working mommies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you told your boss yet? I keep putting it off. I tell myself one more week. I am a Nanny and am scared I will be let go but I am 14 weeks and outgrowing my clothing really rapidly.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM

I told my boss at 10 weeks, once we had an ultrasound and saw the heartbeat. I work at a gas station in a small town, so word was already going around.
#3 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 AM

I'm 17+weeks, and while my work clothes (scrubs) really hide it well, I told my boss last week for a few reasons.

#1-I wanted to tell the coworkers that I'm friendly with, and I figured it'd be unprofessional for my nurse-manager to hear it "through the grapevine"

#2-It legitimately gets me out of work I shouldnt be doing, like putting placentas or other specimens into formaldehyde or lifting/moving heavy patients.

#3-I didn't want to have to take any miscarriage/stillbirth patients.

Why do you think you'll be let go?

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#4 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 PM

I told my boss pretty early on with both of my pregnancies that I have had while here at this job. I pop fast, so it's not easy to hide there... and this time I was missing a lot of work from being sick and such... and now I'm covered under intermittent FMLA for it, so he has to know and deal with it.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#5 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 PM

I told my boss early last week. There was no way I could hide it any longer and I know some of my coworkers were starting to catch on.

Thankfully he was great about it. It was such a relief to have that taken care of.
#6 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM

I told at 13 weeks (although we thought I was 17, or I would have waited...)

A single mom, a student, and an aspiring midwife. Due with number 6 November 13th edd
#7 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy View Post

Why do you think you'll be let go?
Part of me thinks they set up the summer schedule the way they did to keep me happy because they wanted to keep me for september. Just worried they will make other arrangements. The kid is great and my son loves him so I am really hoping it works out.

Every day I go to work going I will do it tomorrow and then tomorrow rolls around and I say I will do it the next day. I feel bad that I didn't do it weeks ago. I seriously can't hide it much longer.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#8 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 PM

I had to tell my nurse manager as soon as I found out at 5 weeks because I was already starting to get super sick and knew I'd need a leave of absence. I just started back PRN a couple of weeks ago. If nobody knew though, they wouldn't be able to tell, because my scrubs totally disguise my belly!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#9 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Banned

I told my dept chair as soon as I heard the heartbeat. I told my principal when I went in for my evaluation (he did my last one b/c of issues my regular observer's having) and he commented on my not circulating much... I was like, not to make excuses, but that day I was lightheaded/dizzy and just trying not to vomit on the kids
#10 of 12 Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 PM

I told my boss right away because he lacks organizational skills to be able to cope with my leaving for two months. I wanted to give him plenty of time to sort out what he's going to do when his team leader/ backup supervisor leaves him all alone to deal with the departmental complaints and issues on his own.

Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.
#11 of 12 Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Is it really legal for your boss to let you go because you are expecting? Sorry if that shocks me, but here in Canada our jobs are legally protected once we are pregnant, even if you work for someone in a non-traditional setting. Workplaces pretty much have to accomodate your needs as well.

I told my boss I was 16 weeks and then quit, haha! I've been working part time to support my creative enterprises and it wasn't the greatest place to be considering my paycheque bounced more than once! I was also recently re-hired at a great job with the City for more hours and more pay which will help nicely when I file for my Maternity E.I.

My boss at the city job was soo excited to hear about my pregnancy and jumped up to hug me. She told me she will only assign me to sites with nearby bathrooms, lol! I love her.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#12 of 12 Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 PM

My boss was not thrilled at all when I told him. Most people where I work have never had kids. Between that and the difficulty I'm having missing out on important events in my kids lives, as well as not being very able to take off when they're sick, has me very stressed out.

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page