Anyone planning to UP/UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
E & I just made the decision to go that route. Esther was a planned UC, but after 32 hours or so of labor I went to the hospital. She was malpositioned (sunny side up), though, and I was in a lot of conflict with my then-husband, so I do not expect a repeat of that.

I'm going to go a bit more in-depth than I did last time around. I'm planning to keep a notebook of self-prenatal care, including weight, blood pressure, fundal height, etc. We're considering buying a fetal doppler (I know, I know, not necessary, but I think it will be nice to have).

Anyone else?

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM

I've considered it. I'm not sure at this point... my pregnancy that ended in miscarriage was going to be a up/uc. I had a uc miscarriage and it was very empowering.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 01:39 AM

not 100% that im joining you but wanted to join in this discussion..hope its okay

i had midwifery care with my first two beginning at 12 weeks...which is the norm here in canada (i believe).

with my first i had midwives that were fairly medical oriented and did quite a few of the tests that they pushed on me, despite my uncertainty about them. i also had a US at 10 weeks for dating since i didnt know when i had conceived.. they told me things like i could want a homebirth but that a huge percentage of their planned homebirths became hospital transfers.. i always felt unhappy going to my appointments, my bp would go up and i had anxiety.. i decided at 8 months that i was going to move back `home`and find a midwife there and was lucky enough to find a wonderful one who helped me erase all of the fears my prior midwives had instilled in me. i had a wonderful homebirth with my son..bled a bit after and needed pitocin, but was otherwise perfect..

i saw the same MW with my second and had a homebirth with her as well. she was born at 42+2 and 10.5lbs.. she did have some sticky shoulders and i had pitocin for bleeding since it had been an issue before.

with my my third i was living out in the country and didn't have any prenatal care till...6 months along i think. i really felt like i didn't need any care, like my body was doing exactly what it needed to. later on i traveled to see my midwife a few times (over 5 hours away)and at one point she requested a US because of large measurements which i had and turns out she was just positioned funny and my uterus was stretched out i guess. she was big at that point so i didnt see much, but confirmed my knowing that she was a girl.. she was born at my moms home in the city..42 +2 weeks like my other dd.. i did pretty well all of the work. i think my MW checked her HB 3 times but i broke my own waters and caught her in the tub. a truly perfect birth..

her birth made me feel like if i were ever to have another baby i would definitely do it UC..

so, i am strongly considering UP & UC.. but i think mostly because i live even farther away (10 hours now) and have a hard time seeing myself birthing with any other MW.. also knowing i wouldn't want to travel again to birth. the MW in my town is a friend so i know i could go see her at anytime if i needed anything..i feel like i would be very confident ucìng and def. plan to UP at least the first while..
i really feel like, even with a midwife being super awesome, i still had to hear all of the info and statistics, decline all of the tests and ultrasounds, doppler ect. and i would rather just be..and not have to think about those things.. i would decline everything they offered anyways, and honetsly never would have been concerned about my 3rd baby measuring big had i been doing my own care..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 AM

WIth my last pregnancy I was UP & UC during most of it because I was visiting family in Texas for half a year and didn't have access to a good midwife. My sister is a nurse and I ordered a fetoscope and the sticks to pee on from ebay My sister and I did it ourselves. It was a bonding thing - and empowering. Then I came back to Seattle and had to go with my midwife for a homebirth. I'm going with her this time too. It is free (covered by insurance) and I adore her as a close friend. I like sharing it with her.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#5 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

MamaFern, it sounds like you're already more than halfway there. It's definitely a lot easier to do things yourself than decline unneeded tests--I got into an argument with a doctor once about that! (Well, actually, I've gotten into a lot of arguments with doctors...)

I'm now wondering what DF's family will have to say...I'm thinking it won't be too hard to keep on the DL. I'm starting a pregnancy/baby blog, and I'll probably post about prenatal care there without mentioning I'm the one doing it.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#6 of 13 Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM

I just found out today that I'm pregnant, and I'm just getting started on the forums here, but this is a great post to find in the due date club. I'm planning a UC. It won't be UP, entirely, because I've had two miscarriages before, and I'm having a doctor help me STAY pregnant this time. So, at least for a little while, I'll be seeing a Dr. Once I'm out of the initial danger zone, though, I'll probably go it alone from there, and hopefully all the way to the birth.

Demeter, I had a UC miscarriage a couple of years ago, and I agree with you that it was empowering.
#7 of 13 Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
yep, my UP/UC was amazing. no way could i go back unless i absolutely had to. i honestly think its one of the reasons wanted to get pg right away

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 AM

I'm sorry I am new to all this. I am tring to figure out what uc and up stand for. I tried to google it but no luck.
#9 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 03:14 AM

UP = unassisted pregnancy, meaning no medical professional prenatal care (usually mama does her own prenatal care)

UC = unassisted childbirth, meaning birthing on your own without a medical professional present.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#10 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM

sagesgirl:

errosissa, congrats! sorry for your losses.. i think you are wise for seeking help in a situation like this and waiting till you feel safe going it on your own. mothers wisdom!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#11 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We may or may not be in this camp. My 4th was a UC/UP with a hospital transfer for pph. I am trying to find a midwife this time around because I think it would be easier to have someone around to give an extra hand for clean up and just in case with another bleeding episode. But if she doesn't work out, we will UC.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm in! I'm not sure if I'll UP, but I'm almost certain that I'll UC again. I'm a little nervous though because my last UC went so flawlessly, I just don't know if I can have such a perfect birth twice in a row, you know? It's silly, but it's my one fear. I have awhile to work it out though, and if I really feel uneasy, I'll get a midwife :]

Glad to see so many UC'ers in my new DDC!

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
#13 of 13 Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM

I had a c-section last time (UP -- and I KNEW something was wrong, and I was right!), so this time my husband asked me to do the whole OB/hospital thing, just to be sure everything is still ok after the surgery.

But I want to offer support and encouragement for everyone planning UP/UC. You can do it!

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page