~ Breastfeeding Thread ~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's it going Mamas?

It seems a bit easier for me the second time around. At least one of us has done this before and I know the soreness will pass in a few more days if I'm careful about getting good latches.

We're trying to master side-lying now since I desperately need that for my long-term sanity. We didn't get it last night very well, though. We tried for several minutes before little dude got too frustrated and we had to switch to sitting up.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM

It's going pretty well for us. Livia's had a great latch pretty much from the start and no jaundice. We're tandem nursing with her older sister which is probably why my milk came in with a vengeance after 36 hours. She has a moderate amount of reflux and needs to nurse in a relatively upright position, but overall she's been dealing with my overactive letdown way better than her sister did at the same age... maybe because I've only been block nursing her from the start and it took me several days/weeks to realize that offering two breasts per feeding was a bad idea with Alice. The engorgement has been pretty bad so I gave in and pumped a little (bad idea, I know) this morning. I'm debating going out and buying some cabbage leaves if things don't calm down soon.

Um, that's about it for us. I long for the time when I'll be able to nurse Livia side lying. I guess it will depend on how quickly her digestive system matures to the point where it's able to handle my crazy milk supply without copious amounts of post-feed burping. I think we could maybe manage the position at this point, but I'd have to sit us both up immediately to burp her afterwards which would defeat the purpose. Alice on the other hand is pretty amazing at being a side-lying breast pump... even in her sleep!

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#3 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Some babies aren't good at side-lying until they are a little bigger. Good luck mommas. I'll be in this thread soon.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#4 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Oooh, great thread! Dylan is my first baby, so I'm new to breastfeeding. It's going pretty well so far (just shy of 3 weeks). He has a great latch and seems eager to feed in almost any position I try (even ones that aren't technically positions, but that we find ourselves in anyway because we're both still trying to figure this thing out!)

The only concern I have is that he spits up, a LOT. I'm pretty sure this is due to my moderately forceful letdown, and the fact that he just eats SO hard and fast that he sucks in way too much air, even with a good latch. I'm block feeding to try to rectify this, and making sure that I burp him a couple of times per feed, but even with this we have spit-up. To compound this, he HATES being burped, so sometimes when I stop to burp him (because I can hear a whole bunch of air going down with his milk), he screams and takes in even MORE air! Thus a 15 minute feeding session turns into an hour of wrestling with the baby to calm him down enough to eat. Not to mention, he makes a BM every time he feeds, and he gets distracted by the uh.. mechanics of that, so I have to stop and change him halfway through

rparker, you mention nursing in an 'upright' position to help with reflux. Which one do you use, exactly? I think this would help Dylan a lot, too - but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Catherine, DH and DS kid.gif Dylan Michael, born 9/23/10 
#5 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

miso_soup, when DD was a noob she used to take in a whole lot of air with my overactive letdown down too. What helped was latching her on to stimulate a letdown, then taking her off and letting all the milk pour/spray out with the letdown into a cloth (or cup if you wanna save it) and latching her back on when the flood had subsided.

I cant wait to be breastfeeding a tiny again

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#6 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 04:04 PM

miso_soup: Livia (usually) is able to manage with just a normal cradle hold as long as I'm careful to keep her head slightly above her body and lean my torso back slightly... Dylan sounds an awful lot like Alice though so I can still answer your question.

You could try leaning way back/lying down and laying him on top of you so that he's looking down at your breast when he nurses. You could also try sitting cross legged and having him sit upright on your lap facing the breast like he's going to have a conversation (supporting his head/neck/back of course). Both of these assume a fair amount of head control though that not all newborns have.

I should add that neither of those (or any position) eliminated spit-up entirely with Alice; they just made it more likely that she would wait until she was done bf-ing before spitting up. If Dylan doesn't have jaundice, has adequate pee/poop output, and is gaining well, even crazy, copious spit-up is a laundry problem more than a medical/nutritional one, weird as that sounds. I remember being really anxious about how much Alice spit-up after every feeding (it was like something out of the Exorcist) until her pediatrician explained this to me. And she really did spit-up A LOT, like huge amounts so that everything smelled like spoiled milk and we were both constantly changing our clothes. This went on for months until she just finally outgrew it (I forget when, but it was when she was older than 6 months). I just learned to put bibs over every outfit and to carry a dozen prefolds with me at all times.

The only other advice I have is that I also gave up on burping her during feedings and just let her comfort suck until she was done. I don't know if this helped to lessen the spit-up at all, but it seemed to make her happier and my philosophy was that she was going to puke a huge amount of milk up no matter what I did. Of course you should ignore this if he's having any trouble with weight gain and you need to find a way for him to keep more down... Alice was a really chubby baby so I didn't have to worry that she was getting enough.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#7 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 AM

Anders is the spittiest baby I've ever seen, but he has no real complaint with it and is gaining just fine (and pooping prolifically!). So I'm told it's just a "laundry problem," and not reflux? And I don't think it's necessarily forceful letdown? He sputters every now and then, but...not every time and it's not necessarily when I first let down?

Anyway, nursing's going better and better. Second tongue-tied baby. I still can't believe it. After the hell we went through to nurse DS1, I was looking forward to an easy time of it. Instead I get to put my first-hand knowledge to work again, and with extra patience since this one is a posterior tongue-tie.

*sigh*

At least he's getting plenty, and it's getting better and better...

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#8 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 AM

First time mom here, too.

Breastfeeding seems to be going alright! I was worried that she doesn't stay on the breast long enough but I have a quick let down and baby generally means business when she's on the breast so my midwife said that some babies get enough in a shorter amount of time. She also feeds fairly frequently. About every 3 hours during the day (with some cluster feeds) and 1.5 to 2 hours every night...wish this was a little more spaced out!

I had quite a bit of pain when I was engorged and my right nipple cracked a little bit. My midwife looked at our latch and showed me how it wasn't ideal. The adjustments I needed to make were easy and things are going much more smoothly now and while I am occasionally tender, it's nothing like the pain I felt in the beginning.

At our appointment on the 8th, Naomi was 9lbs 1 oz...almost a whole pound up from her birth weight in less than 2 weeks! Her face is filling out more, too.

I still rely on pillows to nurse and so this makes me hesitant to go out for long periods of time...not that I have the energy for that, anyway! We also haven't tried any positions other than cross cradle hold with pillow, except for the brief moments that my midwife tried to teach me some others.
#9 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 AM

Oh and Naomi has only spit up once and I try to burp her but I rarely get any burps out...but she doesn't seem uncomfortable?
#10 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeJ View Post
Oh and Naomi has only spit up once and I try to burp her but I rarely get any burps out...but she doesn't seem uncomfortable?
If she's not uncomfortable dont worry about her not burping. Not all babies need burping

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#11 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
If she's not uncomfortable dont worry about her not burping. Not all babies need burping
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but it's reassuring to hear it from someone else!
#12 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM

i try to burp phin twice each feeding but she rarely burps and never seems uncomfortable (i think she gets most of her gas out through the other end, lol!) so i'm not worried about it. like melly said, some babies just don't need to burp especially if they aren't taking in much air while nursing.

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#13 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Osric was above his birth weight at his appointment yesterday at 6 days

With DS1 I used my pillow every time I fed him until 2 months or so. At that point he was big enough with good enough head control that I stopped using the pillow. This time I use the pillow if I'm doing a different hold or if we're having problems getting a good latch.

Btw, I would encourage first time moms to at least try the football hold. It really helps drain some of the milk ducts that the typical cradle hold doesn't. It also feels good if you have a bit of soreness from the cradle hold.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#14 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Breastfed babies don't usually need to be burped - there's no air in your breast!

Plus...they just kind of burp. Without "being burped." Of course, there are lots of exceptions - my own baby sort of being one of them, in that he insists on being upright after some feedings.

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#15 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeJ View Post
First time mom here, too.

Breastfeeding seems to be going alright! I was worried that she doesn't stay on the breast long enough but I have a quick let down and baby generally means business when she's on the breast so my midwife said that some babies get enough in a shorter amount of time. She also feeds fairly frequently. About every 3 hours during the day (with some cluster feeds) and 1.5 to 2 hours every night...wish this was a little more spaced out!

I had quite a bit of pain when I was engorged and my right nipple cracked a little bit. My midwife looked at our latch and showed me how it wasn't ideal. The adjustments I needed to make were easy and things are going much more smoothly now and while I am occasionally tender, it's nothing like the pain I felt in the beginning.

At our appointment on the 8th, Naomi was 9lbs 1 oz...almost a whole pound up from her birth weight in less than 2 weeks! Her face is filling out more, too.

I still rely on pillows to nurse and so this makes me hesitant to go out for long periods of time...not that I have the energy for that, anyway! We also haven't tried any positions other than cross cradle hold with pillow, except for the brief moments that my midwife tried to teach me some others.
If you space out the feedings any more you could get your period back quicker. Just FYI. The more often you nurse, the longer your period could potentially come back. Plus its the first few weeks. Your baby will figure out how much and how often nursing will be after a few weeks. It will ebb and flow.
I can't wait to be breastfeeding my little one! (Or big one!)

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page