Internal exam - how much blood? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I had an internal exam 45 minutes ago and the doctor said to expect spotting/bright red blood, but how much is "normal"?

She did the internal, I wiped there was bright red blood and I wiped until it was gone and then left the office. Then I went home and when I was walking through the living room I felt fluid dropping down my leg, I thought my water was starting to break or something, but nope, pulled down my pants and my pants and legs are covered in bright red blood. Went to the bathroom and blood was dripping in the toilet (slow drip). I wiped till it was gone until I stood up again and now I am lying down. Is this normal?

Please help a clueless first time mom out.

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM

I would call and ask. I would worry about the blood dripping down your leg. I had blood mixed with mucus (enough to fill a pantyliner) after a membrane sweep, but nothing that would actually drip down my leg. Just calling and asking can help ease your mind.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#3 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 11:52 AM

I would probably call to check it out to.

And FYI, you can refuse all further internal exams. They really don't tell you ANYTHING productive. It doesn't matter how dilated/effaced you are... all labors proceed differently, and you could be tightly closed up until labor begins, and then have a fast, quick labor (like I tend to do), or you could be hanging out at 4 cm for days.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#4 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 PM

I would call, too. I haven't had that much blood from an internal, it's been red and mixed with mucous discharge stuff, but never that much. Make sure you describe exactly how much, too. Put on a pad and if you're soaking thru more than one an hour, don't hesitate to go to labor and delivery.

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#5 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 12:56 PM

That sounds a little heavy, I think I would go ahead and call.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#6 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM

I've never had it drip either. I wonder if she accidentally scratched you inside? I would call.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#7 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Called our doula who is a RN. She suggested that I lay down for a few hours and monitor the blood. If still heavy call the OB. DW says the blood is bloody show. I will continue to monitor things and keep you lovely ladies updated.

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#8 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM

sounds like more than an internal exam, more like a stretch and sweep, and obviously she really irritated your cervix. they're prone to bleed this stage in pregnancy because they're so soft and vascular.

hopefully it was communicated what she was doing and consented to.
#9 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm, definitely sounds heavier than normal. Could be bloody show, but it's hard to tell since it came aftern the internal. I had one last week and it was fairly painful because she was trying to find his head (he was up too high to feel it) and I didn't even spot (couldn't stretch and sweep because I wasn't dilated at all). I've never had that much blood from a stretch and sweep, either. Keep us updated!
#10 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
sounds like more than an internal exam, more like a stretch and sweep, and obviously she really irritated your cervix. they're prone to bleed this stage in pregnancy because they're so soft and vascular.

hopefully it was communicated what she was doing and consented to.
There was no mention of a sweep or any consent to one. She just said I am doing an internal and then she said I was 1.5 dilated and to not be alarmed by A little blood.

#11 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Bloody show would look like snot and blood mixed.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#12 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM

I would definitely check it out. I feel terrible to possibly alarm you, but I know two mamas who had bright red bleeding - in one case pooling and the other dripping like you describe - and both times it was due to a partial separation of the placenta.

I can't imagine that an internal could have caused anything of this nature, but I think you should check it out anyway.

btw in both cases I mentioned everything turned out fine.
#13 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM

You would know if she did a stretch and sweep, it's pretty painful and you can see and feel them swooshing around up there. I'd go ahead and call, bright red blood like that just doesn't seem normal.
#14 of 22 Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM

I would also call. That amount of bleeding could be something abnormal.

Do you know the location of your placenta? A partial previa or even low lying placenta can get irritated by cervical exams and cause lots of bleeding and other issues. As well as you could have whats called a "vasa previa" where baby's blood flow vessals go acrossed the cervix but its not the placenta over the cervix. one of those blood vessals rupturing can be catastrophic.

I think the timing of the cervical exam is coincidental... but this seems different than blood from a cervical check. Usually they are mucous mixed and just spotting. Same thing with bloody show... its not usually straight blood dripping.

Call doc and trust your gut. If it was enough to call doula and post here.. give doc a cal just to be safe.

Mama to a zoo!
#15 of 22 Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Update

The doctor said I have an irritable cervix and that was the reason for all the blood. Eventually I was only spotting and this morning nothing. I still find it a bit odd... The exam was really painful and I was vocal about it and was crawling up the table, maybe you ladies were right, maybe she swept me by accident? She used two fingers and when she got up there she twisted her wrist.

#16 of 22 Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 AM

So glad to hear that everything is OK!

... But I have to add, it's interesting how doctors love to blame everything on the cervix. They virtually personify the cervix, calling it incompetent, irritable or just not cooperating if its not dilating fast enough for their liking during birth.

Apparently your cervix is "irritable," not "irritated" by the doctor's aggressive internal. Just saying.
#17 of 22 Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM

I'd ask if she did a stretch and sweep, because she shouldn't be doing it without your consent. But she might have just be trying to get a good feel, like I said, I wasn't dilated so couldn't have a stretch and sweep (even though I wanted one!) but my internal was painful just because she was trying to find baby's head.

But I'm glad it seems to be nothing serious!
#18 of 22 Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM

I think it's pretty common for docs to do membrane sweeps without asking their patients. In their minds, it's just part of the "internal exam" once you are term. That doesn't make it right, but I would not be shocked about it. I would just refuse all internal exams from this point forward.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#19 of 22 Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

she definitely did a stretch and sweep and it's a total violation if it wasn't communicated and consented to before hand. it's this kind of thing that makes me livid.
#20 of 22 Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM

I hope the situation finds your Dr's explanation adequate. It really seems like she did something up there... what on earth is an irritable cervix, anyway?

The only time I've had bleeding like that was bloody show during active labor.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#21 of 22 Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I see her again on Tuesday, I am going to have a little discussion with her, and I will speak to my wife about refusing my 39 week internal. DW thinks that maybe she was just trying to help me out because I have had a horrific pregnancy and once the baby is out I will be "normal" again.

Hyperemesis (still puking)
PICC line - later got infected with yeast and staph
2 week IV antibiotic treatment for said infection
Mag, Potassium, Iron infusions - Due to Hyperemesis
Blood Transfusion - due to Hyperemesis
42 day hospitalization
30 days home nurse care
Countless hydration therapies
Contractions that don't do anything since 25 weeks

And after all of that, I am still telling her no C-section, want to avoid induction.

#22 of 22 Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM

I think she stripped your membranes without your consent.

User Tag List