Mothering Forum banner

Ugh my poor baby (3 weeks) is sick :( Im so scared of fever...

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dancinmommy 
#1 ·
Its no wonder this poor little thing finally caught a cold- she was coughed on by DD before the cord was even cut. My entire family has all been sick at some point since the day i went into labor. Horrible hacking coughs, fevers, sore throats, ugh. And try teaching an excited 4-year old and a 2-year old #1 to cover their mouths, and #2 to keep away from their new baby sister. Sigh. I thought my breastmilk would offer her protection, but now it looks like shes got a bit of congestion/cough. Doesn't seem too bad yet. I am SO worried about her getting a fever. I think my hospital's policy is to do an automatic spinal tap/xray on all newborns who present with fever. Which seems silly since it is obvious that she would just be sick from us, right? Anyway, I am being paranoid. So far shes fine, and eating well. Say a prayer! I never had to worry about this with my July babes!

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post

Its no wonder this poor little thing finally caught a cold- she was coughed on by DD before the cord was even cut. My entire family has all been sick at some point since the day i went into labor. Horrible hacking coughs, fevers, sore throats, ugh. And try teaching an excited 4-year old and a 2-year old #1 to cover their mouths, and #2 to keep away from their new baby sister. Sigh. I thought my breastmilk would offer her protection, but now it looks like shes got a bit of congestion/cough. Doesn't seem too bad yet. I am SO worried about her getting a fever. I think my hospital's policy is to do an automatic spinal tap/xray on all newborns who present with fever. Which seems silly since it is obvious that she would just be sick from us, right? Anyway, I am being paranoid. So far shes fine, and eating well. Say a prayer! I never had to worry about this with my July babes!
they do a spinal whatnow!?! eek. my son had bronchiolitis at 5 wks and he was in hosp for a week being suctioned and on oxygen etc but no spinal tap. certainly not for just a fever. my little baby is now also 5 weeks and showing signs of cold coming on.... fingers crossed for our babes! i'll be treating her at home if she does get sick with a nasal aspirator, saline drops and lots of breastmilk and cuddles. sometimes babies with blocked noses or fevers find it tiring to feed from the breast so be prepared to express xx

#3 ·
Sending healthy thoughts your way!!!! I hope you LO recovers quickly. I'm a bit worried my 4 weeker might get sick cause we have been visiting family for 2 weeks and there is a cold going around. Soooo hard to keep her loving brother and cousins from touching her/breathing on her.

#4 ·
Had the same thing here. Our furnace died (replaced now) and baby would up getting sickish and really congested. Poor thing couldn't breath out of her nose and doesn't really know how to breath out of her mouth yet unless she is crying. Kinda hard to nurse if you can't breath out of your nose either. I am on my second bottle of nasal drops.

#5 ·
Same here. DD1 got sick 2 days after the baby was born, then DD2, then DS got it. I had to keep them away from their new baby sister which was hard. The new baby started coughing, really congested, and I could feel the rattle in her chest about 4 days ago. I stated doing garlic poultices on her feet and some homeopathy and she is almost all better. I was afraid of her getting a fever but she never did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.