Would you look for HB with doppler at 10w4d? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my first midwife appointment next week, and I will be 10 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I was really looking forward to hearing the heartbeat, but the recent "nervous" thread has me wondering if I should even have my mw try. I would be heartbroken if she didn't hear anything, and don't really want to have an ultrasound just for reassurance, but I would have to if she tried to hear the hb and couldn't find it! I could just wait, but my next appointment won't be until I'm 14 weeks, and by then I won't really be all that nervous like I am now (I had previous losses at 9 and 12 weeks, so one I make it to 13 I'll feel pretty good I think).

So, what would you do? Try the doppler in hopes of hearing the heartbeat, or just forgo even trying, knowing that 10 weeks is still early to be able to hear the heartbeat with a doppler?

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#2 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 PM

When I was pg with DS we looked for a HB at 11 weeks. The doctor was willing to try find one but even told me that it was early and if she couldn't find anything then it wasn't a reason to worry, it was just too early yet and she wouldn't order any further tests for me. We did find a HB right away and it was really nice to hear it. However I was quite slim at the time and I know that can make a big difference. I have my first appt next week and I'll be 11w3d and I hope we can find the HB again. But if they couldn't then I wouldn't have any tests, I would just ask if we could try again in say 2 weeks.

So I don't know what I would do in your shoes... it's a hard decision. It was so nice to hear the HB at the time but then again, not being able to find it would have made me really worried. Good Luck

27 yo mother of DS 02/07/09 & DD 11/13/10. 
#3 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 PM

I think I've pretty much always heard the heartbeat before 14 weeks, aside from my daughter... hmm. I heard the bean this time around 9 weeks 2 days. I would probably do it but go in knowing that it is extremely likely that it IS too early to hear anything just yet and that you don't NEED an u/s for reassurance.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#4 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 11:06 PM

If it were me, I would be okay with trying to find the heartbeat. But it just depends on whether you will get nervous or upset if your midwife can't find it. I'm not the type to worry too much. I would just chalk it up to being too early to find it. So I guess it's a personal decision. If not finding the hb would stress you out, I wouldn't try so early.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#5 of 16 Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Lurking.
I was only 8.5 weeks when I heard it on my home doppler. (angelsounds one.) I even had an anterior placenta. But in all fairness I think it was low down, the baby measured 9 weeks at that point, and I'm quite thin.

I would definately try but don't worry if you hear nothing!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#6 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM

If you are going to be heart broken to not hear it, then wait until your next appointment. I did that with my first two pregnancies--I just waited, because like you, I knew I would be upset or worried to not hear it.

This time, I just don't have that anxiety for some reason, so I had them try. My paralell care provider found it after a little hunting around--I was close to eleven weeks. My homebirth midwife had some trouble (she has a water proof doppler only, which is not as sensitive), but she found it faintly for a few seconds--I was close to twelve weeks for that one. So, it is possible to hear, but can be quite tricky.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#7 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

I had my 10w appointment on Tuesday. We looked for the hb and didn't find it. We'll find it pretty easily at the 14w appointment. I'm fine with that.

This first trimester uncertainty is hard to get through. But I just keep coming back to "it's out of my control."

Good luck with whatever you choose

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#8 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM

I heard my DD's heartbeat around 8.5 wks and heard this little bean's at 11.5 wks.

Also, I'm a fluffy woman.

Maybe I just got lucky? but with both my MW's never had an issue finding a heartbeat.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#9 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM

With DS they easily found the HB at my first appointment and I was about 10 weeks. With this baby, we found the HB (though it took a few minutes of looking) at 8 weeks.

If you are ok with not finding it, sure go ahead and try! If you think it will make you more nervous, don't.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#10 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 AM

I know U/S is a controversial subject, but my CNM group has one in the office, and with this pregnancy, I went in at 9 weeks to have a transvaginal U/S because I was so sick that they wanted to make sure it wasn't a molar pregnancy, twins, etc. I was ok with that, and actually felt like I needed to see my baby to "get in the mood", since I was quite surprised, and frankly, unhappy about the pregnancy at first. If you were to try to find the heartbeat, do they have an U/S machine right there in the office that they could give you reassurance with, if you were ok with that?

I've always heard mine at 10 wks, but I'm slim and always lose 10 pounds by that time due to severe MS.

Good luck, I'm sure your history of loss doesn't make this decision easy.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#11 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Crashing, but I wouldn't. I asked at 13 weeks to hear, and they couldn't find it. I wasn't too panicked because we'd seen the baby the week earlier on ultrasound (I have two care providers right now), but even though I'd promised the midwife at 13 weeks that I wouldn't be upset, I still couldn't help but worry until the next week when I had the nurse-midwife appt (and she found the hb). I have a very tilted uterus so even though I'm quite thin, it certainly affected our ability to hear early and I knew that going in. I wish I'd not insisted at 13 weeks though, not worth the uncertainty to me. Good luck!

Julie, mom to Ansel (Sept '07) and Amalia (Sept '10)
#12 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM

i went for an appt at 9 weeks 5 days and asked the MW if we could try to find it. She didn't try for too long, and we did not find it. She was totally unphased by this, saying that she always waits until after 10 weeks. And I am a worrier, but I wasn't worried enough to ask for an ultrasound (honestly, she is a HBMW, if I was at a birthing center, I prob. would have asked since they have the equip. right there--so not worried enough to go through the trouble of finding a place to have an US, I guess). I have my next appt. when I am 12w2d, and if I don't get to hear it then, I will definitely be requesting an US. Mostly because we will be doing some international travel in the coming weeks and I want to know the deal before we go. Also, because at that point I feel I've waited long enough--haha!
So, If I were you I would try....but don't get too worried if they don't find it.

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#13 of 16 Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first appt will be next week at 10w3d, and I told my MW I don't even need her to try for a HB. This is my 4th, and 3rd HB with her, and neither of the previous babies could be found this early. In fact, last time I think she came back after 2 weeks instead of 4 to try again (though now I'm not sure what week that was - 12 or 13?). Since I *know* it's hard to find on me (whether it's from "fluffiness" or perhaps uterine positioning or whatever), I've just decided not to worry until we hit 14 weeks, when it should be easier to find.

Of course, if she finds that my uterus is positioned where she thinks she can find it, I probably won't deny her a chance. I just won't be worried if she doesn't find anything.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#14 of 16 Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM

We tried today (I'm about 10 weeks and 5 days) and we couldn't hear the HB on the doppler. MW told me it's easier around 12 weeks. Sometimes, babies even move away from it & they move so fast it's hard to catch them.

Mary, wife to Christian, mama to Ale (5/31/07), and thrilled to be expecting #2 in November 2010
#15 of 16 Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM

Hey Yay, did you decide whether you'll listen for the hb?

I had a mw appt today at just about 13 weeks, my mw tried with two dopplers with no luck before she asked if we could peek with an us... It was fine
with me because I'm not much opposed to us. Well she *still* couldn't find even the fetus! She had to call an ob in, and once she did the scan, she immediately found the baby and strong hb. Kind of nerve racking!
#16 of 16 Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't decided yet. I see a home birth midwife, so there's no u/s equipment in the office. If I did feel the need to have an u/s, I'd have to make an appointment someplace else, and may have a co pay, which would be a huge hassle. So I really want to avoid that. The more I read and the more I think about it, I'm thinking I would be OK if I didn't hear the hb, but I wouldn't want to wait 4 more weeks to try again. So I think I will ask her to try, and if she can't find it, ask if I can make an appointment in 2 weeks to try again, instead of waiting the normal 4. That sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page