The Weekly Edition!! May 1-6 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 118 Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is number 2 for us but I would like to have more, despite our fertility troubles....I've been trying for years to get my husband used to the idea that people can and do have *gasp* more than 2 kids. I think it's terrible that anybody would judge anyone else on their family size, I'm sorry that so many mama's are going though this right now.

So we're midway through getting our basement developed and I'm getting irritated. Did you know that drywall installation is very, very noisy? Sounds like an angry elephant is cavorting in my basement, and it scares DD. I had planned on being out of the house most days but the weather here has been horrible (think 2 blizzards in a week) and I have no where to go and nothing to do. At least we had gymnastics class today and were able to escape and then hide out at my mom's house. We're doing this now because we need the space but I'm adding home renovations to my list of things NOT to do while pregnant.

On the plus side I had a delicious supper of sushi. Yum yum. I have no qualms about eating raw fish while pg.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#92 of 118 Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the support, mamas. I'm trying to relax tonight after a decent nap with the toddler. Indulging in cane sugar Dr. Pepper (from Dublin, TX, perhaps the only place that never switched to HFCS ), and DH just pulled Italian sausages off the grill.

Demeter, I hope your leads work out! My sister got married last August and moved to Chicago. They're not ready for children, yet, but I am hopeful it will not be too hard for her to find someone supportive of normal birth when it's time. We're in TX where the laws are (currently) great, so it's hard to think about being somewhere that's not supportive. I did just see two or three HBs in Chicago on Baby Story, though. I hope there's someone great near you!

I can't believe how many people are doing major house work! Yikes! I wish we had some experience... but my DH is NOT handy and I have never done anything, either. Oh, well. We are glad we have friends to call when we need to paint and do fixing up stuff!

Okay, dinner's ready!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#93 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i have my heart set on matt black tiles for the kitchen counters...with white cupboards and a black countertop. i think it will look great.
I love black and white kitchens! A friend of mine reused the slate tops of dicarded pool tables for her kitchen countertops. I never asked her where she found all of those pool tables.

I think I got three jabs from my baby today, I've been feeling a kind of swooshing movement for weeks but these felt like true kicks!

I feel for all of you not getting enough love when you've made your big announcements. What is it about pregnancy and parenting that invites so much judgement from other people?
#94 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
I had my oldest son when I was 15 years old. I was on state insurance because my grandma (my guardian) could not afford to insure me. I wrote up my very traumatic experience and posted it in the healing birth trauma forum. I think it has colored ALL of my birth experiences, coincidentally ALL inductions. I have never (aside from my miscarriage) gone into labor naturally. I will UC if I have to because I think the hospital seriously hinders my body from doing what it needs to do.
I had #1 when I was 17 after being told at 16 I would never have kids. I had a myomectomy and have had to fight a c-section every step of every pregnancy. Not to mention the terrible condescending attitude that many hospital employees give young parents. After I UC'd #4, I transferred for a piece of retained placenta and you would have imagined I was a kindergartener to many of them. Hello? I worked in healthcare for years and I'm a responsible mother of 4 now, give me a break! I can't blame you at all for wanting to UC. I think there are 1-2 homebirth midwives still up in Northern IL, maybe one close to IN, and one in/near WI if I'm recalling correctly. Have you found either of them?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#95 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I had #1 when I was 17 after being told at 16 I would never have kids. I had a myomectomy and have had to fight a c-section every step of every pregnancy. Not to mention the terrible condescending attitude that many hospital employees give young parents. After I UC'd #4, I transferred for a piece of retained placenta and you would have imagined I was a kindergartener to many of them. Hello? I worked in healthcare for years and I'm a responsible mother of 4 now, give me a break! I can't blame you at all for wanting to UC. I think there are 1-2 homebirth midwives still up in Northern IL, maybe one close to IN, and one in/near WI if I'm recalling correctly. Have you found either of them?
There are a handful in the area... a friend passed along a name and I emailed her yesterday. Last night she said she would call me today, so I'm awaiting the call! I'm actually quite excited about it.

I'm sorry for your experiences, sweetie. Women are strong and go through so much and yet are still able to come out on top. I had condescension from medical people... just because I didn't go to med school doesn't mean I don't know as much as you, lol. I've done a lot of educating myself.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#96 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 12:24 PM

joe'smama, that's a great idea~! the pool table counter tops i mean.

Demeter, i really hope that you find a midwife that suits you..if that is what you want. It is really nice to be able to have a choice in the matter, either way.

heatherB: i have been getting the odd blue sky natural cane sugar cola..for some reason i have a strong craving for caffeine this time around

my morning started out with a messy kitchen, spilt smoothie all over a nice linen tablecloth, my two year old, a white chair (cloth) and the floor
and me feeling very pissed off at my messy house..
so instead of going to my new house and painting im going to put on some loud indie rock music, kick my dp and children out of the house and try to clean up around here. i have been pretty apathetic, but when i cant find anything and there is sh%t all over the floor and clean laundry mixed with dirty and piles of it on my bedroom floor and bathroom too i have had enough. im still feeling exhausted, but me feeling irritated about the state of my house might just overpower that exhaustion until i get it under control again.. and im going to pack some more things up while i go..especially kitchen stuff.. my new kitchen has about 2 x as much cupboard space and counter space..im really going to love having somewhere to put things down without covering the entire surface.

so wish me luck. my house may eat me alive.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#97 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Demeter, before we decided on a midwife group at a hospital due to a few health concerns about me, I'd found a few homebirth midwives in the northern IL area. It looks like I shouldn't be posting the information publicly here, but is there a way I could pass you the information? You might well already have it, but it seems worth a try...
#98 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGreenie View Post
Demeter, before we decided on a midwife group at a hospital due to a few health concerns about me, I'd found a few homebirth midwives in the northern IL area. It looks like I shouldn't be posting the information publicly here, but is there a way I could pass you the information? You might well already have it, but it seems worth a try...

If you want pm me with the info. I found a pretty awesome website that had a lot more information than most for the area.

#99 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
my morning started out with a messy kitchen, spilt smoothie all over a nice linen tablecloth, my two year old, a white chair (cloth) and the floor
and me feeling very pissed off at my messy house..
so instead of going to my new house and painting im going to put on some loud indie rock music, kick my dp and children out of the house and try to clean up around here. i have been pretty apathetic, but when i cant find anything and there is sh%t all over the floor and clean laundry mixed with dirty and piles of it on my bedroom floor and bathroom too i have had enough. im still feeling exhausted, but me feeling irritated about the state of my house might just overpower that exhaustion until i get it under control again.. and im going to pack some more things up while i go..especially kitchen stuff.. my new kitchen has about 2 x as much cupboard space and counter space..im really going to love having somewhere to put things down without covering the entire surface.

so wish me luck. my house may eat me alive.
I'm cleaning house today too. My mother-in-law is coming for a visit (she's awesome and will take me out to eat ) and I feel compelled to shovel out of the clutter for her. I officially switched all my clothes to maternity clothes and that required cleaning my closet - gag!
#100 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 02:11 PM

My in-laws just left (yesterday) and I should be cleaning house, but I just can't muster the energy. Might have something to do with being 11 weeks pregnant and having a toddler who woke me up at 5:30! I think I'm going to lay on the couch and read for a bit, while DS is at preschool. Maybe after a bit I'll be able to get the floor swept and the toilet cleaned :/

BTW, I hate this stage of pregnancy. I've gotten over the excitement of getting pregnant, but I'm not showing and I can't feel the baby. For some reason I feel like I'm lying or playing a game when I mention being pregnant

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#101 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
If you want pm me with the info. I found a pretty awesome website that had a lot more information than most for the area.
BTW, today everyone in IL needs to call their rep and tell them to vote yes on the Home Birth Safety Act, which has a new bill number, SB3712. We're getting close!!!

#102 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
BTW, today everyone in IL needs to call their rep and tell them to vote yes on the Home Birth Safety Act, which has a new bill number, SB3712. We're getting close!!!

did and done!

#103 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Yay! I called, too. The guy who answered was a little confused. Probably b/c I'm terrible at talking on the phone, though.

#104 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

EEE! I really liked this midwife... I think I may go with her but she did suggest at least calling the one mw in my area. Not sure I even want to though, as much as I liked her.

#105 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

BTW, I hate this stage of pregnancy. I've gotten over the excitement of getting pregnant, but I'm not showing and I can't feel the baby. For some reason I feel like I'm lying or playing a game when I mention being pregnant
That exactly. Even now that I LOOK pregnant, I know it's mostly just bloating so I feel like a fraud. I'm so looking forward to feeling some kicks...then I will feel like this is really happening.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#106 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM

That's awesome, Nic!! I hope things work out with her for you.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#107 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Karen, I am *so* with you! I think that's why I've stopped telling random people.

Nic, so glad you loved the MW! That's awesome!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#108 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Today, , I was asked if I was pregnant on two separate occassions .

Finally the bump looks like a baby and not just fat

(11 weeks four days)
#109 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes, now that the fatigue is fading for the most part and the nausea is (mostly) gone, I'm stuck in limbo land until I start to get a little bigger. I'm wearing maternity clothes, but since I haven't even heard the heartbeat yet, it's all a little theoretical still.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#110 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Karen, I am *so* with you! I think that's why I've stopped telling random people.
90% of the people I've told have smiled and given me great big hugs. However, a couple people made mildly insulting comments. My dear MIL commented I shouldn't be showing until after the fourth month and a co-worker commented that she was "shocked" I had shared the information with anyone before the fourth month. (I chose to tell my closest friends after I saw the heartbeat on an ultrasound at week 10 and began telling others this week.)

In some ways it bothers me that they considered me somehow not pregnant enough yet. Eh, who knows, maybe they were having a bad day and everyone's entitled to an opinion. I've been warned by other mothers that I'm going to hear a lot of opinions about pregnancy and motherhood from people in the coming months.
#111 of 118 Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had one pair of pants that was still buttoning (it had been on the larger side to start with, and I lost a bunch of weight during the first trimester). The knee had gone out, but I was going to make them into cutoffs to continue to hold me over until I got around to finding some official maternity pants.

Then last night, I sat down on the couch and managed to jab a jagged dog chew bone into the back of my leg, tearing a hole in the seat, so, alas, the pants must be retired (unless I feel like patching them, I suppose).

I think I've popped recently, because my other pants, which were manageable before, aren't comfortable, even with the rubber band trick.

Guess I get to wear stretchy-waist skirts until I get around to finding something that works. I'm not really a skirt person.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#112 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Banned

So I thought m/s was over, but I had a near public vomiting incident outside a coffeeshop two days ago (managed to run into their bathroom, but I'm not sure that was better, I think I make a lot of noise!) I just got out of my car and it HIT me. Wilder than any time before. And I had just taken my fish oil caps!!! So I haven't taken THOSE since then. Gonna cut back to just my prenatal and then see about adding vit D back in a bit throughout the day.

But this morning I had m/s again just first thing up. So a hormone surge or something, baby's having a growth spurt?

UGHHHH. The good thing is, I get REALLY hungry with an actual desire for food now, but then can only eat a tiny bit. So that helps get good stuff in but not overeat.

I had dizziness earlier this week too, a whole day, right before all the m/s. If it had kept up I'd have gone in, but it turned into m/s I guess, and I figured I was just having a big hormone jump.

Ordered mat clothes! I needed cooler stuff for the spring/summer/hot fall here, and there were some good sales. Should be here soon! Also, I HATE shopping and online did not help at all. I still hated it. My brain fries on that. Explicate an e e cummings poem, no problemo. Shop for more than one item? (b/c who wants to have to go the mall AGAIN or pay flat shipping again?) Total overstimulation breakdown. Whew at least I should be done, except for maybe some bigger bras (SIGH at least DH is happy) down the line.

We are going to start interviewing MWs soon-- we're so blessed to be in a place with lots of good choices. I liked the CNM and OB practice my insurance sent me to okay, but it's just not the same when you have to navigate them saying stupid non-research based things, even when they are still laid back and very nice. I am hoping to keep having a healthy pregnancy so we can HB, because I have pretty much decided I WANT.
#113 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 AM

We told our kids the other night and dd was SO excited. She just kept giggling and laughing. I've enjoyed most ages so far but it's just fascinating to watch her as she approaches age 7-- she's really becoming so reasonable and thoughtful and so GROWN UP. I can see why 7 is considered the "age of reason" in many religions and cultures.

I'm pretty sure she's informed most of the town by now.

ds didn't really quite get it although he's asked for a baby brother before. His concept of time is not very solid yet- he still confuses "yesterday" and "tomorrow". Later that night he did ask "So there's a baby growing right NOW?"

Haven't told my boss yet-- trying to wait one more week.
#114 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
We told our kids the other night and dd was SO excited. She just kept giggling and laughing. I've enjoyed most ages so far but it's just fascinating to watch her as she approaches age 7-- she's really becoming so reasonable and thoughtful and so GROWN UP. I can see why 7 is considered the "age of reason" in many religions and cultures.

My daughter is almost 6 and it just keeps getting better! We'll see if my son is the same...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#115 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 AM

I had my CNM appt yesterday and everything went great. We heard the baby's heartbeat (160 bpm), all my bloodwork came back great, vitals good, etc. I gained a half a pound since three weeks ago, so that's good. She said that my uterus is the size of a softball.

I had a dream last night that I was holding my baby and I was gushing to my sisters about how cute she was and that I couldn't think of a name for her. I have really strong girl feelings, so I wonder if that means something...?

My goal for today is to make a fruit salad and to cut up the veggies I bought for dipping. I've had such a taste for fresh stuff, and am still struggling with being constipated despite the heaping teaspoon of Natural Calm that I chug down every morning.

I start back to work next week and am nervous about that, but amazingly, I was able to switch from part time to PRN, which basically means I can create my own schedule and work 4 hour shifts instead of 8's or 12's if that's too much for me. I know we all have different religious views but I hope you don't mind if I say thanks to God for always opening doors for me when I need something!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#116 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post
I know we all have different religious views but I hope you don't mind if I say thanks to God for always opening doors for me when I need something!
I am in total agreement with you there, Julie! This week we had two big blessings come through our front door...literally! One was a full size mattress set for our guest bedroom, almost unused and completely free! We have been wanting to buy one for a long time, but the money just was never there. This weekend our church youth group is having a huge rummage sale, and someone donated this bed...but our laws here prohibit selling used mattresses. So the youth pastor gave it to us for free! Then, a couple of days later, a couple in our church brought by a gently used crib and mattress set that they no longer needed. It is an older model, but in great condition and meeting current safety standards. We really couldn't afford to buy either of these things ourselves, so this was a big answer to prayer for us!

In other good news, my morning sickness really seems to be gone for good now! Yippee! I was complaining about it like crazy last week, until a good friend who is pregnant with her third reminded me that I was in the part of pregnancy in which the placenta takes over...so I was probably having a major surge of hormones as my body adjusted. Now I'm feeling much more normal and have a better appetite. This is especially good since according to my home scale, I had dropped nearly 5 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. Granted, I had a little room to lose, but I'm thinking now it's time to start putting on some baby weight.

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#117 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I know we all have different religious views but I hope you don't mind if I say thanks to God for always opening doors for me when I need something!
I had to think the same thing when my friend gave me my maternity clothes. What an expense to not have to have.
#118 of 118 Old 05-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, keep the stories coming I don't specifically believe in "God", but it's proven true for me in the past, and it's something I need to remember right now!

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page