If you aren't finding out, do you have a "feeling"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
This is kind of a shoot-off thread about finding out the gender of your baby.

So, if you aren't finding out the gender, do you have any kind of intuition about whether it's a boy or a girl?

Once I tell people we aren't finding out (the dating u/s I had at 13 weeks (b/c my mw said i felt "big") will be our only one), they immediately ask if I have a feeling which it is.

I literally have no feeling one way or the other, no instinct telling me which it will be. DH swears it's a girl, says once he saw the profile on the u/s screen he just knew. I keep wanting to say I think it's a boy, just to play devil's advocate, but I really don't know.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a pretty strong feeling that we're having a boy. Like, I'll be incredibly shocked if my husband announces that it's a girl. I'd love either gender, but I'm getting all boy vibes.
#3 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM

I'm convinced I'm having a boy. That being said, I don't really care either way but I will also be surprised if it is a girl, and given that I'm so sure about boy it is probably a girl after all!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#4 of 25 Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM

I am 100% sure im having a boy.. but I also get a really strong girl feeling
so if my inklings are correct boy/girls twins

weirdly enough when my sister found out I was pregnant she said she was pretty sure I was having twins even before I had said anything...actually I haven't told anyone but my DP what im thinking because Im probably just crazy.

can I just say that I really dont want 2 babies right now? I would be more than happy with just 1 healthy babe.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 AM

Oh yeah, Fern, I hear you....twins right now would be too much for me to handle, too! The likelihood of me having twins based on my fundal height, etc. is pretty much nil.

I had a very strong feeling with my first 3 - I had my tarot cards read before I even thought about having kids, and the lady said that I would have 3 kids: my first would be born when I was 28 and would be a girl, stubborn like me, the 2nd would be a boy born 2 years later and would have a sense of humour like his dad, and the 3rd would be a girl, born 2 years later. Well, my oldest was born a month before I turned 29, and the gender/spacing has been right on. But there was no mention of a fourth, and so I am left without any indicators. We tried to time things to have a boy, but dh's family tends to have girls (our ds is the only boy grandchild on dh's side out of 9).

So....we'll see. The u/s techs here will no longer tell you the gender of the baby as a part of a routine obstetrical u/s, so even if we wanted to know, we couldn't find out. I guess we'll find out in November!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#6 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're not finding out. We've got three boys, and according to the ridiculously small sample sizes in DH's family, they "only make boys." (I know I've said this elsewhere, but there are - including my 3 - only 11 people in 4 generations born to this family! They really all oughta be glad we're taking care of continuing the family line, since everyone else slacked off. )

That being said, I started off with no inkling. Then, I've kept running into a very strong subconscious feeling that this is a girl. As in, I catch myself thinking about "her," and wonder where in the world the gender-specific pronouns are coming from. When I was planning to call my dad and thinking of what I'd say, I had to consciously focus on saying "grandchild," and NOT "granddaughter." When I spoke to him, and used the neutral term, he said, "I knew you were calling to tell me I was having a new granddaughter!" FWIW, these are his only grandchildren so far.

My boys are absolutely set on this being a girl. And that's normally what I tell people when they ask. Then, it's not about me, it's about the sweet boys who can't wait to meet their baby. Many are surprised to hear they want a girl, but I think it's wonderful! DH also hopes it's a girl - for the first time. (He's been undecided with previous babies.) Mostly he hopes it's a girl so we get one, and don't need to think about more kids. But I think he really wants one, and so I am really hoping he gets that. How awesome would it be?!

The downside for me is that, while I knew intuitively that DS1 was a boy, I was quite convinced (on a cerebral level, not an intuitive one) that both #2 and #3 were girls. So, I'm not batting at a very high average here, which makes me veeery cautious. I am really trying to prepare myself for either eventuality, so as not to be disappointed either way. I know I'll be sad if we don't have a girl, though. We've waited and wished for one for many years (after having NO interest in girls, I suddenly had a yearning for one before I conceived #2). But, there are certainly benefits to having all the same gender! We sort of have an idea of what we'd be getting into.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 AM

My husband was traveling this week, and one night said, "So what do you think the baby is?" I honestly had no response. No idea.

This pregnancy has been VERRRRRY different from my boys' pregnancies. I was really nauseated all the time, and just feeling more pregnant. I can't believe that that early in a pregnancy sex hormones could really make much of a difference. It was smack dab in the middle of allergy season, and I'm now chasing two kids, so maybe that was the difference?

Either way I'll be psyched. I love the idea of a pack of boys...and we live in a tiny house so having three boys would certainly make rooms easier.

But a little girl...

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#8 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM

We have three boys, and just in the ways this pregnancies is different from theirs makes me think 'girl' but I don't feel I "know" that is is one.

Differences: FAST heartbeat (like 20-30 bpm faster than any of the boys have been), very sore and fast growing breasts, worst 24/7 nausea of them all, not as hungry as with the boys (only gained 3lbs so far, with the boys it was like 15-20 by now). Hmmmm....

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#9 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM

I've got 3 boys too and we're not planning on finding out the gender of this one either. Like Heather, I was convinced on a cerebral level that the last one was a girl, to the point I didn't even bother with boy names, just girl ones.

So when Nicholas was born, I was like, ARe ya sure that's a boy??

Needless to say, I don't trust my intuition about this one's gender at all. I have not the remotest inkling of what this babe will be. But I do find myself still obsessing on girl's names)
#10 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I had a dream couple nights that it was a girl.

I was pretty sure with my last pregnancy that it was a girl though, everyone thought it would be actually, but alas, it was a beautiful baby boy. This will probably be our last one so I'm kinda hoping for a girl, kinda terrified of having one too. Either gender will be great though
#11 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my kidlets and me View Post
Oh yeah, Fern, I hear you....twins right now would be too much for me to handle, too! The likelihood of me having twins based on my fundal height, etc. is pretty much nil.

I had a very strong feeling with my first 3 - I had my tarot cards read before I even thought about having kids, and the lady said that I would have 3 kids: my first would be born when I was 28 and would be a girl, stubborn like me, the 2nd would be a boy born 2 years later and would have a sense of humour like his dad, and the 3rd would be a girl, born 2 years later. Well, my oldest was born a month before I turned 29, and the gender/spacing has been right on. But there was no mention of a fourth, and so I am left without any indicators. We tried to time things to have a boy, but dh's family tends to have girls (our ds is the only boy grandchild on dh's side out of 9).

So....we'll see. The u/s techs here will no longer tell you the gender of the baby as a part of a routine obstetrical u/s, so even if we wanted to know, we couldn't find out. I guess we'll find out in November!

mine feels like its measuring pretty large. its about a finger width above my belly button now at 18w4d but im not basing it on that..just a feeling I have. which I truly hope is wrong

I had tarot readings with my first two but it was more to predict the pregnancy than to say what the gender was. I always just had a very strong intuition that hasn't let me down yet.

interesting about your tarot reading!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#12 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm a little worried that there might be twins in there too. I used clomid/IUI to get pregnant and I haven't done any ultrasounds yet so anything is possible I guess but I really want just one at a time, thanks! The fertility clinic quoted an 8% chance of twins, and told me to get an early u/s to "count sacs". So far I still think one, I'm measuring a little ahead but it's my second. I find out for sure on Monday though, when I have my u/s.

#13 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 PM

we already have a girl and a boy and aren't finding out ahead of time with this babe. so far, my intuition has been right with each pg. i've gotten a feeling from very early on with each pg. i have a very strong feeling that this one is a girl. we could care less what the sex is, just happy to be blessed again, but i do think i'll be a bit shocked if it's a boy. dh, on the other hand, will probably dance around from the sheer glee at me being wrong, lol. he's always been quick to playfully argue with me right up until the big u/s. i think i'm really just looking forward to the "it's a ..." announcement at the birth since this is the first time we've been team green!
#14 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've had two dreams it was a boy and feel pretty strongly that it is. I don't care which way, honestly, but I have been right 4 times so far, so I think my odds are decent.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#15 of 25 Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM

I have no feeling I call the baby "him" and "her" randomly. I kind of wish I had a feeling, but I probably wouldn't trust it anyway
#16 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 PM

I had a dream early on that it was a girl, but now I have a strong feeling it's a boy.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#17 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Surprisingly, and kind of sadly, I have *no* feeling in either direction. Everyone at work, and even my 4 year old nephew, is telling me it's a boy, though, so we'll see.....

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#18 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 AM

Okay, so I have this weird theory because I have 6 friends plus me who all had a girl for #1 within a year of each other. We are all pregnant or just had #2. So far 4/7 are boys, one was just born this weekend. 3 still unknown (and one due any day now). I'm so SURE that we are all having boys I hope nobody ruins my pattern (yes I am a little neurotic! Plus I'm the last one due so just watch I'll be the one to buck the trend and have a girl.

#19 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM

Very interesting to see what happens with you and your friends, Laura! My friends and I had our first babies in about a 1.5 year span - March 2001 to October 2002. Of the four, I had the only boy. In the next round, 3 of 4 had boys. That left two of us with the same gender children - me with two boys, and M with 2 girls. It does seem that we'll have a wave of all the same gender in our church, too!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#20 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 AM

Hi all, I'm new here

We aren't finding out the sex but we've both had strong "boy" vibes right from the start. We had a 20-week ultrasound and my partner said he thinks he could see what it was... he won't say what he thinks it is but I am 99% sure (based on just my intuition and his reaction to the u/s) that it's a boy.
#21 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM

I am thinking girl again...but my in-laws and SIL are ruining my intuition! My daughter was the first granddaughter for them after three boys, so the pressure was on that time...and now my other SIL (not the one with three boys) just found out that she is having a boy (her first) two weeks after me. When my SIL with 3 boys found out, she cackled with glee...and said "Good!" as in--if I don't get a girl, she doesn't get a girl. And then she said that my daughter might be the only girl if I have a boy. So now I want to have a girl for all the wrong reasons! Haha! Actually, I don't care either way, we are not planning on stopping here anyways...I just wish other people would stop chiming on on their own preference for our baby's sex.
So to answer the question, I have no idea.

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#22 of 25 Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I said when I started this thread that I had no idea, but as time goes by I'm thinking "boy" more and more. I've had a couple boy dreams, and while I was trying on maternity clothes the sales lady looked at me and said, "Boy, definitely." It's starting to feel right. I'm thrilled either way, though!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#23 of 25 Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM

I keep thinking boy... You can't tell I'm pregnant from the back. My (tmi) discharge isn't eating through my panties, lol. I don't have the same cravings I had with my daughter... and I just get the sense that it's a boy. I kind of really want to go find out but I think it will be so rewarding to wait for the end surprise.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#24 of 25 Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 AM

I have been thinking girl but am waffling a bit now. I think I'm mostly afraid of disappointment if it's NOT a girl. Sigh. But, on the other hand, I have wanted to be open to both possibilities, especially since we are not finding out. So, maybe that's what's happening.

#25 of 25 Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM

I have been thinking from the very beginning that it's a girl. It started out with just a gut feeling. Then as my pregnancy progressed, a lot of coincidental stuff (mostly old wives tales-type things) have been happening.

I was pretty sick in the beginning and just now at 18wks I have not gained any weight. The majority of women I know gained much more weight (and had less m/s) when they were pregnant with boys. Also every time someone looks at my belly bump they tell me I'm having a girl because I'm carrying high. So yeah it's all just anecdotal, and I won't be disappointed if we have a boy, but it'll be interesting to see what we end up having. We're not planning on finding out, we want to be surprised. In the meantime, I refer to the baby as "he" because it makes DH happy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page