What do you "do" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious and want to get to know you ladies a little better. Are you stay at home, or work at home or work out of home? Any students?

I stay at home with my 1 year old, but am also finishing my master's degree in education, which requires me to student teach for two, 6 week sessions. I start the first 6 weeks May 3rd, and I'm so nervous! This will be the first time since Wyatt was born that I am "working" out of the house, and I'm pregnant and tired, and not exactly looking forward to it. Luckily I will then have the whole summer off, and won't have to do the next 6 weeks until fall. And then I'll be certified to teach elementary school Although I won't be looking for a job until fall 2011, which gives me almost a full year to stay at home with this baby and my son How about you?

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#2 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm currently at home. I'm an RN, I took 18 months off, worked a temporary job for a few months and am now back at home. I don't particularly want to work right now as I'd rather be raising my kid, and the job situation for nurses here is terrible right now...I couldn't get a job if I wanted one. That being said, I miss the chance to get out of the house, make money and talk to adults. I hate having to ask my husband for money. It feels so weird. Finances are for sure tighter for us now but I feel like there will be lots of time for me to work when my kids are older. They are only this age once, right? If I wasn't pregnant I might pursue something part time but since I am I lack the motivation. I'd like to make a career change but I don't know to what yet...I was hoping I'd figure that out when I was home but I haven't yet and it's been 2 years!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#3 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 PM

I am a special education teacher specializing in working with preschool age children with Autism. Since having my son I have been a behavioral tutor for children with autism. Although in the last 2 months I have taken a nanny position taking care of another 3 year old along with my own.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#4 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM

I'm a stay at home mama but I started my own business up about a year ago, I make and sell mama cloth. I find it very rewarding and really enjoy when I'm busy. It has swings and sways, I'm currently in a lull. Eventually I'd like to do that and doula possibly go into midwifery though the current climate here is pretty darn hostile to midwives.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#5 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 PM

I've been at home full time for the past almost 7 years since my oldest was born.
#6 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm an RN and up until this January I worked at a free-standing birth center. I had to quit because I started my clinicals for midwifery school there. I have 17 more babies to catch and I'll be done with school. Hopefully I'll be able to take my boards for certification this summer. I am soooo ready to be done with school!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#7 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM

I am joyfully a full-time domestic engineer (ie--housewife)! The first four years of our marriage, DH was working on his master's, and I agreed to work full-time to help get him through school. I worked at a private fine arts Pre-K, which was both wonderful and awful. I grew to love it over time, but I definitely don't miss working outside the home. When we moved to Southern IL after DH finished school, we agreed that I would be able to stay home. Although it has been tight financially at times, the Lord has always met our needs. Now that I am pregnant and getting ready to start our family, I am really glad I can be here and 'nest.' I get out and talk with adults often enough for me with church activites, and I do have alot of hobbies to keep me busy with things besides housework. (Not to mention taking care of 4 pets, which could be considered a nearly full-time job itself!) Plus, I have a small online craft shop, which brings in just enough occasional cash to feed my crochet habit!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#8 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 PM

I'm a full-time college student (mostly doing online courses) and a stay-at-home mom. I am homeschooling both of my girls including my youngest who has a form of autism. I have a small home business making and selling organic and natural bath and body products on etsy, but I haven't been doing much with it lately. Way too tired.

Amber (31) - Married to my high school sweetheart for 13 years, mom of 4 amazing kids (ages 12, 8, 3, and 16 months), homeschooler, and expecting our 5th child around May 18th!
#9 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM

I am now 100% at home with DS.

In my past life, I was a Vet Tech that got to work 1-2 Saturdays per month after DS was born, but they decided they didn't want a pregnant Vet Tech working Saturdays. So here I am! I'm still mourning the loss of my other identity. It was nice to have a part of my life that saw me as something other than just a mom.

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

#10 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 PM

i stay at home with my daughter. i was working in an after-school program, and before that did some retail (art supplies and then i was a buyer for whole foods). i have a fine arts degree but don't really know how to network to get going in my field (painting). i would like to have my own crafty sort of business someday, maybe.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#11 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM

I'm a full-time SAHM and soon-to-be homeschooling mom of 3 (not including baby!)
#12 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 PM

I'm a full time student. Pre-nursing right now, but I'll be switching to English (emphasis Creative Writing, minor in teaching) as soon as I get around to it. Because of this pregnancy I'm going to stick around my community college one more year and take classes completely online next year. DH & I are working toward me being a SAHM again. I'm working on a novel, & I plan to have that finished by the time I have the baby finished.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#13 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 PM

As my username suggests, I am a midwife. I grew up wanting to be an OB/Gyn, but that's a whole other story, and I am so happy that life had other plans for me. I started training when DD#2 was just 2 mos. old, and I have been working while breastfeeding and/or pregnant since then, with a few months worth of breaks here and there while this one was getting mobile but still nursing exclusively, or that one was a tiny newborn. It has been very challenging being a midwife and a momma at the same time, but I am very blessed to have a supportive husband who also has a flexible schedule because he owns his own business. Oh, and I also went to massage therapy school after my last baby was born to be able to offer that service to my clients.
#14 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 10:37 PM

I'm expecting #1 and am still pretty young , so I am still in College. Working on my Biology degree with a minor in Chemistry and Psychology. DH is in medical school now so I had to switch to online classes to move far away with him..however, I cram in my sciences every chance I get and am still ahead of schedule! I am a momma to my two furbabies..they're great! I am also an active volunteer in a few animal rescue teams, so they takes up most if not all of my spare time. After I graduate, I have a few options..going on to get my masters degree in Biology..I LOVE fieldwork and working with plants and animals. I worked in the neonatal ICU for a long time along with the pediatric unit..I love babies and children and my ultimate dream is to be a Neonatologist. I've seen so many crazy situations and babies in need along with many miracles..really inspires me. My third option is to go to dental school to become a pediatric dentist. Honestly, all three sound very appealing and I would love to be super woman and do all three! However, I plan on staying home for the first full year once this baby is born (I will only have a few classes left after this summer that I can take online) then I will decide which path to take..no rush though. Baby always comes first.

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#15 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 PM

I am a single divorced mamma of 4 earthly boys and one in heaven. I work full time first shift and am currently getting my bachelor degree in Science. I then plan to get my RN Bachelor degree, then I plan on getting my midwife degree. I am still looking into whether or not I can combine the latter 2 degrees in my area logically without having to move to NYC, which I wont do. I am looking into Cornell and Binghamton University, neither of which have a true midwife program, ad I am trying to figure things out.

Oh yea, probably wondering why I'm pregnant and single, me too,lol It was a surprise, to say the least, but I welcome this little surprise. Life is what you make of it, everything will be fine. Now, if I can just figure out how to change the earths gravitational pull so I have more hours during the day.......

A single mom, a student, and an aspiring midwife. Due with number 6 November 13th edd
#16 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 PM

I've been a stay at home wife and then mom for the past four years. I started getting the itch to do something "just for me" this past January, and will be starting TWO jobs in the next couple of weeks! Crazy how it came together so quickly! The first job is working for the 2010 Census as an enumerator - I will be knocking on the doors of people who didn't turn in their form. The work is completely not guaranteed, and not for more than 8 weeks, so good or bad it will be over by the end of June. The 40 hours of training are fully paid, however, so I'll be making at least enough to cover 1/6 of my homebirth The second job is working about 12 hours a week at a local yarn store that opened recently near my house. It will be one weeknight and one weekend day per week, which I figure is just about perfect - I get some time to be something other than Mom, we don't need to secure childcare (so the money isn't going right back out), and DH gets to spend lots of time with DS, which they both enjoy.

I keep going back and forth on the census work, but I figure if it pays for most of the homebirth, it will be worth it!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#17 of 51 Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm yet another nursing student. I graduate in two weeks.

I'm looking for a job after that, because we really need the money/insurance, and, in this job market, I'd rather try for a job sooner after graduation than later. However, I can't say I really like the idea of working my first several months as a new grad while pregnant.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#18 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 AM

I'm a full time stay at home mama. I'm an amature photog but I don't have working equipment right now. My hobbies are research and knitting.
#19 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM

I've been a stay at home wife & mom since I got married 6 years ago.

I was a nanny for 4 girls & shortly after I got married so did the mother of the girls ~ so she didn't need me anymore. I got pregnant like a month later & we just decided it would be easier if I stayed home.

~Bekah~ wife to Richard ~ mom to 4 on earth & 4 in heaven
20****25****30****35***40
#20 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 AM

I'm a full time stay at home mom. In my previous life, I was an elementary music teacher. I plan to go back to work when the kids are in school (not for a while!), but I probably won't go back to teaching, which begs the question: "What do I want to do when i grow up?"

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#21 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 AM

Full time labor & delivery nurse (nights). No idea how long I'm going to be able to keep this up, but seeing as how I'm a single mother....sigh...anyway....

I'm also a doula, but not actively taking any clients at the moment. I teach childbirth classes as well, though few and far between.

I try to write in my "free time" but it's hard with all my other obligations (my son, my job, my boyfriend, housework, cooking, being exhausted and nauseated w/the pregnancy, etc). I'm in the fetal stages--lol--of writing a novel and in the embryonic stages--ha--of writing a pregnancy/labor/delivery book for teens.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#22 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 AM

I am an actress. I love what I do because I get to spend a lot of time at home with my girls. I used to model-never really liked it. We already had our first DD and being a mom often did not go along with most of the bs modeling involved...I transitioned into acting-much nicer world! I mainly do commercials, not film/tv. That's what allows me to spend lots of time with the kiddies, and that is very important to me. My DH is in the same industry,he is more seriously into acting though. I like that DH and I do the same thing.
Whenever I am pregnant though, I love to do maternity modeling It is very different because it is usually all about love and peace and baby. I hope I get to work this time around!

I am also a photographer-babies and children. I've always loved shooting but about 4 years ago I invested in equipment and took it up a notch. When I shoot, time stops for me, I love it that much. I am now working on my website, and this pregnancy induced laziness is not helping. My friends say that I am amazing and that I need to stop procrastinating and really turn this into a business. I recently started to, and I like what has happened so far. Now I need to get off my lazy behind.

Another thing i love to do is interior decorating of children's rooms. I would most love to do this for a living! I love to come up with a concept, and do the whole thing myself from start to finish. I love painting murals. The girls playroom now has their silhouettes painted in a sandy beige color over pale peach walls, and they are at the beach. It is my most favorite room I have done to date. I am going crazy excited trying to figure out how I am going to paint in the new baby (God willing).

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#23 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 AM

I work part time for the local art museum as the director of their outreach program. Once babe is born, I "should" be able to work partially from home, as that is what the former director did.
#24 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 AM

What a great thread! It is so interesting to see all of the different things you Mamas do!

I currently stay at home with my DS. I never could quite decide on a "career," I went to college for a year majoring in Art Education, then decided I wanted to be a hairstylist, so I went to school for that and worked at an upscale Aveda salon for 3.5 years. I didn't love the fast-paced environment, and I have some anxiety issues so it just didn't feel like the right "fit" for my life. So then I decided I wanted to go back to school to pursue an art degree, possibly in graphic design or illustration. I took a night class at a community college and started working for a Photographer doing office work, and she taught me Photoshop and I began doing photo retouching and desinging marketing materials, etc for her. It was a really fun job, but then I got PG with DS! After he was born, I decided to stay home. I still do some hair on the side, friends, family, people from church, etc. which is nice to have a little extra income! But I think after this next baby is born I will have to stop doing that.. which is ok with me because it isn't something I really love to do. Right now I don't have many hobbies that I actually keep up with, but I love to paint/draw, photography (I do take lots of pictures of DS.. ), and I love to read. I also love the spring/summer, the beach, and camping.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#25 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm home for my three boys

I have a BS and an MBA, but would rather live simply and be around for them.

I do volunteer work and watch a friend's baby some days... life is never dull

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#26 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM

I am an engineer and switched to a part time schedule after DD was born. I work three days a week and she goes to an in home daycare. It is a really nice balance for us and she loves her friends.

I hope to be able to continue the part time schedule indefinately.

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#27 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

I teach high school English at a very cool public school academy. I stayed home for the first two years with DD, but DH has had some job issues and with the terrible economy, we were nervous, so before my tenure expired I went back "part time" (nearly a full day's work every day, often more with grading and having extra meetings all the time). I am just waiting for DH to find a new job so I can quit for next school year, and be a SAHM once again. I imagine some day wanting to find something like tutoring or grading ETS essays online and the like, but for now I really just want to be a SAHM and homeschool and work on my own writing.

ETA: DH works some contract work from home, and works on the business his family is trying to start up (he's a programmer), so we tag-team care for DD. It's exhausting and I'm ready to go back to having one SAHP and one regular working parent. It might be a great balance later when our kids are much older, but right now the balance feels all off. The fact that DD needs ME at night/mornings still doesn't help!
#28 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm a freelance science journalist. I write about nerdy stuff for magazines and websites. Love the writing aspect, hate the journalism aspect -- I'd rather be a novelist (working on it).

I also make bread at an artisan bakery one day a week.

Skeptical scribbling dorkophile.
#29 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMySofie View Post
The girls playroom now has their silhouettes painted in a sandy beige color over pale peach walls, and they are at the beach. It is my most favorite room I have done to date. I am going crazy excited trying to figure out how I am going to paint in the new baby (God willing).
Pictures please!! This sounds gorgeous!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#30 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm finishing my PhD in English, and getting ready to start seminary in the fall. I realized a bit late in life that I want to be a pastor, so it's yet another 3 years of school
Right now, I'm teaching freshman English at a large midwestern university, and I'm ridiculously excited about finishing the semester and getting some time to write, sew, and breathe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page