Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central New Jersey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are going to treat the GBS, I'm fairly certain that the only way of significantly reducing your chances for transmission to the baby is to do IV antibiotics during labor (it's not like you're hooked to an IV line your entire labor- it's an intermittent injection every 4 hours and you can have a saline lock so you only need to be stuck once). At least, it's the only way that's been proven effective.
You can always choose not to treat it if you feel the risks/side-effects of the antibiotics are worse than the chance of infection. Or you may wait and see what the situation is. If, for example, your membranes rupture and you don't go into labor the risk/benefit scale may tip in favor of antibiotics.
All I'm saying is I don't completely discount the antibiotics as a viable treatment option.
Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10