Mothering Forum banner

A thread for the homebirthers!

4K views 82 replies 40 participants last post by  karen1968 
#1 ·
I figured this would be a good place to chat and share our plans/fears etc.

We are planning our 2nd homebirth. However our first we didn't homebirth because of some PTL issues that arose and by the time we made it to full term my DH was a little scared of a homebirth. But our midwife stayed with us through a great hospital birth.

This time we have our own home now and I am really looking forward to having our homebirth. This is our last baby. I"m super excited I will be telling our MW on tuesday

So I know I"m not the only one out there.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm quite certain this time I'll be birthing at home. Hubby and I discussed it after our daughter was born (she's our 4th) and decided that hospital experiences have just been awful all around for us. I need to call the midwife at my doc's office and see if she's interested in delivering us and see what her costs will be.
I can't see myself delivering any other way this time.

#3 ·
All 5 of my babes have been born at home and we'll plan the same for this one, too. Its been an amazing experience each time, I couldn't imagine it any other way. We've used the same CPM for our last 4 kiddos' births so hopefully we can use her this time, too.

#4 ·
I really hope I get my homebirth this time. I planned one last time but we ended up transferring to hospital, and ended up with more interventions than I'd hoped or planned for. But I'm game to try it again, and I think this being a second baby things will go much smoother.

#6 ·
homebirthing mama here.. all three of our children were born at home.. 2 of the 3 were 42 weekers and completely healthy. we had the same midwife for all of their births and i had a friend as a doula for the first two..she is now a midwife.

#7 ·
I have had several visions (before getting pg) of a homebirth, and I'm super excited to talk with my doula about it. We'll figure out the best midwife for me (I'm thinking it's a midwife I work with) and it's going to be great. DH said "Isn't that for women who have had like 20 children?" (his Grandmother, in Mexico, gave birth at home to 12 of her 14 children since there was no hospital). He is worried about it, but I told him everything will be fine. He always says no to things I want to do, and then once he sees how awesome (and cheaper!) it will be, he always agrees in the end.

#8 ·
I'm hoping for a homebirth... I'm not positive where I'll be living at the moment... either in the house I'm in or my parents house... either should be okay for a homebirth... the trick with the parents is convincing them a homebirth is okay though. lol

Ugh... um, I have some ideas on midwives in the area but need to contact them about payment plans and such.

I'm already in touch with a doula.

My biggest fear is really just financial and working out a feasible payment plan.

I have known for sometime now that if I ever had another baby I wanted a homebirth. I did the hospital with a midwife with DD and it was so unrestful and the drive in... UGH!!! No way.

I have full faith in my body and have no fears in the whole labor area... I had a 43 hour labor w/ DD and after that I sort of feel I could get through anything. lol

Now to keep that all in my head as I go forward!

#9 ·
Our first was a hospital birth, which was super awesome, but that might have a lot to do with our super crunchy geographical location and the fact that the nurses and our family practitioner who delivered DS1 have seen the gamut of natural childbirth requests--and are glad to honor them. It was great, so if we end up in the hospital I will feel okay about it.

DS2 was born at home. His labor was SO difficult. He was high up and acynclitic, and it was a painful 23 hour labor. Our midwives were so amazing, and through some very uncomfortable for me handi work, helped get my son into the birthing canal, and pop! Out he came! It was such a difficult and unexpected birth (DS1 came so easy), that I told DH I didn't think I would ever feel comfortable being at home again. But honestly, as we process that birth we realized how essential it was for us to experience that difficult situation in our home. I was telling my midwife just last night that I think having DS2 at home kept us honest to our birth values. If we had been in the hospital, I think I would have been consenting to WHATEVER as long as they GOT the baby OUT!

Anyway, DH says it is up to me where we have this baby. I'm thinking home, at this point. Of course, this time I will be praying for the peaceful, gentle-feeling birth I had hoped for with DS2. But I will be stalwart in knowing it might be another tough one. Either way, accomplishing what we did with DS2 gave me a lot of confidence in myself that carried over to other areas of my life.

#11 ·
We're considering a homebirth. DD was born in the hospital, though the OB missed the birth
I love my OB for the first tri when I'm a nervous wreck, but after that, I like to be left largely to my own devices. Right now I have an established relationship with our local hospital birth midwifery group, and that will be my fallback option -- but we'll be interviewing homebirth midwives starting in a couple of weeks as well. If DH seems comfortable with one or more of them, we'll proceed with that plan. I think I'd be fine in the hospital with the midwives (they respect a woman's right to labor naturally), but I would really prefer to avoid the hospital altogether -- it's just not the most welcoming of places.

#12 ·
I had a hb with the baby I birthed, and dp is planning a home birth with the baby she's carrying. She is very anti-hospital about birth.

#13 ·
I just talked to our local homebirth midwife this morning. She is planning to take off Nov. and Dec. of this year, but it sounded like she might consider doing our birth??? We're meeting with her on Thursday. Our daughter was born at a great birthing center in VT, but we recently moved to CT and I'm not excited about any of the hospitals around here...so I am REALLY hoping she'll do our birth!

#14 ·
This thread is a great idea! We're planning our second homebirth. We had a homebirth with DS and I can't imagine it any other way. Amazing!!!
We are going to begin interviewing MW in the next few weeks. DS's birthday was today, so we wanted to celebrate that before we started looking for MW

It will be fun to chat with you ladies about our plans for HB.

Yummama - Good Luck! I hope that the MW that you talked to will attend your birth. Are there no other MW in your area who could attend if she can't?

#15 ·
I'm excited! I called our midwife today our first appt is in our home april 17th.
that is so close. We figured out my due date too we are going to put me somewhere around the 7th of november and later will change if the 20 week ultrasound shows a big discrepancy. I'm so excited I cannot wait for our homebirth in our new home.

#16 ·
That is the one weird thing I have an odd emotion on... I already know we have no plans on staying in this house. But we can't afford to move right now. Just kind of sucks to have something so amazing happen in a house and to one day leave it behind... anyone else know what I mean?

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
That is the one weird thing I have an odd emotion on... I already know we have no plans on staying in this house. But we can't afford to move right now. Just kind of sucks to have something so amazing happen in a house and to one day leave it behind... anyone else know what I mean?
I sorta know what you mean...I was married at my parents' home, and they're going to sell their house in the next year or two. But I remind myself that my memories will always go with me, even if I won't have access to the physical spot in the future.

Same thing with this potential homebirth -- we likely won't stay in this house forever, and I have to be okay with that, even if newbaby is born here. I'll always have my memories to take with me!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSMa View Post

i totally know. my son and youngest daughter were born at my mothers house since we were living out of town, away from my midwife at the time.. i know that i can always go there and remember how amazing it was..my middle daughter was born in a rental house in the big city and i do feel sad that we will never be able to go there..that i will never be able to show her the room that she was born in.
this time we are going to buy a house, so it will be the first baby born in our own very own house. i think it really comforts me knowing that.
i think the way you are feeling is very normal. birth is a huge experience. its life changing. we want these things to happen in a sacred space, as much as it isn't always possible.

#20 ·
I actually never even thought of that fact that I won't see that room again... The only thing I was upset about was that the new owners uprooted my placenta tree. Argh.

#21 ·
This is my first baby and we are doing a home birth. My friend who was a midwife in Michigan flew over to New York in January and helped me interview midwives before I was even pregnant. It was great. The only unhappy part is that the homebirth midwifes in New York City are in such demand that they are taking 8 to 10 births a month. Which mean there is a good change your midwife will be at someone elses birth when you have your baby. If that happens they call another midwife to come to your birth. So I guess the best you can do is get know as many of the midwives as possible. It is kinda sad because this part of the reason we pick midwives instead of doctors.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post
The only thing I was upset about was that the new owners uprooted my placenta tree. Argh.
Yup, that would break my heart! We planted DS's placenta (which spent over a year in our freezer first) tree last summer, and I would be so sad if anything ever hapened to it.

In Nov. we'll be having our second baby in this house. I don't think that we'll ever be able to move now.

#23 ·
My fluid went too low last time, and I ended up being induced and then having a cesarian. I certainly don't want to go through all that again!! I'm planning another homebirth, but whether it happens at my home or the midwife's is yet to be determined. I'd prefer it be at home, but I'd prefer her place to the hospital. I guess we'll see! I really just want it in my house!

#24 ·
i saved the placenta from my son & daughters because i wanted to find a special place to plant them. we took them with us wherever we went for years and finally last summer i decided to let them rest by the river in the town we were living. it was a beautiful place, and remote but public so we can always go back.. i think i'm going to eat this one so it wont need to be planted, but since we are planning to buy a house if we do end up wanting to i guess we will do it there. it seems so far off!

#25 ·
We had our first in a hospital (c/s, due to failure to wait by the docs), and two more at home. We'll definitely be birthing at home, again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.