and the hospital got a reading of 10.5.
#8 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM

the only advice i can give you is orange juice and kiwi fruits. drink a glass full or eat a kiwi with every iron tablet/iron rich meal. ur body struggles to absorb iron without vit c xx

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#9 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 03:15 PM

I'm sorry. I hope you can get your iron up. My DW has been dealing with severe anemia (iron level staying at a 1) and has done so much over the last year to avoid a blood transfusion. She was just checked again and is at 13, which is still below normal, but better than a 1!! It took over a year to up it to that. Here are some tips that might help:

Avoid coffee, tea, egg whites, milk, fiber and soy protein when taking iron. Those block the absorption. Increase the Floradix by 2 or 3 times what you've been taking. Add powdered alfalfa to dandelion tea. Add chlorophyll, like a PP said. Add blackstrap molasses and red meat to your diet. I would avoid the prescription iron pills, personally. Add a B-complex vitamin and chase the Floradix with OJ, like a PP said. And drink citrus juice when eating the red meat. It all helps you absorb the iron. The B-complex helps with that too. Good luck!! I think it's ridiculous to cut you off if you're just barely below.

My midwife doesn't even check for iron, so maybe a CPM would take you and you just wouldn't have to mention the iron thing? Just say you want to switch to homebirth? That's what I would do. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that one, though.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#10 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Hi – this is a short response for what is really a long explanation but I just wanted to share with you…

With my first baby I had “planned” a very natural hospital birth. It became clear around 36.5 weeks that I was headed toward a C-Section because my water broke and I had no other signs of labor. I decided that I had to find a homebirth MW (something I had really wanted to do all along), because I “knew” my boy needed more time before he was born for him to truly thrive. I found a lay MW who would work with me and it was the best decision I have ever made. He was born healthy and in his own time at home 9 days after my water broke.

I’m just saying do what is best for you and your baby. Follow your intuition!

If you have any questions you can feel free to PM me.

Jenn (30) wife to DH (42) and Mama to DS (2). Looking forward to our with #2 due Nov. 2 2010.
#11 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM

My iron is also just below what they want it to be, a month ago it was 106(I'm not sure what that equals on the scale everyone here is using.) my midwife ideally wants it to be around 115. I started taking Euro-fer which is an over the counter iron supplement and in two weeks raised it to 109. I then added Floradix as well and was retested this week not sure what it is yet. My midwife suggested making sure I get lots of bran because it's high in iron as well.

It's a bit weird to me that they would risk you out for having iron one below what they want. I'm not being risked out of my home birth and mine is 4 below what they want!
#12 of 22 Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Bran flakes cereal have a ton of iron in them. I started eating them during one of my past pregnancies, and my iron level was very high when I had my lab work done. In the past I'd always been slightly anemic, so I was shocked it was so good. The only thing I could think of was all the bran flakes I'd been eating. I always make them a regular part of my pregnancy diet now.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#13 of 22 Old 10-01-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot thank you all enough for your suggestions and input! This is why I love mdc.

I've upped my florudix intake (with oj), taking chlorophyll pills, taking yellow dock & dandelion root. I've also upped my spinach intake, along with adding more red meat and last night I even had chicken livers. I also had cream of wheat.

I had my bloodwork done this morning. I also talked my birth center midwife yesterday and they just aren't being as supportive as I wanted them to be. They didn't seem to get why I was upset they should have tested me sooner so that we could have worked on correcting the problem before now. So now, I have this trust issue with them.

This morning I also meet with a homebirth midwife. DH & I both got a good feeling from here. She is confident that I can get my iron levels up in the next 2 weeks (barring that my blood results come back horribly).

I'm going to wait and see what my blood results come back with, but as long as it just low iron - I'm thinking of switching. I feel a lack of trust and faith in them. It stinks that we put out some money for the birth center already and now we will have to put out even more for the homebirth - and our insurance does not cover CPM's. But, it will be worth it if I can have a peaceful birth with a midwife I trust.

#14 of 22 Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Unlike most minerals and vitamins you'll absorb more iron from the spinach if its cooked slightly.

Also cook everything in a cast iron pan (especially acidic food, like tomatoes), a skillet is about twenty bucks, it did wonders for my hb.

And go light on the calcium/dairy, calcium inhibits iron absorption.

Good luck getting the birth you want!!!

Mother to none, midwife to many .
#15 of 22 Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 PM

hey mama, are they doing a finger prick test or a blood draw?

Blood draws are much more accurate with less room for human error. Also did they not check you at 28 weeks? I've always thought it was standard of care to test at 28 weeks. It's not too late to transfer to a HB midwife. I disagree with the PP who said that a CPM should not take you if you risked out of the birth center, the birth center showed poor care by not testing you earlier, and a good CPM should be able to work with you to get your iron up quickly. AFrom my experience CNM staffed birth centers have much stricter guidelines (since they require an MD backing) than HB midwives.

Oops just saw that I DDCC, sorry!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#16 of 22 Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM
wbg

ddc crashing. wishing u much love for your birthing journey.

i always share my low iron remedy as I was almost risked out of my home birth with insane low (the why r you still standing kind) iron levels.

My fix:

Double dose liquid floradix
Beetroot capsule 3 times day with glass of OJ
Yellow dock tincture

High spinach and meat intake!

Got my levels up super fast and significantly.

Good luck Mama.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#17 of 22 Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Update: My blood tests came back great. I want back and forth with the Birth Center and their lack of tact and the amount of stress it caused me during this period and decided to switch to a homebirth. I found a midwife that would take me and we had our first "real" appointment on Wednesday. It went great. I'm really excited about having a homebirth and not having to be in a car while having contractions.

#18 of 22 Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm glad you were able to find a hb mw to take you! Great news
#19 of 22 Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM

Yay! So glad you found a great solution!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#20 of 22 Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM

awesome!
#21 of 22 Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 AM

That is awesome that your iron is up AND awesome that you found a hb mw who will take you! Sounds like a great situation all around

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#22 of 22 Old 10-09-2010, 11:44 PM

Great story and lots of good info re low iron levels in this thread. I don't recall getting my iron tested in late pregnancy with my first... Maybe the rules are different here in Canada?

Obviously low iron is a concern, but I'm curious to know what the specific risk to birthing is. Heavy bleeding?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page