Tell me what's for dinner - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I mentioned in another thread my ms is at it's worst in the evening. Cooking dinner is a test of my strength. I was hoping some of you might have some dinner ideas that are easy, fast and nutritous. I don't think my family will let me make grilled chicken and pasta every night for the next 3 weeks.

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, so I don't have any good advice but I know exactly how you feel! DH is getting shortchanged in the dinner department. Do you have a crock pot? You could get things prepared early in the day when you feel better and then you have a ready to go meal (if you can stand the cooking smell all day).

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#3 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a whole recipe book from the gooseberry patch that is ALL slow cooker recipes. This has been a life saver!!! I go through, pick out the weeks meals, go shopping and that's all I do all week! I never know how I'm going to feel at dinner, usually pukey though, so I throw it in early, and have it done when DH gets home. Even if I don't feel like eating there are 5 others here I NEED to feed, and we can't afford to order in.
And: Stitches, you are right on! That is a huge draw back, having to smell it .

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif

#4 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Dinner? Food? That's so gross. Why would you say such things?

We've been eating out too much as I can't stand seeing/being near food.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 PM

I am lucky to have a dh who cooks! Some days I'm fine at dinner, some days I feel awful, so he happily fills in on the days I need to be in bed. I don't seem to have too many food smell triggers this pregnancy (just the stinky garbage and compost), so that helps in the food prep department.

What about teaching your dh one or two easy meals? (assuming he gets home in time to make them, that is)

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#6 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Dinner? Food? That's so gross. Why would you say such things?

We've been eating out too much as I can't stand seeing/being near food.
You took the words right out of my mouth!
#7 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM

Broccoli mushroom noodle casserole tonight. Recipe:
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 chopped onion
a few tbsp olive oil
(Sautee all of the above for a few minutes)
1 bag egg noodles
(boil then add to the veggies)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
2-3 eggs
1 cup mozz or cheddar cheese
(mix all these together, then add to the veggies and noodles)

Add some more cheese on top, cover, bake for about an hour at 350. Voila.

Whenever I need a "fall back" meal that is quick and easy, I either make:

goulash or baked ziti (elbow macaroni or ziti, tomato sauce and ground beef, maybe an onion if I'm feeling fancy, seasoned with basil and pepper and garlic. For the ziti, I add cheese on top and bake at 350 for 40 minutes)

ham and scalloped potatoes (the white sauce takes a few minutes to make, but it's pretty quick and easy. Ham, potatoes, onion, and the white sauce I make is just 4 tbsp butter melted with 4 tbsp flour, then slowly stir in 4 cup milk over medium heat, and constantly stirred until thickened, usually about 10 minutes)

beef stew (throw beef, carrots, potatoes, onions, seasoning, and gravy in crcokpot. I even buy baby carrots so I don't have to cut them. Doesn't get much easier than that!)

Obviously I'm not vegetarian, but I do have some great vegetarian meals as well. If you want more details on any of those recipes, or more veggie dishes, let me know.

ETA: clearly I'm one of those obnoxious, lucky preggos that doesn't get morning sickness! I know, you hate me. But if it makes you feel any better, I gain way too much weight in the first trimester eating for two when it's really not necessary! :P

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#8 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 PM

Yes--the crock pot is your best friend!

Personally, i can't do sweets lately, but breakfast for dinner is awesome--waffles, pancakes, etc. I made egg omlettes the other day.

Past few nights it was pizza delivery (folic acid in the crust! lol), stir fry (cooks very quick, and you can cut up the meat and veggies earlier in the day, or use frozen) over brown rice, and TJs non-cured hot dogs w/a ton of sauerkraut and mustard!

Also, use your staples to make a variety of foods. Grill the chicken, put on top of brown rice and top w/gravy (mix in some corn or peas if you like). Make ranch wraps--grilled chicken w/mixed veggies, shredded cheese, lettuce and ranch dressing in your fave wrap. Grilled chicken tacos, soft or hard shell, served with yellow rice or rice&beans. Mix the chicken and pasta and top w/vodka or alfredo sauce. Top fresh mixed baby greens and slice peppers with grilled chicken strips, mozz cheese, and w/e type of dressing they like.

In a pinch, make your own heros/rolls, oatmeal bar (fresh oatmeal w/as many diff toppings as you can think of--dried or fresh berries, maple syrup, choco chips, brown sugar, nuts, etc), buffet style leftovers where everyone takes a little bit of everything left over.

Most of those dishes can be made ahead of time when you're feeling up to it, and reheated or throw together when you're ready to eat.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#9 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have to admit my kids have been eating a lot of toast these days.. granted, its good local grainy sourdough bread..but yeah. And you know what? I really don't feel bad about it. We have been having lots of fresh fuits and veggies, yogurt, cereal ect as well. i love to cook usually but most of the time right now i just cant. dp likes to make oven fries, so they have quite a lot of those as well.. last night i did muster the energy to make home-made flour tortillas (made with home ground local kamut flour) which we ate hot off the pan with refried beans, cheese, lettuce, green onions (not me) and cucumbers...lots of hot sauce as well. it was super yummy and i felt good actually cooking something healthy.
i did but perogies at the grocery store today. the ones we like (cottage cheese and potato) were on sale for 2 something a bag and although i generally don't buy these kind of things i just had to... for my sanity!

my queasiness seems to have lessened to mild, but things still trigger it and smells, cooking and or having an empty stomach do it well...

great slow cooker ideas! i don't have one ( i do have a clay baker, but not a plug in one) and i have a feeling the small of much cooking would make me want to avoid my own home right now..

nag champa incense is my good friend these days

Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.... mama of 4 lovelies, an angel, and one on the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For some reason Asian food always sounds good to me. I sure have been wanting soy sauce! Tonight I made pot stickers and green beans (DS loves pot sticker night!).

Do you have a grill? Last night DH cooked some buffalo burgers on the grill outside and I just had to handle the salads and popping some potatoes in the oven.

I'm very lucky in that eating solves my queasiness instead of causing it. Which means that I probably eat too much to keep the nausea at bay!

Vegan family since 2011 - DS1 1/08, DS2 11/10, DS3 6/14
#11 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot my old standby (pregnant or not) is 'Breakfast for Supper'. Pancakes, usually. Easy on the queasy tummy too.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#12 of 14 Old 03-31-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Last night I ended up asking dh to bring something home. It was a really bad night. I think I caught my girls cold and it's making my ms that much worse (at least I hope that's what it is or the next few weeks will be a nightmare).

Loving my dh, two girls ages 6 and 3 and my baby boy born on Halloween 2010. Missing my angel 9/08
#13 of 14 Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

i am also a huge huge slow cooker fan, but i been using my pressure cooker as well. just finished a pot roast in 40 mins. Going to look up that slow cooker book thanks for the tip
MaryLang

Mommy to AnnaLee Betty Born July 4th 2008
and my Fur Baby Natasha my Great Dane Boxer
#14 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Some of these recipes have really been great! keep them coming!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page