Post-Partum Post-Christmas Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Merry Christmas Mama's, Papa's and Bubba's! Hope your Christmas day was filled with love and family and food! 

It's been rather quiet in our DDC lately, no doubt due to being Christmas season, so I'd thought I 'd start a new chat thread.

Ben is nearly 10 weeks old now. My how time flies. I want to slow it down and speed it up at the same time! He's still quite unsettled, but nowhere near as much as a few weeks ago. The hours of inconsolable screaming were rough but we seem to have passed that now. 

How are the mama's doin? My tailbone is nearly all better which is a relief. And we finally DTD a couple times and I seem to be back to normal down there too now, hooray! 

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#2 of 29 Old 12-27-2010, 02:56 PM

We are good here :) Travis is 10 weeks and a few days old and still a tiny peanut. Poor kid is still swimming in a lot of 0-3 month clothes but at least he is using all the adorableness that my first 2 giant babies never did! We finally got him on a good medicine for his relflux (prilosec) and he is like an entirely different baby. It is fantastic. We had a good christmas, hectic but good. Can't wait for next year when we can celebrate at home with hubby home!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#3 of 29 Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear the meds are helping him Chely! 

#4 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM

chely - such a little peanut!  I WISH we could have used MORE of Cady's 0-3 month stuff!  Most of it, I finally packed away last week, along with everything in the NB size that she never wore.  Lol.  I'm glad to hear Travis seems to be feeling better.  Such great news, and hopefully it's made EVERYONE feel better!

Melly - good idea starting up this thread!  :-)  I've been wondering how everyone's been doing, too!  And, we've only got about a month before I think this DDC will probably be closed and archived.  So hard to believe how quickly this DDC came and went!  I'm glad Ben's screaming has subsided and that your tailbone is feeling better!!

AFU - We're doing great!  Cady is just over 10 weeks, and is a little bruiser.  ;-)  At her 2 month visit, she weighed in at 14 lbs, 1 oz, and measured about 24 inches.  She's big, but healthy, and her "bigness" is pretty proportional so she doesn't necessarily look "fat" (well, except for her cheeks!!!).  She is SUCH a good baby, and adjusting to life with her has been so easy.  On Sunday night, she started sleeping in her crib, and both nights she's been in her room have gone so smoothly.  Harder for me than anyone.  She just nods off on her own, and sleeps straight for about 9 hours.  I know we are so very blessed to not have any sleep issues.  I do miss having her right next to me in the co-sleeper, but we never planned for co-sleeping to be permanent.  We went off her cues, and she's been more than ready for this change for awhile.  My little girl is already getting so big!

She also started sitting up unassisted in the Bumbo this week, and is babbling more than ever!  I love watching her change and grow.  I'm so sad to have to return to work on Monday and miss out on the day-to-day stuff.  I'm happy my mother-in-law will be caring for her, but obviously there's no substitute for mama.  :-/

I'm feeling good.  Recovered from the c-section and am at peace with having had one.  Lost 50 lbs (yay nursing!!!) which means I'm down 20 from pre-pregnancy!Would like to drop another 15-20 in 2011... we'll see!!!

Can't wait to hear others' updates!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#5 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Sam is 8 weeks today (how the heck did that happen!) and he is such a love. He is smiling and very social. I am not sure how big he is but I would guess around 11 lbs. He still fits in some 0-3, and is starting to wear his 3-6 though it is baggy. Sleep is okay, but he does want to eat several times overnight so I am still really beat. He does go back to sleep pretty well after he eats, though. He has constant congestion which was a full-fledged cold this past week, but I think he is starting to feel better.

4 more weeks till I go back to work. :( I will be part-time but I am still really depressed about it.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#6 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Matilda turned 9 weeks yesterday and is already comfortably wearing 3-6 month sizes! She gets chubbier every day and has the sweetest, pinkest complexion. We had a low key Christmas with no traveling, just dinner and presents at home with DH and DS and our new little girl. joy.gif

I'm feeling incredibly fortunate and blessed these days, as so many around us are going through tough times. Now more than ever it's really hit me that few things matter as long as a family has its health and can be together. I've started knitting newborn hats and blankies to donate to the local hospital and food bank, which is fun and gives me a great excuse to buy yarn (an addiction of mine). lol.gif

Healthwise, my recovery from this birth has been much easier than it was from Felix's, probably because I didn't tear this time and also I made myself stay in bed for the entire first week. I've already lost most of the baby weight and feel fantastic! *knocks on wood*

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#7 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Hi everyone!

Sophia is 9 weeks today. She seems SO big to us now, but she's only 10 lbs 8 oz. But she gained over two pounds in the last month! She has the best chubby cheeks and Buddha belly! I love it! joy.gif She's still wearing newborn clothes but is starting to fit in 0-3 months.

I'm finally feeling like myself again. I had a REALLY hard time post partum. Not physically. I didn't tear and got the home birth I planned. Everything went perfectly. But I didn't "plan" for pp depression. That threw me for a loop! DD and I didn't bond for about 3 weeks. I hated hearing "oh you must be so in love", because I wasn't. We really had to get to know each other first. Breastfeeding was going horribly. We never mastered it (vasospasms!) but I powered through for a month and then was able to exclusively pump. She's much happier now that she gets a bottle and I'm just glad she gets mommy's milk. smile.gif Ilfe is finally good! It's amazing how many of my crunchy plans have had to go flying out the window.

1) Cloth diapers. She hates cloth diapers. HATES! I have a huge stash that I'm so excited about. I'm going to keep trying a few times a week until she's bigger and pees less. She will just scream if she feels wet and she pees literally every 5 minutes.

2) Bottles and pumping. Didn't expect that one! I always thought, "I have boobs (big ones!) of course I can breastfeed". Ha! I learned my lesson there!

3) Cosleeping. She sleeps so much longer and more peacefully out of our bed. It's weird. I still want to, and maybe she'll change, but she wants to be swaddled and put down on her own. She also has bad dreams. She wakes up every 3-4 hours yelling and crying in her sleep. Once I get her to fully wake up, she's fine and smiling and happy. So weird. I didn't expect that so young!

I'm trying to enjoy my days with her. I have another month before I have to go back to work. DW will be a stay at home mom. So I'm soaking in all the day time now! I think I've finally transitioned into motherhood. It took awhile, though.Whew! lol.gif

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#8 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Oscar is just over 10 weeks and weighs almost 13 pounds!!  He is so cute and perfect, I love him so much.  I never wanted to have a boy but now that I do I feel stupid for ever feeling that way.  He is such a good baby, always happy and smiling and he sleeps so good too!  It's my almost 2 year old who keeps me awake most nights :).  The transition from 1 child to 2 has been pretty good, there are some days I want to rip my hair out but the good definately outweighs the bad.  There is nothing more precious than watching my daughter hug and kiss all over her baby brother or hearing her tell me "baby Oscar" needs to nurse when he is crying.  I had a wonderful birth with him and felt back to normal almost immediately after he was born.  I am thankful for that because I am not sure how I would have taken care of two otherwise. 

I cannot believe it's been almost 2 months since we have had our babies.  Time goes by too fast.  I hope everyone keeps updating as the babies grow, I love hearing how everyone is doing and love seeing new pictures.  Would anyone be interested in having a facebook group?  It might be kind of cool.

Waiting, not so patiently, to meet our new addition this October
#9 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM

I think a FB group would be great!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#10 of 29 Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Lyndzies - Cady sounds sooo much like my DD as a babe! So mellow and just a sweetheart. She was pretty much happy all the time and just seemed to exude joy! 

Annemarie I hope Sam starts to feel better soon. Are you co-sleeping with him? 

peainthepod - Ben is in 3-6 month clothes too! My DD had the pinky creamy skin you describe and it's delicious. Ben seems to be more olive and I'm unsure where that came from! Good on you for donating some knitting. The recipients will be very lucky indeed.

Beth - wow what a rollercoaster you've been on Mama! It sux when things go pear shaped huh? I really applaud you for exclusively pumping for your little girl. I had a taste of pumping while Ben was in NICU and I cant imagine doing that continuously. You're amazing. Are you on meds for your PPD? I'm so glad that life is good for you now. I still dont feel a super strong bond to Ben like I did with DD, but I think it's due to him being a high-needs babe. Really emotionally exhausting. Whoops my reply to you has turned into a moan about me! But yea, sometimes I dont like him very much. Love him to bits and would give my life for him in a heartbeat, but he's just not very likeable most of the time redface.gif

Breanna - I LOVE your avatar! I love loking back on my birth photos. I have some very similar to that love.gif I'd join a FB group!

#11 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 AM

hi everyone!

phin turned 3 months ( yikes2.gif ) on christmas eve and is as wonderful as ever!  i could literally eat her up on a daily basis. as long as shes got a full belly and isn't tired, she is as happy as can be.  going from 2 kids to 3 has been a bit difficult, even stressful at times but i think we're finally getting the hang of it.  DD just moved into 3-6 month clothes, she's on the smaller side of the spectrum which is odd for me as my first two dds we're quite big.  i'm back down to pre preg weight but things aren't quite the same as they used to be, like uh, where did my butt go, lol?!

would love to join a FB group to keep in contact with this ddc

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#12 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi ladies :)  Hope everyone had a good holiday.  We had a wonderful Christmas.

Finn is 11 weeks old!  I can't believe how fast time goes.  He'll be 3 months old January 12.  Crazy.  He was hands down my fussiest baby in the beginning, but once he got around 6 weeks, his fussiness calmed down a lot.  He's a pretty happy guy now.  Right now he's laying on his floor gym giggling and cooing and trying to grab stuff :)  His sisters just absolutely adore him.  We're so lucky we've never had any sibling rivalry issues (with babies...once they get older it's a different story, lol!)  My 9 year old told me a few weeks ago that she loves him so much sometimes it makes her cry.  How sweet.

Not sure how much he weighs, he doesn't go back for a well baby until Jan 25, but I'm sure he's over 12 pounds now.  He's a chunker.  I love him so much. I was always afraid to have a boy (for a number of reasons) but now that he's here I love him every bit as much as my girls!  It's a little bittersweet because we lost our first son at 16 weeks and we wouldn't have Finn if we didn't lose Dominic.  That's been a little difficult for dh and I both.

Let's see, what else...he's a pretty decent sleeper, most oft the time, though it seems to cycle through.  He'll sleep great for a couple weeks, then he'll have a week where he seems to wake up every hour at night.  But he just nurses and goes back to sleep,so it's not too bad.

Looks like my fertility has returned, which sucks on one hand, but on the other, it makes it much easier to do NFP.  I've lost about 30 pounds of what I gained, I'm stuck now, but probably due to the holidays.  After the new year I need to get serious about eating right and rejoin a gym (my metabolism is super sluggish, I have to work out at least 3x a week to lose weight steadily).  I worked so hard after dd2 to get down to a healthy weight, it's frustrating to have to start all over again, but I know I can do it.

A FB group sounds great!

#13 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 09:28 AM

We do co-sleep with Sam, which helps, but I have trouble falling back asleep after he nurses. He can nurse lying down but still needs some support and a little help with his latch, so I can't sleep through it (yet. :)

A FB group would be great, and I am willing to organize it if no one else has started one. PM me if interested. 

Anne-Marie
#14 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Annemarie- it would be great if you could organize the facebook group.  I don't mind doing it but I have never started one before so I am not exactly sure what to do or how to make it private.  I am sure I could figure it out but if you know how and don't mind then I say go for it :)

Waiting, not so patiently, to meet our new addition this October
#15 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM

I am in one-- she basically created it and then invited the appropriate friends. To make a "secret" group which is the highest privacy level, I think you can only invite friends, as opposed to being able to post a link and have people join. if folks PM me I will send a link to my account, so that we can become friends, and I think we can go from there--

Anne-Marie
#16 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM

The FB group is set up. I have it set as "secret" which hides both the membership and any content.

Anne-Marie
#17 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 PM

So how do we join the FB group?

#18 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Anne-Marie, if you post a URL link to the group we can request to join from there I thinksmile.gif

#19 of 29 Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM

the only way I know how to set up a group is among friends, if you PM me I will send my facebook contact info, then can friend you and put you in the group, once we have it set up we can change/ add admins.

Anne-Marie
#20 of 29 Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 AM

PM'ing you my facebook info now!

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#21 of 29 Old 12-31-2010, 06:34 AM

here is the url so someone can try and see if that works:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_179940102030455&ap=1

eta: does not work.:)

Anne-Marie
#22 of 29 Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 AM

Its so great to see all the updates. James will be two months on Sunday, time flies (but honestly whats worse is that DD will be 3 on the 12th, not sure where those 3 years went).  DD is in love with her little brother, such a little mommy.  James is growing fast, he was around 14lbs yesterday on our scale, almost all of the 0-3month clothes are put away, I feel bad for the people that got him 0-3 clothes for christmas, because those got immediately returned. 

He has some allergy issues that we're working through. So far we know he's allergic to dairy, soy, and tomatoes. Maybe eggs but I'm scared to add them back to my diet, because I hate knowing that something I did caused him pain. mecry.gif Its quite the adjustment to make, but we're working on it.  DH is cute because he loves dairy, but feels bad eating it in front of me, and has been craving pizza for weeks now (which is all kinds of off limits for me), but refuses to get himself one. 

Other than the allergies DS is a happy, lovey baby.  We started doing naked time everynight before bed and he LOVES it.  A friend suggested it, she used it to help her kids roll over, because they were having issues with cloth-diaper-butt getting in the way. lol.gif

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#23 of 29 Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM

So great to read about all the babes.  Clover will be 3 months on Sunday, I can't believe it and it makes me anxious about going back to work in 9 months because those 9 months are going to fly by! The holidays have been really great, DH has 2 weeks off which makes me feel a bit more sane and the weather has been unseasonably warm so we've been able to get out of the house on a daily basis.

Clover is about 13lbs and 26" long(she was 8lbs and 23" when she was born.) and so full of personality, she loves to socialise and go on adventures and if I let her sleep on my chest she would probably sleep 8hours a night, I'd let her but for some reason it makes my sciatica freak out and leaves me in horrid pain after a few hours, I'm going back to my chiropractor and RMT next week, can't wait because it's literally a pain in my butt.

She is puking less on some days,which is nice. Suddenly she's a drooly drooler though and her chin is constantly wet and she wants to have either her fist or a blanket in her mouth. I don't want her teeth to come in because I love her gummy smiles.

People always comment about what a "good" baby she is since she rarely cries(like crying = bad baby! wth?) although she doesn't really get a chance to cry because we are right there before it gets to that stage. She has had crazy neck strength right from the start and tummy time is starting to look like crawl attempt time and roll over any moment time. The little effort noises she makes make me melt!

#24 of 29 Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemarie42 View Post

here is the url so someone can try and see if that works:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_179940102030455&ap=1

Doesn't work for me...

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#25 of 29 Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Didn't work for me, either!

#26 of 29 Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Hi everyone!  Ds is almost 12 weeks old now.  I can't believe how huge this kid is!  He was 16 pounds 8 ounces and 25" at his 2 month appt, and according to our crappy home scale he's about 19 pounds now.  He's already outgrown most of his 6-month clothing, plus thanks to cloth diaper butt, some of his 12-month outfits aren't fitting so well either.  I've lost about 25 pounds with another 15 or so to go.  It'll happen; I'm in no rush.

Things are going great for us now.  Nursing was amazingly painful for me in the beginning.  Ds had a shallow latch, possibly because I have a pretty forceful letdown, and nursing was an exercise in frustration for both of us the first few weeks as my nipples just got more and more injured.  I powered through it though, even resorting to biting my arm as he latched on to distract myself from the stabbing pain, and now that I'm healed it's only painful for the first 30 seconds.  I actually look forward to nursing, which is wonderful!  I continue to look forward to (wait in vain for???) my supply regulating itself.  I still randomly let down between feedings, and I always let down on both sides.  When it comes to getting out of the house, I have to think more about what I need for my boobs than for the baby!  I guess my boobs thought I had twins.

Ds is such a calm, smiley, happy, super alert baby.  We totally lucked out and we know it!  Because of this, we also get lots of "good baby" comments, though I always try to correct them by saying he's an easy baby.  He really only fusses or cries if he's hungry or needs a new diaper.  When he's getting hungry, he will vigorously chew on his hands while grunting and shaking his head.  It cracks me up because it looks like he's angerly eating a tiny ear of corn.  love.gif  He's starting to stare at toys and will occasionally try to reach out and touch something.  He's been holding his huge head up really well and only rarely face-plants into my collarbone anymore.  He smiles all the time and laughs the cutest little baby laughs, which never fail to give him hiccups.

We're still cosleeping, which I mostly enjoy, and he'll eat once or twice during the night.  I'm getting to a point where I'm not sure if he's eating at night only because it's right there or if he still needs to eat.  He certainly has sufficient fat stores!  I may try to get him to sleep in the crib one of these nights.  We're still getting plenty of sleep though, so my motivation is not particularly high, plus I make a ton of milk and get engorged if he goes too long between meals.

I plan to be a stay at home mom for the forseeable future.  I'll go back to finish my degree at some point, but neither of us can imagine leaving ds with someone else right now, especially since we have no family nearby.  I feel very lucky that it's an option for us to do this.  Now I need to figure out how to get more stuff done around the house with a baby who gets offended when he's not in the middle of everything!

I loved reading all your updates!  I can't believe it's been almost a year since ds was conceived.  What an amazing year.

9/2011 items decluttered
#27 of 29 Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Holy crap, that was a huge entry.  Sorry for the novel!

9/2011 items decluttered
#28 of 29 Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM

the facebook group is set up, PM me and I will send along my FB account info so you can friend me and I can add you to the group. We should be adding another admin soon too now that it is set up and starting to have members.

Anne-Marie
#29 of 29 Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Outlier, I loved your novel! You sound so in love with and proud of your little one love.gif Isn't motherhood wonderful!

Anyone else's babe teething, or is Ben the only freakish baby who gets teeth this early?! One tooth has just just broken through! One of the bottom front ones, and the other is not far behind. We joke that it's no wonder he'd been so unsettled, he's been teething since birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page