So anxious and worried about the flu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 3 older kids all in school and the new baby.  I have let fear overtake me, and am so terrified that the baby will get the flu and be hospitalized or die from it.  I always do this, get obsessed that i"m going to be the one person that something like that happens to.  The anxiety is affecting my abililty to function, I'm just so worried about my baby.  But I'm also not too keen on getting flu shots for the older 3, and know that we can get the shot and still get the flu.  I do feel like if I get the vax for them I'll have a sense of security (albeit probably a false sense of security since effectiveness isn't always great).  Someone please talk some sense in to me, I'm a mess.

Thanks.

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you talked with your midwife/provider about your anxiety level? I ask because when I had ppd with my second child, that was one of the primary indicators-- I was consumed with worry about my baby's health. I couldn't get rid of those obsessive thoughts and it was just miserable. :( If it is interfering with your ability to function and to enjoy the baby and the other kids, getting some help might be a good idea.

That said, I am a little concerned about the flu, although we did end up all getting shots (my older children are school aged, too). I know that is no guarantee (I had the flu one year when I had also had the shot), and I am also trying to work with my big kids on good infection control practices-- lots of handwashing. I mainly wear the baby when we are out to try to minimize his exposure to germs. Breastfeeding is also good for their immune systems. I keep reminding myself of those things.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm worried about the flu, too.  We've all had flu shots, expect dh, who will probably get one today while he's out at the store.  I know it's no guarantee, but I've never gotten the flu in the years I've gotten flu shots (I HAVE gotten the flu every year I didn't, though).  I'm more worried about pertussis, Indiana has had over 500 cases and two babies have died from it already.  My kids are all fully vaxed, and I got my dtap booster in the hospital, and dh got one yesterday (they're giving free boosters to new and expecting dads).  So vaccines on top of normal protocol for cold and flu season is pretty much all I can do.  It's scary when they're so little and vulnerable.

User Tag List