MoM - how to keep up with laundry?! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always washed and dried my loads of laundry (with 5 of us it is constant) and then folded them every few nights during a long movie. It has worked for me for years. I keep them in my laundry room for 2-3 days and then the 3rd day fold at night, next morning put them away before DH leaves for work.

Suddenly my nausea and fatigue seem to eclipse other pregnancies - yet I have more kids this time around. I am never able to fold at night - I just want to crawl in bed around 8pm! We have so much to do all day, and when I've tried to do it with kids, the 1.5 yo tosses them to the wind.

Give me some ideas, mommies! Inspire me to tackle my mountain of laundry before it rivals Mt. Rainier

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 12:45 AM

I have Mt. Saint Laundry going on as well... no advice other than I know I'll catch up on it at some point. Trying not to stress over it lol!

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
about once a month im done the laundry..the other days i have piles and loads washing and loads drying and loads waiting to be put away... i really need to simplify the cloth in my house.. its something i will be working on the next few months.

Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.... mama of 4 lovelies, an angel, and one on the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did you ever see the Seinfeld were Newman explains why postal workers have such a bad stereotype? "The mail, it never stops, it just keeps coming and coming, it never ends!!!". This is how I look at laundry, as long as we are wearing clothing I will never be caught up, so I do what I can to keep some clean clothes around, lol!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#5 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Five of us here, too...
My time-savers:
I don't separate and I have not noticed a difference.
Priority 1 is keeping everything washed and dried. They can always paw through the clean pile for something to wear.

oh, and just don't wash it if it's not dirty... like adult/teen pants and sweatshirts can get a couple wearings. Give everyone their own towel hanger so they aren't a one-time use. Switch to thinner or smaller towels -- not giant fluffy bath sheets.
#6 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM

if ever there was a mothers day i could use the gift of a laundry fairy this mothers day is it.....

Mommy to AnnaLee Betty Born July 4th 2008
and my Fur Baby Natasha my Great Dane Boxer
#7 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM

I haven't been caught up with the laundry since we had just 3 kids. Now I have a big basement where I can throw it all and pretend like it doesn't exist for much of the day. That's not the best strategy, but it keeps me somewhat sane. About once a week I send my 3 girls (ages 10, 8, and 6) and my oldest boy (5) down to sort it into little mountains. We have a basket where we collect dirty socks and underwear, and then another basket for the clean articles. Each child (except for the littlest one, he's 2.5) is responsible for matching a pair of clean socks and finding clean underwear for the next day.

I'm wishing upon a star for an Alice to save me from the laundry monster in my basement. To this day, my mother (who only had 2 kids, btw) insists that I would be able to stay caught up if I would "just do 2 or 3 loads a day". Um, yeah. That's what it takes to keep everyone in clean clothes every day. She's not allowed to even *peek* into my basement when she visits.
#8 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 PM

I don't separate either - haven't had a problem with whites getting stained. One caveat is that I wash anything brand new on its own before I wash it with anything else.

I either fold laundry in the morning while oldest is at Kindy and the other two are playing quietly, or dh and I fold together at night while we watch something on TV. I am rarely on top of the laundry - thank goodness my kids have lots of hand-me-downs! (They have way more clothes than I do) I also make sure that anything that they're wearing that isn't dirty goes back in their drawer at the end of the day. This alone has cut down on my amount of laundry significantly.

Does anyone use a clothesline? Dh will be setting one up for me this summer, and I'm really excited! It'll definitely cut our electricity bill...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#9 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 AM

I have to separate because I have ruined several of my husband's nice shirts by not washing them properly. I have to carefully go through the laundry to find his shirts, wash them separately and carefully, and I still ruined a shirt not too long ago by drying it on too high heat.

As I understand it, there are two schools of thought on this. I have a friend with 12 children who swears by washing laundry one day a week. She devotes the entire day to it, and carries around an egg timer to remind her to go put in the next load. I prefer to do a little every day, typically three loads a day. One thing we both agree on is that you must fold the clothes as they come out of the dryer, and put them away immediately, to prevent Mt. Folds-A-Lot from piling up!

I heartily recommend the book Lord, Please Meet Me In The Laundry Room, written by said friend-with-12-kids, Barbara Curtis. It's an awesome take on using laundry time as prayer time, and other mothering topics.

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#10 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are only 5 of us so far and I am NEVER caught up on laundry. I'm sure we have too much, but with 3 boys, things add up quickly!

For a while, I was doing really well and was WAY closer to being caught up, then I think we had family come in, so I stopped, and totally lost the inertia. My problem is really with just getting all folded, and if I don't then it's wrinkled, so I fluff it again then forget, etc. Ack! I so hate that. I am really, really hoping that I don't get too far behind now with being pg. I mean, further behind.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#11 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I'm just now responding. Awesome support, ladies Thanks! I probably get caught up twice a month. I just keep mt. laundry stowed away in the laundry room till then - but I'll try to do better.

I rarely separate loads, but I do if it is a new article of clothing or something special. I also use an indoor clothes line that spans the length of my laundry room. I live in Seattle, so outdoor ones aren't a good investment

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page