Mothering Forum banner

DD needs/wants...?

898 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  IntuitiveJamie 
#1 ·
23-month-old DD went through a few horrible bouts of constipation a few months ago, and since then she's been afraid to poop, which leads to cycles of holding it in - which creates discomfort - which perpetuates fear - etc. Ugh! We've tried many different things to help her bowels and mitigate her anxiety about this, and there's been some improvement (eg it seems that she's no longer constipated, but for holding it in; and she goes more often than she used to - at this point, every 3 days). However, pooping is still an ordeal - once she realizes it's imminent, she becomes extremely agitated for at least 30 minutes prior to the event, and takes a while to calm down again afterward. Needless to say, we're eager to see her pooping more regularly, without any physical or emotional pain. So my question is:

How can we further guide her through this/what else might she need to heal from this experience?

(This forum is timely - I am seeking advice from all corners! Thanks in advance for your response.)

#3 ·
Thanks for keeping us posted!

I was thinking about this a little more, and I guess my question, to be even more specific, should probably have been phrased a little more along the lines of: have we already hit on something that's going to ultimately solve the issue (but it's just taking time to work), or do we need to try a different direction?

Anyway, I don't know what if any insights you can provide, but I'm always interested in seeking knowledge from new sources.
Thanks again!

#4 ·
You know, this is the first time I have been asked about someone's bm's before. No, really. So I was having a hard time because I kept trying to find the inner meaning to the issues. And all I keep hearing is, "it hurt her, so shes afraid. She's young and she doesn't understand she's making it worse"
So instead of trying to find some deeper meaning that isn't there, I'll tell you what I'm being told. You are doing good, it's just going to take some time. She'll figure it out.
Good luck!

*Please remember that all questions are answered here on the forum only. I do not accept private pm's for more information on your question.*
If you would like to leave me feedback, you can do so here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/member.php?u=59076
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.