Custody issue - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I have been divorced for 4 years and we have had a physical split custody of our 8 year old daughter for the last 3 years. (equal days with her) My situation is now changing, I am moving in this summer with my soon to be husband and I have asked her father for full custody on school days. He refuses for her to change school and to not see her during the week days.
To avoid bitter court battle I am about to agree to a different visitation schedule which will still keep us half and half but I am having doubts and concern of what is best for my daughter. On one hand I feel she would benefit so much by having one home with more consistency during her school days, on the other hand she is used to seeing us half the week and her school and the impact of going thru a court battle on her might affect her more....
She may very well make that decision for herself someday and I have consulted child therapists and lawyers and I am confused....
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thank you!

Mama to a daughter born in 2002, and new baby due May 4th 2011!!
#2 of 2 Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not seeing the custody agreement changing at all. (the half and half part). I do think she is settled on this way of living and it is her Norm at this point. I do want you to ease up on yourself because I think your daughter is just fine in this situation actually. Stop beating yourself up, this is the way of divorce sometimes. I feel like your daughter is actually quite well adjusted and level headed. I think she has a good head on her shoulders. I think she would be fine with change, but really the energy behind it all, is 'don't rock the boat' at this point.

*Please remember that all questions are answered here on the forum only. I do not accept private pm's for more information on your question.*
If you would like to leave me feedback, you can do so here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/member.php?u=59076
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page