Mothering Forum banner

Post partum chat

3K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  meriberi_00 
#1 ·
Just wondering how our post partum mommies are doing!

Finn is 4 days old and we came home last night! He's a sweet little guy, he doesn't cry much and now that my milk is in he sleeps well. He's doing pretty good with nursing, he's had a little trouble latching properly on the right side so I'm a little sore there, but we're working on it and he's getting better. Thankfully he got the hang on nursing laying down right away, so I got a good amount of sleep last night!

I'm still pretty sore from the c/s. Since my last baby was a natural vba2c, it makes the c/s seem even worse recovery wise. I felt great after my vaginal birth, I feel like I've been run over by a truck this time! Trying to take it easy, dh has class on Tuesday but doesn't go back to work until Thursday, so hopefully I'll be healed enough by then to take care of the kids on my own.

I had some bad baby blues on day two, which I've never had before. It totally freaked dh out because he called to check on me and I started bawling on the phone and hung up on him, so he called the hospital to tell my nurse to come check on me. Thankfully it was much better by the next day and I feel much better now.

How's everyone else?

See less See more
#2 ·
we are doing ok. Ingrid will be 2 weeks tomorrow....i hate how this time flies.
We are using a nipple shield as she wouldn't latch on, even the LC couldn't get her to. She was born at 37w 2d and has a teeeeeeny mouth plus had jaundice so she was asleep pretty much until this week. We do bottles at night because it was too draining to fight with her to eat at night and with a bottle she didn't have to "wake" up to eat. Otherwise our feeding sessions take an hour to an hour and a half b.c she just won't stay awake. (even butt naked and poking her won't get her to wake up).
But I am determined just like with DS, so right now we are working our way up to breastfeeding at night (we already do it all day and then i pump afterwards since I am producing way more than she is eating). Then we will work at not using the nipple shield. We do try at least once a day to latch without it. Good news is that she rejected the bottle for the breast the other night so I am confident we will get there.
Otherwise I have been in baby heaven. I just can't get enough of the loves and kisses. I don't remember being on this much of a high after ds was born but i am enjoying it. Now if only Ds would stop acting out everything would be perfect.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliversmom7213 View Post
She was born at 37w 2d and has a teeeeeeny mouth plus had jaundice so she was asleep pretty much until this week
Dylan was born at 37w 2d too, and was also quite jaundiced for the first few days, so I can totally relate to your situation!
That first week was HARD! Keeping baby awake long enough for him to feed was a big challenge, and it took two of us constantly massaging his shoulder, tickling his feet, running a wash cloth over his face and trying everything we could to get him to eat enough. He was just soooo sleepy! It does get better, though - Dylan eats like a champ now, and I'm sure Ingrid will do the same before too long.

#4 ·
My DD was born at 37w 5d and she had the jaundice/sleepiness problem too. It was almost impossible to wake her up that first week, and even if we managed to wake her, she'd latch on and fall asleep two minutes later. She's almost 3 weeks old now though and doing much much better! She seems to alternate between "awake" days and "sleepy" days. Today is a sleepy day so I have some computer time.

The poor thing managed to find her thumb today and start sucking it, but scratched herself in the eye in the process and started wailing like a banshee. It's hard being a baby!

#5 ·
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a baby who refuses to wake to eat. The nurse at the hospital told me if she wouldn't eat more before we left I would have to supplement with formula. Because formula wakes babies up to eat??? I guess I missed that study. It is encouraging to hear your babies are doing much better at eating now. It will give me hope at 2am when we are trying to feed!

#6 ·
Uggh, I hate the stupid "advice" they give! Yeah, formula makes them sleep MORE because it's so much harder to digest, so that makes tons of sense

Finn's latch is pretty good now so the blister I had on my right nipple is clearing up. Thank God, because that thing HURT!

I'm feeling much less sore from the c/s now, too. Still hard to roll over and get out of bed and things like that, but at least the pain isn't so bad.

#8 ·
Camden is 8 days old today! He is doing great. He has a good latch, has a pretty good sleep/wake cycle, and is a really sweet baby.

I am having a harder time. I was unable to get rid of the thrush before he was born, and it has been a real challenge. Nursing on my right side was agony, and I was in near constant tears for a few days. Things have gotten a bit better, but it is slow improvement. I am doing grapefruit seed extract orally and topically, gentian violet once a day, and using an herbal topical ointment. This is in addition to the homeopathy remedy, probiotics, and diet changes (no bread or sugar) I'd been using for weeks before birth. Since things are improving, I haven't made a doc appt yet, but diflucan is next if this doesn't significantly clear up by the end of the week.

I am very fortunate, though, that dh is home for another week, and he is taking great care of us. And then my mom took the older three for the weekend, and we had a very nice break. Although I did miss them!

And I am feeling estranged from my toddler, which breaks my heart. He has not asked to nurse since the baby was born. Which is a good thing because of the thrush. But, oh... I have never had a child wean this early. Ds1 was 5 and ds2 4.5 (he also just weaned in the last couple weeks). And I no longer have nighttime cuddles with ds3 because he is too wild a sleeper to be in bed with the baby (he and dh are on a futon on our floor). And he has just always been a daddy's boy, and now I feel like I've lost the few bonding moments we have left... and now I'm bawling again just thinking about it.

#11 ·
honeybee- I know exactly how you feel, I spent the majority of the day yesterday bawling because I feel like I can't spend enough time with my daughter. She is 21 months and doing pretty well with the new baby but she is having a hard time with sharing nursing time. She is always yelling at me to give the baby to daddy so she can nurse. I just feel like this is such a huge change for her and I am doing the best I can but I hate seeing her sad and I miss sleeping with her at night (the baby and I have been sleeping downstairs). I just keep trying to tell myself it WILL get better and she WILL be ok. It's still hard though.

#14 ·
clover is 1w2d today. she got her first bath yesterday which was a bit terrifying. she is a champ of a feeder, the first time i held her she latched on right away. the midwife came by on the 14th and she was 7.11 down from 8.1, midwife came back on the 17th and she was 8.8! the midwife weighed her twice because she has was amazed, the midwife gave us the ok not to wake her for night feedings if she doesnt wake, we have had some 4-5 hour stretches of sleep, but these only seem to happen after a long bought of not being able to settle, shes not crying she just wants to be held or walked around.
im healing well, better than i thought i would. had some weepy moments but seem to ok

#15 ·
I know mine is only a whopping 3 days old, but do your babies let you put them down? I'm just wondering if I'm in for another high needs baby like my first. But I can't put her down without her waking up or just outright crying after maybe 3 minutes. Even for sleep, she's needing to sleep on my arm, directly nestled next to me does not seem to be good enough. But maybe this is all babies?

Baby carriers are my lifeline! thankfully I am well stocked.

#16 ·
Finn is like that most of the time, though the past couple of days he has let me put him in the baby swing, and right now he's actually napping in his basinett! Which totally shocked me
He doesn't seem to like the sling, he just wants me to hold him, I hope he outgrows that.

His sleep pattern is odd, he'll nurse for an hour and a half and then sleep for 4 or 5 hours (only during the day, though, at night he nurses every two hours). He's already 6 ozs over his birthweight though, so he's getting plenty to eat.

#17 ·
How's everyone doing?

We'll be 5 weeks PP on friday, I can hardly believe that Phinley is over a month old!

I think my bleeding has finally stopped, it's been 3 days now but this has happened a couple of times and then it sneaks back up on me again

Anyone else have a baby with a ton of infant acne? Phins showed up a week ago and man is it wicked, poor girl, although it doesn't seem to bother a bit. She also had to be put on phototherapy last friday has her jaundice was still hanging on, looking much better now!

Hope all is well with the rest of you mamas, hungry baby calling my name

#18 ·
Lila is 3 days old and soooo sweet! She just sleeps, eats, and smiles
Wakes at night to eat, passes right back out. Doesn't cry unless shes getting her diaper changed. LOVES the sling, but will sleep in her bouncy seat. My other two kids are adjusting well! My waterbirth was so amazing, and I feel so great- I was at Target 24 hours after she was born. Some may call that nuts, but thats just how we roll in this family, lol. On the go- I needed my starbucks, lol. Aside from the annoying pad I have to wear, I feel completely healed!

#19 ·
Azure is 3 weeks old now. "sniff" He's such a big boy. Really starting that 'look around' phase. He lifts his head up off my shoulder or chest and checks everybody out. Gorgeous baby eyes that look up at you with so much trust....... *sigh*
It's good to be a mom.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katri'smama View Post
Azure is 3 weeks old now. "sniff" He's such a big boy. Really starting that 'look around' phase. He lifts his head up off my shoulder or chest and checks everybody out. Gorgeous baby eyes that look up at you with so much trust....... *sigh*
It's good to be a mom.

madison is 20 days today and sounds similar, she's very good at holding her head up, and oh my.. THAT look of total utter trust... *swoon* ur right...it IS good to be a mum

#21 ·
I'll be 4 wks pp tomorrow. I stopped bleeding about a week ago (or more?) I think. That's the earliest I've stopped I think. So ironic given I hemmorhaged so much after birth I had to have a transfusion! Ah well. I'll take it! So glad to be rid of the pads!!

Mateo is starting to give a few "real" smiles and a couple vocalizations here and there...soooo sweet! He'll hold his head up for a bit, but he's still a bobble head for sure.

He was 9/5 at birth and dropped down to 8/9 but was 11 pounds even yesterday when I weighed him. No surprise given he nurses all.the.time. I do get a block of 4 hours most nights but otherwise he is on at least every hour. I don't mind though. This being my sixth I'm all about the on demand feeding. a) it gives me an opportunity to sit! b) it gives me an opportunity to hold the baby (I have a LOT of helpers!!) and c) since I'm a WOHM and will have to go back in January, I just relish being able to BF all day/every day and not having to pump at all!

My BP is still high and I'm still on my meds. I tried reducing them for a week to half the dose, but when I took my BP today it was 140/90 so I'm putting myself back on the full dose and hoping this gets under control...SOON! Other than that, totally enjoying my babymoon. so, so, so, so, so, soooooooo very much!!

#22 ·
I'm glad you're enjoying your babymoon, mcimom!

Finn is 16 days old ! His umbilical stump fell off yesterday, thank God
He's getting more alert and staying awake longer during the day, too. Which is great, hopefully it means he'll start sleeping better at night. My incision is feeling much better, though I still get sore if I stand too much or do too much.

#23 ·
My girls are 11 days today. I did get a scale bc we were going from bottles (when Charlotte needed to be in the PCN for bili issues/blood count) to all breast feeding and I just wantd to make sure they were both doing okay.

Charlotte is back to her birth weight (5 lbs 4 oz) and Johanna is 1 oz from her BW (6 lbs 3 oz). Im really proud given that I've only had since Saturday with my babies together abd at that time Charlotte was 4 lbs 15 oz and Johanna was 5 lbs 14 oz.

They are good nursers -- I'm esp proud of Charlotte who was on bottles and I was so scared that she wouldnt transition back to breast well. She actually rejects bottles for mommy. Johanna just loves to nurse. That girl would spend ALL day there... and she pretty much does...

I am trying to add in some pumping just to up my supply. My goal is right now three times a day. Im getting about 1 oz after a feed which for two babies I think is pretty good.

I feel pretty good... I've lost 40 out of the 50 lbs I gained with the babies and I have been eating like crazy. This recovery (VBAC) compared to the c/s with my daughter is soooo much better. I think it is more emotional, but I just feel so calm and at peace now. I hate to say it too early but I dont think Im going to get the PPD I got with my daughter.

Physically my only complaint is hemmhroids... hoping those will get beter with time..

#24 ·
I have a question for the experienced mamas here, or at least those who are farther along than I am.

Ds is 2 1/2 weeks old now and has had nothing but the breast (not even a pacifier). I get horrible stabbing pains in my nipples when he nurses, especially during the first few minutes. Will this pain go away at some point? I've been chalking it up to both of us not being good at this yet, plus it seems he prefers to have a shallower latch, which I break and re-latch as much as I dare during a session. He can stick out his tongue so I don't think he's tongue-tied.

Seeing him chunk up makes the pain more than worth it
, but it'd be nice if I didn't dread his getting hungry!

#25 ·
LLL Hat on
Outlier, do the shooting pains start in your breast and go to the nipple? Does it go away after a few minutes, or continue on through out the nursing session and even afterwards? Are your nipples pink/red and itchy?

If the pain only lasts a few minutes and then goes away, it could just be let down. If it persists, and especially if your nipples are red and itchy, it might be thrush. Also, can you have his latch checked? If his latch is fine and the pain is persisting through out the nursing session, I'd try treating you both for thrush.

mauri, so glad to hear that you and your girls are doing so well!

#26 ·
Hmmm well I'm a first time mom but I did have terrible pain in the beginning and it was the result of a bad latch. My midwife worked on our latch at our 5 day pp visit when the pain was really bad and as the latch improved the pain improved. We had a harder time on the right side so I used to avoid that side sometimes and I dreaded when I knew I'd be using that side!

Now at 5 weeks pp, I have some painful discomfort when first latching but only if the baby has gone for a longer stretch without feeding and I'm feeling kind of "full". Otherwise, I'm feeling much better and I believe the better latch is what helped.

If it is a latch issue, I think it would be worth working on the latch as that can also ensure they get more milk at each feeding (at least I was told that).

I asked my midwife about thrush and she said that I would feel sharp shooting pains in between feedings and not just when latching...

Maybe some more experienced mothers have more insight! Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.