Eleanor's birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - I haven't been a DDC regular due to a busy life away from the computer, but I wanted to share my birth story with you. I've really enjoyed reading the stories in the September group and now here!

I had my membranes stripped at 2:00 pm on Tuesday the 28th (40 weeks +1) after a long chat with my OB about my gestational diabetes and when she would require me to be induced. I was 3cm and 75% effaced at that time and she thought that I would probably go into labor by the middle of the night. I immediately started having cramping after she did the stripping (which didn't hurt much, but I've heard others talk about it being quite painful). Had a non-stress-test right after and the baby looked great.

I got home about 4:00. I really felt crampy and was definitely feeling real contractions that weren't just tightening up front but also in my butt/lower back area. Ate dinner around 6:00 and went for a walk around the block twice at around 7:00. Played around with DD and then I went downstairs and DH did bedtime with DD at around 8:00. We watched a one hour show around 9:00 and I started to need to breath through the contractions. About 1/2 way through the show I had to close my eyes for one. I started timing them at this time and they weren't consistent - ranging from 5 to 7 minutes between. I texted my doula around this time and she recommended that I try to take a shower and get some rest. After the show (10:00ish) I went upstairs and got in the shower. The contractions really started to pick up and gain strength at that point. During the shower there were two strong contractions where I needed to lean against the wall and do some real breathing. DH had gotten in bed while I was in the shower. We worked through maybe 3 ctx on the bed when I decided I'd be more comfortable kneeling on the couch facing the back while he put pressure on my hips and lower back. We started timing them again at this point and were surprised by how close together they were (2-3 minutes) and how strong they were getting. At 10:58 (gotta love cell phones) I called my doula and asked her to come over quickly. She arrived about 20 minutes later.

I was really needing to vocalize at this point so I decided to go downstairs so that I wouldn't wake DD. My doula thought it would be good to do a knees to chest position with the hopes that it would either concrete the contractions in a really regular pace or slow things down. I lasted about 15 minutes like that and then had to go to the potty. Nice. While in the bathroom I worked through 3 more at which point we decided it was probably time to head to the hospital. We loaded up in the car and made the 8 block journey. DH drove into the wrong entrance (two of them) before we figured out where to go. Got upstairs (12:10) and they put my in triage to check me (6 cm) and go on monitors for a few minutes. Baby was GOING NUTS. She must have been getting into position at that point because she was flipping out moving around which made the ctx even harder to deal with. About 20-ish minutes later we got to our room (12:30). All the tub rooms were full (which wouldn't have mattered anyway because we weren't going to get the tub filled in time anyway!) so I decided to get in the shower. It felt good. DH sprayed my back while I leaned on the wall to work through about 3 more ctx. Then blam, my water broke - I remember looking down and seeing meconium and freaking out a bit. Next contraction was a doosy and I felt a little pushy. I freaked out right after that contraction and washed my hands. I knew that it was time and the thought of leaning against the tile wall in the hospital shower and then holding my baby grossed me out.

Got to the bed - a pushy nurse said - "get in the bed" and I hollered "I'm not going to be on my back." I climbed up on the bed facing the back and leaned over the back of the bed. I worked through one contraction and then my Dr. walked in (I had paged her when we left the house) - I heard her say "Hi Molly - is this the position you want to push in?" I said "YES!" and she said "Push whenever you are ready." I didn't hear anything after that besides my loud vocalizations but DH said that she lifted the blanket that had been placed over me and said "oh, she's crowning." That ring of fire is no joke! I remember 3 distinct parts of the 1 big push it took to get her out - the head, the shoulders and then the rest of the body in a final gush! AH!

Eleanor Agnes was eager to enter the world and was born at 12:55 am on 9/29 at 7 lbs, 13 oz, just about 45 minutes after we got to the hospital and about 4 hours after I considered myself in "active labor." Dr. H wanted to cut the cord immediately so I could get to the baby but I stopped her and somehow maneuvered around the cord to hold her. DH cut the cord after it stopped pulsing.

I held my sweet girl for quite a few minutes but they had to do some suctioning on her a few minutes later - apparently entering the world that quickly can cause some serious fluid into the lungs, tummy, etc.

The placenta came fairly quickly but about 45 minutes after I delivered it I started to hemorrhage a bit so I got a nice shot of pitocin and 4 tabs of cytotech in my butt?!

This was such a different experience from my first delivery when I was induced with pitocin and ended up relenting to an epi at about 7cm. There wasn't even time to get an IV in me or hook me up to anything (I was thankful for this). The best thing we did was hire a doula - without her I wonder if I would have ended up at the hospital much sooner, or not at all? It's so hard to say. Her experience helped us to know exactly when was the right time to go and gave me tremendous self-esteem once we were at the hospital to make sure that everything WE wanted was done (or not done, as the case may be)!

She latched on immediately and hasn't stopped since. My milk came in quite a bit faster than with DD1 - about 35ish hours. We've been adjusting to life with 2. I had forgotten how it feels to have giant engorged breasts (thankfully calming down now) and how often the diapers must be washed!

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
#2 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Wow. Fast birthing. Thank goodness that you got to deliver the way you wanted in the hospital! That's great! Congrats on your baby and enjoy your babymoon!!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#3 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Congrats on your new baby girl, and a fantastic birth!

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
hyz

Congratulations on your sweet baby girl! Love her name! It sounds like you had a wonderful birth, and I really appreciate you posting the story in detail--you did an amazing job, mama!! What a beautiful story!

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#5 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM

What a great story. Thank you for sharing!

Welcome to the world little Eleanore!
#6 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!
#7 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Great story thanks for sharing!

Congrats and welcome baby!

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#8 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Congratulations and welcome Eleanor! Thanks for sharing your story!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#9 of 9 Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Congrats!!! Welcome Eleanor!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page