Baby Aidan's Birth Story... 10-31-10 - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 2 Old 11-06-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
southernmommie's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: looking through the lense
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Birthing waves started around 2am, but were far enough apart that I could lay in bed and totally relax between them. DH and I had gone to bed kinda late that night. Around 11pm or midnight so I wasn't ready to wake him up yet. We were planning on having the baby at home unassisted. I got out all our supplies, took a shower, and started getting what I wanted out and available ready. I then woke DH around 3:30am to do the big stuff I wanted done. Meanwhile the waves were very manageable. At this point the waves were 3-6 min apart. I was timing them to have something to do. Lol. DH was really nervous still about having baby at home and asked if I still didn't want to go to the hospital. I sat at the computer and the chair hurt. I sat on my birthing ball, that DID NOT help either. So leaning over the ottoman was the only way to relax through the waves. So I tried the shower again. Not as effective as I wanted. So tried the tub. Still not as effective as I wanted. I didn't know what else to do at that point. The waves were coming every 2 minutes consistently. Nothing but leaning over the bed on my knees worked. And this is what I did. I wasn't thinking that baby was going to be born soon. I was thinking that I still had a while to go and they waves were getting harder to get through. So with DH downstairs watching TV I told him that I didn't know what else to do and that I would go to the hospital now and get the epidural. (I didn't think I was as far dilated as I was.) He woke the neighbor, got the kids next door while I packed my bag. DH drove with me in the back seat. After 2 wrong turns we finally arrive at the hospital. We check in and they check me. I'm 7cm. (I was probably an 8 before leaving the house.) They immediately get me admitted. They start my blood work knowing I wanted an epidural. (I have to admit I was a little nervous about pushing.) We did the run through on my medical part. No, I didn't have the GBS swab. I denied it. I've never been positive with the previous 4 so I denied this one. Yes, I'm allergic to penicillin also. I'm also GD and on the medicine. My blood sugar (since it was early morning) was a 95. Perfect! We finally get the epidural and wait to stabilize from that before breaking my water. I'm having some anxiety/panic issues off and on throughout this. I brought my Rescue Remedy to help. I was attached to the fetal monitor and had this IV attached to my arm. I was feeling confined and having problems with it. After about 30 min. we break my water. There was light meconium in the water so they explained that the pediactric doctors would be in the room to look at baby and make sure he's okay when born. I had already known that, but still glad they are still explaining each step also. I don't know how long we waited for that to do anything but not long after I feel my uterus clamping down. A totally different feeling from the waves. I pushed a little just to see if it felt better and it did. So at this time I realize that my body is ready to push baby out. Now it's time!! About that time my nurse walks back in and I let her know that my body is wanting to push. She checks me and sure enough, I'm fully a 10cm and ready. So she calls the doctor back in and they get everything ready. I pushed baby out without any problems. I also didn't tear. Baby's face came out looking at my left leg according to my doctor. I did wind up having 2 skid marks one on each side. Apparently from his face being sideways coming out. Baby also checked out totally fine from the peds. We didn't do the first bath in the hospital. They let me give it to him rather then them doing it right after birth. Baby's blood sugar was perfect for both numbers also. So neither baby nor I had any antibiotics for the GBS and his blood sugars were great for my GD. We eventually got transferred to the Mother-Infant unit, which took a while because while I was there the Labor and Delivery unit filled up. When they were done with me, the lady next to me was ready to deliver her baby so they were running down the halls all day. Lol. Once I got to my recovery room, a pediatric doctor was there and said that since baby's blood sugar was normal and he's doing great, as long as he stays doing good then we could indeed be discharged at 24 hours instead of staying for 48. DH and I were really grateful to hear that. That was one of the reasons why we didn't want to go to the hospital. That and all the interventions they "usually" ramrod you with. I must have had a great group of people together all in one shift!! We were released the next day. Monday afternoon!

This has taken me a couple of days to write. He checked out fine on his 48 hour appointment. We were also having latch issues. I called the LLL person in my area and she went through everything over the phone with me that night. But there was a meeting also and there would be a lactation consultant there that could help us more the next day. Also later that night, DH gets a call from his command telling him that they are canceling his baby leave and he is to fly out to the boat. Most likely on Friday. (This is Wednesday.) Thursday morning I go to the LLL meeting. The LC there thinks that baby might have tongue tie. But baby wouldn't open his mouth for her to see. So another lady at the meeting also delivered at the same hospital 3 months prior to me and had the number to the one and only peds dr that does tongue tie. I called as soon as I got home to make an appointment for him. At first, we couldn't get in until the 16th. (A week and a half later.) But when they called back to make the breastfeeding consultation appointment to help until I could get in, there was an opening for the next day. I snatched it!!! So yesterday, we go to the appoinment. Which was torture leading up to him actually getting clipped. They have to go through all their questions and background information with a slow computer. Meanwhile, baby is crying because he's STARVING!! Then, FINALLY, they look in his mouth, and YES, he does have it. He said it was posterior at a 6%. I know nothing about the percentages. So we do a thorough but quick run through of the checkpoints and what they are going to do. Sign the papers. And they clip his tongue. He held it for a few minutes to stop the bleeding and I nursed immediately after. And it felt so much better. It still stung because I still had the blisters but the actual feeding itself felt better already. So here it is Saturday, still no word on what day hubby is to fly off. We have to wait for each day and see if there is a flight with his name on the manifest from the boat. Baby is doing so much better. Still nurses the old way sometimes out of habit, but overall so MUCH MUCH MUCH better!!

Married to a Navy man of 14 yrs.
03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins, 01-08-15, and newest is due 02/13/16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

m/c 06/97, 01/03, and 10/13
southernmommie is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 2 Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
happythistle's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congrats to you and family!

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
happythistle is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 14,058

25 members and 14,033 guests
agentofchaos , AllTomorrowsParties , bananabee , BirthFree , Deborah , elizabethandrose , emmy526 , healthy momma , Janeen0225 , Katherine73 , Leelee3 , LibraSun , manyhatsmom , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , NaturallyKait , NiteNicole , redsally , sciencemum , shantimama , sniffmommy , sollicitus , stellanyc , transpecos
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.