PSA: Don't forget tummy time! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Exactly what the title of the post says :) Please remember to put your lovely babies on their bellies every day! 

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#2 of 13 Old 11-25-2010, 01:22 PM

Or hold them so they get the same practise they would if left alone on their tummys

#3 of 13 Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Yeah, my advice would be: don't worry too much about tummy time.  Hold and wear your babies, and they don't really need it.  If they like tummy time, go for it, but if they don't, it's not a big deal. :)

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#4 of 13 Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 AM

Ditto. Ds loved to be held, worn, but was not so down with scheduled tummy time until he rolled over at 3 months and then he wanted to roll onto his tummy all the time.
#5 of 13 Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Dylan HATES tummy time! He gets frustrated with not being able to see anything, I think. On the plus side, when he gets angry he really begins to kick and pick his head up and move it around. So it is fulfilling it's intended purpose, I guess!

Catherine, DH and DS kid.gif Dylan Michael, born 9/23/10 
#6 of 13 Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know about scheduling it, but I think that there are benefits to tummy time that are separate from those of being held/worn. When a baby is being held s/he doesn't get to practice rolling/crawling or pushing up with his/her arms. My older daughter HATED tummy time so I didn't do it very often. She learned to roll on schedule, but she was 9 months old before she began to crawl. FWIW she was held/carried constantly except when she was asleep... we couldn't really put her down.

When we do tummy time with Livia now she seems to tolerate it more if someone lies down on the floor and maintains eye contact with her and/or if we put her mirror or a visually striking (i.e. black and white) toy next to her. She also likes it if we put her on her stomach while she's on her changing table because it lets her see a lot more. 

I've also been trying to let her spend some time each day sleeping on her stomach while stretched across my lap. It seems to both help with her reflux and give her a break from the time at night she spends sleeping, swaddled, on her back. (And also the time during the day that she sleeps in her papasan swing while I cook/clean/do things with her sister.) I really like wearing her (and it lets me get more done), but lately she's spitting up so much that it's less messy to just hold her when she's awake and put her down when she's asleep. I feel kind of guilty about this because her sister barely tolerated being put down for naps and as a result was held way more.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#7 of 13 Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM

Alternatively, we didn't do tummy time with DD1 and she walked at 8 months. But she was carried and worn all the time because she insisted on it. I don't worry about it if the kid looks reasonably strong.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#8 of 13 Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 PM

DS1 didn't do tummy time.  He crawled by 7 months and walked at 9 months.

DS2 has, since he was days old, pushed away from me in carriers (I cannot safely wear him in the moby anymore - he manages to free his arms and wiggle in a way that is going to get his whole body out the top!).  He's safe in the Ergo and uses his arms and holds his head up.  He's pretty darn sturdy for a 2m/o!

All that to say "meh" about tummy time :)

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#9 of 13 Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM

Does anyone else have a toddler who has to shove their face thisclose to the baby during tummy time?  DD1 likes to "help" and that means sticking her face in the baby's and shrieking.  It's kind of funny, but I think she's freaking out the baby.

obstruct livery vehicles

#10 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Does anyone else have a toddler who has to shove their face thisclose to the baby during tummy time?  DD1 likes to "help" and that means sticking her face in the baby's and shrieking.  It's kind of funny, but I think she's freaking out the baby.

Yes!  It drives me crazy!  Dd3 will be 3 in March and she's really bad about this.  Dd2 is 5 and does it too, but she's very low vision so it's hard for me to tell her not to because she has to get close to see.

Dd3 also tries to "help" when I'm nursing by poking my boobs ROTFLMAO.gif

#11 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Yes! It's seems the main way DS2 relates to the baby is by being thisclose. 

Personally, I don't worry about tummy time. Both my boys hated it so I never pushed it and they both crawled at 6 months and walked before they were a year. If there were a specific need for it I would do it... Otherwise, I'm not going to force the issue. I put her to sleep on her stomach and she can already turn her head from side to side. 

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#12 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 11:57 PM

my kid was walking at 11 months without tummy time.  Although I wish she had been willing to do more of it... setting her down more would have helped my sanity!  I wasn't prepared as a first time mom for CONSTANT holding and baby wearing while trying to get things done didn't work.  Either she was sticking out and in the way or there was too much bending over and I didn't feel okay with that.

#13 of 13 Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM

I think 9 months is a pretty normal time for babies to start to crawl. I think each of mine started somewhere between 7-9 months. Each kid has his/her own timetable, and there aren't really any long-term advantages to crawling or walking earlier. We put Camden on his belly for the first time at 4 weeks, just to get some pictures and he shocked us by pushing his torso way up. He's really strong just from holding himself up in the carrier. He may actually like tummy time, but I'm not sure I want to give it to him. I have a friend whose baby is starting to crawl and pulls himself up at 5.5 months... and Camden's just not allowed to grow up that quick. So, no tummy time for him! duck.gif

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page